News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Glory of Heracles IV Script Translated  (Read 23818 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Glory of Heracles IV Script Translated
« on: April 23, 2013, 06:27:27 pm »

Update By: KingMike

It's wonderful news that Nightcrawler has fully inserted a translated script for Glory of Heracles IV for SNES.
Looks like a great game.

However Nightcrawler still has a ton of work ahead of him, as pretty much all other aspects of the game still need work. He has mentioned before that, perhaps no surprise to anybody who has tried to play the game before, hacking the menus is going to be a nightmare of work. They feature very intensive use of the SNES' HDMA effects, and they already look pretty full in the Japanese original. It'll be amazing to see what Nightcrawler (and DaMarsMan, if he's still participating) can pull off in the end, though.
Nightcrawler hopes to get a menu system that is at least functional off to his translator to play through the game for an additional script check.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://transcorp.romhacking.net/)

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
Re: Translations: Glory of Heracles IV Script Translated
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 08:51:42 pm »
Awesome News!! :D Can't wait for it's english patch release tomorrow :thumbsup:

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 10:02:07 pm »
Awesome News!! :D Can't wait for it's english patch release tomorrow :thumbsup:

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 10:08:27 pm »
Is someone going to make sure all the terms, names etc are Greek instead of Roman? I do recall that the translation for 3 had some of the Gods names as their Roman counterparts instead of the Greek ones. Although I don't think that was entirely the fault of the translation, just something Data East screwed up on. Also, there's the Mast Ball item, which is likely in the game. That item name is actually the result of a typo in the original game and is actually supposed to be 'Fire Pillar Ball' instead. I guess just an FYI, but excellent news nonetheless.

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 10:53:59 pm »

lol you guys do usually get stuff done quick sometimes just joking

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 11:05:01 am »
Is someone going to make sure all the terms, names etc are Greek instead of Roman? I do recall that the translation for 3 had some of the Gods names as their Roman counterparts instead of the Greek ones. Although I don't think that was entirely the fault of the translation, just something Data East screwed up on. Also, there's the Mast Ball item, which is likely in the game. That item name is actually the result of a typo in the original game and is actually supposed to be 'Fire Pillar Ball' instead. I guess just an FYI, but excellent news nonetheless.

The translator Kay is actually the guy who did 3. I believe the names/items were also checked to be in alignment with 3. So, it's likely that such issues may have carried over.

Mast Ball (ほばしらのたま) does seem to be present. The original Japanese there is in error?

Kay is pretty good with Greek mythology, but I'm not. So, I will pass any items raised here on to him. I'm sure he would want to know and correct. So, speak up on specific ones you recall, or the same mistakes may be made! I can post some of the lists if that might help.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 12:28:48 pm »
The details escape me as it's been too long. All that would need to be done is compare the names against a list of Greek gods.

As for the Mast Ball, this was a DvD discovery.

This one is the most interesting.  We translated it also as MastBall before we
saw the manual, but it never made any sense.  From the GoH1 manual, you can see
the original kanji for this, which is:
火柱の玉 = ひばしらのたま = Pillar of Fire Ball(s)
vs
帆柱の玉 = ほばしらのたま = Sail Pillar    Ball(s) = Mast Ball(s)
But the DECO programmers made a typo on the first hiragana character changing
the "hi" to a "ha" which completely changed the meaning.  Oops!!
What's funny is that the in-game name stuck and DECO used it for the later
games in the series.

This is a judgment call on your part, but I think it makes more sense to change it to Fire Ball since that's basically what it should be.

To state it another way, you basically have one name that is basically an in-house joke and doesn't make sense and then you have the originally intended name which does make sense. Without reading something like a readme, which most seem to skip, this Mast Ball wouldn't make much sense to players.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 12:55:07 pm by Pennywise »

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 01:26:03 pm »
Nice, been waiting on this one for a while. Good that there's been progress.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 02:53:25 pm »
Thanks for posting the progress! I played the original until I got stuck some time ago. I like the game and would love to play the translation once it is done :thumbsup:

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 04:32:18 pm »
To state it another way, you basically have one name that is basically an in-house joke and doesn't make sense and then you have the originally intended name which does make sense. Without reading something like a readme, which most seem to skip, this Mast Ball wouldn't make much sense to players.
And then the writers probably went on to write for Square (who will defend their Engrish names)... :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Merta

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 12:09:59 pm »
So let's see.......the first three games were fully fan translated, the Gameboy game was fully fan translated and the DS game got fully localized. So if this game gets fully fan translated, than that means that all of the games, in this series, will be available to play completely in English.

