News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Glory of Heracles IV Script Translated  (Read 24378 times)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: Translations: Glory of Heracles IV Script Translated
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2013, 02:35:46 pm »
I've used Mednafen to hack a PCE game. It's pretty good, just takes some time to get used to. I believe you need to use a controller to use the debugger and play a game concurrently.

Merta

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 10:14:08 pm »

Yeah & also don't forget about Down The World Mervlin's Ambition, Wonderous Magic (I believe it was called) & Gokinjo Bokentai which feels alot resembled as Mother 2/Earthbound ;)

Gokinjo looks interesting. I noticed the parody of the MGM Lion and also how much the "set design" resembles ALTTP. OK, the field abilities, that hookshot used in the video, do sort of sell me on this. Yeah I'd play it.

However, Ruin Arm(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBudvgY5a7M) hasn't even been mentioned yet even if it is on Translation Nation and it may put Gokinjo in close competition. It looks like a pretty good Zelda-esque Action-RPG but I've heard that it is not that enjoyable. Granhistoria also looks quite good but I have no idea if anybody is even currently translating it. Yep, there are close to double the amount of Super Famicom games(1,442) compared to SNES(784) games and that is excluding the over 230 games for the BS Satellaview accessory for the Super Famicom. It will be a long time before we hit rock bottom. I just wish that I could help.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 01:18:54 am »
Ruin Arm sounds good, but I suppose one should have cautious optimism around a Bandai game (known for mediocrity). (it credits Plex, who also is credited for the FC Vilgust, which was an okay game. But I don't know if Plex is a game company or anime company.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 08:52:42 am »
<----- Gokinjo avatar

Naah. I think Neighborhood Story sucks. Please don't translate it!  ;)

Kay

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 11:32:39 am »
Why do they keep calling her Rydia (I thought I've heard at least a few suggest it should by Lydia), and did nobody mention Ceodore to them?
I thought someone (maybe Sky Render?) once suggested Mash in FF6 should be Matthew.
Kana マッシュ. Don't they typically use シ to end kana-ized "sh"-ending words? (as in, "mash" should be マーシ?) (then again, the GBA script did use Woolsey's names. Wherever he came up with "Sabin", it stuck.)

Well, they are names for their own invented characters and there are many variations of spellings and pronunciations for any name so I think sticking with Rydia makes the version of the name unique in a way, even though it clearly is based on Lydia. R and L are variations of the same sound/letter for a Japanese, like Marcus/Markus are for us, for example.

Mash always reminded me of mashed potatoes, since the Japanese spelling of that English loanword is マッシュポテト. I and u both tend to become part of the preceding consonant (and thus silent) so when you need a syllable ending in a consonant both kana ending in i or in u can be used.

Also they allowed translators to use differing names, didn't they? I know they restored Aeris/th to the spelling resembling earth in KH and Dissidia but since I haven't played these games in English myself I'm not aware if they went back to other "Engrish" names besides that one. Tina is still Terra, isn't she?

I don't think the people behind the GoH series are particular experts in Greek mythology. I believe each game has its share of mistakes and errors, made up crap etc.
Well yeah. Best way to see GoH is like a kind of parody. I mean, the trojan horse. In 3 it protects the party from being inhaled. In Proof of Soul it is basically a tank used to tear down city walls.

Also, you don't need to use Fire Pillar Ball for the update. I'm actually using Fire Ball for a Heracles translation of my own.
We will also use the shorter term, yes.

Merta

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 04:56:02 pm »
Ruin Arm sounds good, but I suppose one should have cautious optimism around a Bandai game (known for mediocrity). (it credits Plex, who also is credited for the FC Vilgust, which was an okay game. But I don't know if Plex is a game company or anime company.)

That's Famicom Vilgust right? The one with the action-oriented random encounters.  If so, I actually really quite liked that game what with its battle system that it had.

What little I've heard of Ruin Arm is about the cautious optimism. Still, I really like Action-RPGs, and one more in the pan would make me a happy person. If only I was talking to a fan transla........uhhhh, excuse me.

OK, thank you for being facetious ChronoMoogle. Now I can lobby for that game to be translated by using its English name. Neighborhood Story it is!

Of course, it will have to be in the long line behind Rejoice, Aretha I and II, and Princess Minerva but it will be in the front of the line after Granhistoria.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 06:40:29 pm »
Granhistoria also looks quite good but I have no idea if anybody is even currently translating it.

Yes, this is being worked on (and in fact is quite far along, too) though I can't comment beyond that.

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 06:59:43 pm »
@Merta Yeah Ruin Arm hasn't been really been mentioned to any ROM Hackers/Translators as of yet but lucky i've been using a photo translator app on my android for some quick translating on a few Horror Visual Novels & Love Quest ;) it's been pretty accurate so far.

