News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translating a transcription of FMV dialogue from a 3DO game  (Read 2838 times)

goldenband

• View Profile
Over at the 3DO boards, poster and native speaker FUJISAN was kind enough to agree to transcribe the dialogue from some of the FMVs in the Japanese-exclusive 3DO game Wacky Races 2: In Space (aka Chiki-Chiki Machine Mou Race 2: In Space, or チキチキマシン猛レース 2 イン スペース).

Here's his transcription of villain Dick Dastardly's opening speech:

諸君!待たせたな!オレ様の事を思い出したか?

そう、ブラック大魔王様だよ! ハハハハハ!

前回の作戦は「T-BONE WREX」とかいう骨骨野郎に、ぶっ潰されてしまったが、
今回は、そうはいかねえぞ!

ここに「ブラック天国大作戦パート2」の開始を宣言する!

間もなく、オレ様の悪の大要塞「ブラックスター」も完成する。

我が「ブラックスター」には無敵の破壊力を誇る、「ケンケンボンバー」が搭載されているんだ。

辿り着くどころか、近づく事さえも出来ないだろうよ。
しかも、オレ様が握っている最後の切り札はな!

オイ・・!、お前!
・・・そこの間抜け顔をしてる、お前だよ!

そいつが何なのか知りたければ、オレ様の所まで辿り着いてみせるんだな!

期待しないで待っててやるぞ!  

ナハハハハ !

I've made the following very rough attempt at translation, with my very poor Japanese-language skills, some help from FUJISAN, and good ol' Google Translate:

Gentlemen! I've been waiting! Do you remember me?

Yes, it's me, Mr. Dick Dastardly! Ha ha ha ha!

Last time, my plans were foiled by that jerk "T-BONE WREX", but this time I won't let that happen!

Let me introduce you to my latest grand strategy: the Black Sky Fortress #2!

Soon, my fortress of evil will be complete. And to prove its invincible, destructive power, my "Hopping Bomber" will be loaded with weapons.

It will be impossible to even get near it! And I have one more secret up my sleeve...

...Hey, you! Yeah, funny-looking, I mean you!

If you want to know who my trump card is, prove yourself by reaching my fortress!

I won't be expecting you! Muah-ha-ha-ha-hah!

However, I'm quite sure this isn't 100% accurate, especially the middle part.  Suggestions for improvement?

Right now this isn't a candidate for any kind of script insertion or dub, but if I ever figure out how to add subtitles to FMVs, you never know...

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
Re: Translating a transcription of FMV dialogue from a 3DO game
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 07:02:31 pm »
you can try downloading a video subtitle editor software here:http://code.google.com/p/subtitleedit/downloads/detail?name=SubtitleEdit-3.3.4-Setup.zip&can=2&q= & then you would open the game's ISO file find the video file of that part then start the program with the video file after that your set to add translation subs ;-)

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 12:09:55 am »
you can try downloading a video subtitle editor software here:http://code.google.com/p/subtitleedit/downloads/detail?name=SubtitleEdit-3.3.4-Setup.zip&can=2&q= & then you would open the game's ISO file find the video file of that part then start the program with the video file after that your set to add translation subs ;-)

That won't help much if the video uses a funky codec and/or is compressed. Editing FMV videos in ISOs isn't that simple.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 12:44:03 am »
I understand it's more than to only just that but just more of a beginners step. Yes I know he'll/she'll have to compress the file to a different extension and a while bunch of stuff like so

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 01:06:21 am »
DSwizzy145, you don't seem to understand how computers, particularly video encoding, work. Please educate yourself.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 05:40:31 pm »
I think at least some of the 3DO library uses Cinepak, but I get the impression there were other codecs used as well.  I haven't extracted the relevant assets yet, so that's a ways away.

Anyway, tech discussion aside, anyone want to assess/correct/ridicule the translation?  :)

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 06:56:26 pm »
@Kiyoshi Aman FYI I Do know alot about computers & true i don't know much about how video editing/subtitling works (I did had Film Class & Computer Classes) so technically i do just not for game files & sorta stuff