News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Journey to Silius Forever(NES) - music/title screen design help wanted  (Read 5122 times)

alzen

• View Profile
Hi there rom hackers! Maybe some of you remember that I'm the author of Journey to Silius Plus V1 hack. Some liked it, some didn't; still, many of you had some fun playing it :happy:

As you can see in topic, I don't plan to release V2 version of my hack. As I was joined by Dizzy9, very talented NES hacker from our local Polish NES hacking community we are going to make something much, much bigger 8)

The case is, none of us are is good in creating kicking ass music and graphics so we're searching for someone to help us out. It's a good chance for authors of the best projects to make it to ending credits of leading Journey to Silius hack.

You are free to do what you want but do it good. You can create completely new music theme or make ass kicking remix - your choice; same with title screen, there must be "Journey to Silius Forever" written and a few menu entries(like entry1, entry2, entry3 - the winner will be contacted via private message and we will discuss suggestion of changes and real menu entries). Dizzy9 is completely rewriting the title screen so feel free to show all your potential. Title screen can be animated of course, it's up to you.

We plan to release the hack in 3/4 months; we don't rush so you have some time guys.

This topic is running also on nintendoage.com forums:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=102643
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:39:14 am by alzen »

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
Good luck with that, sounds like a cool cause!

The biggest problem would be creating "Sunsoft esque" music, especially with the limited bassline DPCM samples.  Or you could go the cheaper route and swap music out from other Sunsoft games, like Fester's Quest, Batman ROTJ, and Gimmick.  :P

Good luck sir!

Carnivol

• Consider it a privilege!
    • View Profile
Journey to Silius love is the best love! Wish you all the best with this project.  :beer:

The biggest problem would be creating "Sunsoft esque" music, especially with the limited bassline DPCM samples.  Or you could go the cheaper route and swap music out from other Sunsoft games, like Fester's Quest, Batman ROTJ, and Gimmick.  :P

I believe it'd be better to create "Journey to Silius"-esque music than borrowing from other SunSoft games (where I think RotJ, Ufouria and Gremlins would be the best sources). Problem is that despite the tracks in SunSoft games being easy to recognize as "SunSoft Music", their games also have such distinct sounds/styles to tham that would make any track from any other game feel out of place in Journey to Silius.

Dizzy9

• View Profile
Any music style is ok, technically. No new sound channels, only standard ones.
DPCM can be used, but can be difficult.
Music can be written in Famitracker. Max music file size is 8192 bytes after exporting to bin. But, believe me-it's hard to achive, and you don't need to worry about that.

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
So is this a Journey to Silius with new Graphics, music, and levels?

And are you using the Journey to Silius music engine for the music?

alzen

• View Profile
Hmm, I cannot tell you what's in the changelog now, it's a secret. I can only say that many things people expect to change in this hack won't change, but a lot of things they don't even expect to be there, will be there.

I will tell Dizzy9 to answer your question as he is technical guy and the coder here.

Dizzy9

• View Profile
So is this a Journey to Silius with new Graphics, music, and levels?

And are you using the Journey to Silius music engine for the music?
I could, but since alzen wants to have new music only at title screen, I'll go with famitracker engine. It'll be faster than disassembling Silius engine.

alzen

• View Profile
I wouldn't mind if someone creates the minimalistic version of the title music from the original, or any other music from JTS. I doesn't have to be as complex as Sunsoft's theme; it just must feel right on the title screen.

You're free do do anything that fits there and sounds good, there're no rules you must follow. Use your imagination and do your best.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 08:46:51 am by alzen »