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 07:23:04 pm »
Yes, this is being worked on (and in fact is quite far along, too) though I can't comment beyond that.
ohhhhhhh, so intrigued now!!

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2013, 07:27:06 pm »
You could make the claim that various people in the community are working on these so-called "great" SNES RPG's. Some formerly announced, others not so much.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2013, 07:27:18 pm »
Nice to hear. I know it's usual for you to go years without comment on some projects :) , but I thought this was one game officially on the "dropped" list (like Metal Max Famicom or Dracula II).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2013, 08:06:24 pm »
Speaking of other games needing translating my thought would be one of the next batch should be Zakuro No Aji, Shin Heisei Onigashima (Part 2 imo ;)) which i've also mentioned in my script help thread I made not to long ago & Solid Runner... perhaps maybe?

Merta

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2013, 08:29:41 pm »

Sounds very good to me, I do remember some commentary about it last year but I didn't see anything beyond that. I am guessing that it is not a prequel to Radiant Historia, even with the names and the time travelling element. Thank you for your response.

April 29, 2013, 08:33:59 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
@Merta Yeah Ruin Arm hasn't been really been mentioned to any ROM Hackers/Translators as of yet but lucky i've been using a photo translator app on my android for some quick translating on a few Horror Visual Novels & Love Quest ;) it's been pretty accurate so far.

Sorry for a double post, but you are busy translating Love Quest? I watched one of those Let's NOT Play videos on it and it looks interesting to say the least. So it's an Adventure-RPG? I haven't seen anything about the battle system.

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2013, 08:56:42 pm »
@Merta The Battle System particularly in Love Quest is like any other average RPG like Earthbound, Dark Kingdom, Wizardary, etc... your enemies are " Street Chicks" "OL's" & the ones who'll end up joining you ;) and there's different cities you'll visit throughout the Game. Many Wacky/Crazy looking citizens like Earthbound lol :p if you want to see more Gameplay here ya go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_3Jb7C_1q4

Merta

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2013, 09:26:19 pm »
@Merta The Battle System particularly in Love Quest is like any other average RPG like Earthbound, Dark Kingdom, Wizardary, etc... your enemies are " Street Chicks" "OL's" & the ones who'll end up joining you ;) and there's different cities you'll visit throughout the Game. Many Wacky/Crazy looking citizens like Earthbound lol :p if you want to see more Gameplay here ya go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_3Jb7C_1q4

Watching it. What is with the guy's head in that hole in that subway station? So you could get that drunken girl in the video to fight with you? It looks nice. I wouldn't mind seeing it fully fan translated.

Speaking of other games needing translating my thought would be one of the next batch should be Zakuro No Aji, Shin Heisei Onigashima (Part 2 imo ) which i've also mentioned in my script help thread I made not to long ago & Solid Runner... perhaps maybe?

any game from here should get first, and I mean first priority......http://fantasyanime.com/garden/translations-main.htm. That would include Elfaria II, Dual Orb, and Akazukin(SP?) Chacha. I could talk about Hero Senki, but this list already gives a very good idea.

About the PC-Engine console, there are some attractive RPGs for that console also. I know that somebody has announced, on here, that they will be working on Cosmic Fantasy I.

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2013, 09:48:50 pm »
Lmao! nah not exactly but you can only battle during random encounters like any rpgs or sometimes talking to chicks you end up battling too i believe.

Merta

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2013, 10:10:21 pm »
I wonder what would happen if one developed an Android ROM translation app.

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2013, 10:18:52 pm »
A man can only Dream :laugh: though that would be a sweet idea at first but i don't think that's EVER possible in a million years imho but the ONLY thing that's very quite close is CamDictionary for android ;) very awesome app to use you won't regret it bro!

Merta

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2013, 10:23:45 pm »
A man can only Dream :laugh: though that would be a sweet idea at first but i don't think that's EVER possible in a million years imho but the ONLY thing that's very quite close is CamDictionary for android ;) very awesome app to use you won't regret it bro!

It's been my dream, for a while, to see a program that has coding allowing text conversion from Japanese to English through compatible standards(for example Japanese letter=A, therefore whenever that letter is seen, the program will always translate it into A). So it will run through any game program and it would automatically translate any text to its English counterpart making it easy to go through a game with less hassle. That way, the whole Super Famicom library would be converted to English through the use of a program.

Now I know that there is more to ROM translating than that, but I would like to hold onto a dream of a Universal Translation Program(UTP) because without dreams, life can be pretty boring.

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2013, 10:35:23 pm »
Pretty much the app i just mentioned for android can "Kinda" do it but it takes a long while for to be able to translate a Japanese sentence accurately which i had sorta been troubled with.