It's great to know that there is progress with it, as it looks like a very good game. Whatever state it will be in, in the end, will probably be a good state.

noneother

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 10:25:40 pm »
One of the last (potentially) great untranslated Snes RPGs, if Glory of Heracles 3 is anything to go by. Can't wait.

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 05:54:22 am »
Well, I've seen it listed as 名作 ("masterpiece") a few times on the Japanese intarwebs, if that's anything to go by.

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 01:34:05 pm »
One of the last (potentially) great untranslated Snes RPGs, if Glory of Heracles 3 is anything to go by. Can't wait.

Not true.  At all.  Not even close.  Still waiting on Far East of Eden Zero, Chaos Seed, Ys 5, Lady Stalker, Record of the Lodoss War, Rejoice and Traverse Starlight & Prairie.  Plus PROPER and FULL translations of Dragon Quest 6, Romancing SaGa 3 and Dark Half since the ones we currently have available both suck AND are incomplete.  Plus some (not me) would (fairly) argue that there are plenty of Fire Emblem games that still need translations.

As well as the Aretha games and Princess Minerva not looking all that bad either (maybe not classics, but look above average at worst).

We are a very long way away from having all the Greats fully translated and playable. Actually.  And I realize all the hard work that goes into it sso we still have years and years of great games to play, just on the snes.  Not to mention all the uncovered gems for the genesis, psx, etc. etc.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 07:25:57 pm by travel27 »

Kay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 12:27:31 pm »
Is someone going to make sure all the terms, names etc are Greek instead of Roman? I do recall that the translation for 3 had some of the Gods names as their Roman counterparts instead of the Greek ones. Although I don't think that was entirely the fault of the translation, just something Data East screwed up on.
I think most (all?) of these should be fixed in the current patch version of GoH3. Greg was addressing this issue to me in a late phase of the translation and Bacchus should be changed to Dionysus and Venus to Aphrodite. The reason why I think they used Venus in the old games (it's Apurodite and Dionyusosu in the DS game) is because she really is commonly referred to in manga by her Roman name even if the context is Greek. Wordplay should be the reason, a typical female name, Minako, can be written with kanji that also read binasu which is how Venus is pronounced in Japanese. There is Sailor Venus of course (planets use Roman names) but also Akuma no Hanayome, which has Greek mythology. And it has a Minako who is the reincarnation of Venus.

Nojima probably wasn't aware that it wasn't her Greek name. No idea about Bacchus but it might be a similar reason, and Bacchus is also an alternative Greek name for Dionysus. When he came back to write Proof of Soul he used the correct names. But it still has Roman numerals for the mini games.

Also, there's the Mast Ball item, which is likely in the game. That item name is actually the result of a typo in the original game and is actually supposed to be 'Fire Pillar Ball' instead. I guess just an FYI, but excellent news nonetheless.

I fixed this, thanks! We will also release an updated patch for 3 with this and anything else we might find in 4 that is in both games.

And then the writers probably went on to write for Square (who will defend their Engrish names)... :P

Nojima went on to write for FF and KH at Square, yes. He works with Nomura mostly, also on Versus. What Engrish names is Square defensive about?

A lot of people didn't like its story as much as the one in GoH3 but personally I like both a lot. GoH4 is commended for its gameplay systems though, generally classic GoH enthusiasts laud 3's story and 4's system. In 4 over a hundred NPCs are playable and you can explore their local stories by taking over their body and talking to people they know. It's really cool and I discovered many more small episodes during translation which I missed when I first played it.

GoH4 with its school setting and love story is similar to FFVIII. For FFVII Kitase wanted Nojima to write a suspense mystery story like in GoH3 and FFVIII's love theme suggested by Sakaguchi probably lent itself well to make a reprise of GoH4. In both cases the next game wasn't met as enthusiastically as the one before.

I think the genius plot twists in GoH3 and FFVII are hard to match but 4 and VIII have more complex plots and characters.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 04:29:46 pm »
I don't think the people behind the GoH series are particular experts in Greek mythology. I believe each game has its share of mistakes and errors, made up crap etc.

Also, you don't need to use Fire Pillar Ball for the update. I'm actually using Fire Ball for a Heracles translation of my own.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 04:38:00 pm by Pennywise »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 10:25:41 pm »

Nojima went on to write for FF and KH at Square, yes. He works with Nomura mostly, also on Versus. What Engrish names is Square defensive about?
Why do they keep calling her Rydia (I thought I've heard at least a few suggest it should by Lydia), and did nobody mention Ceodore to them?
I thought someone (maybe Sky Render?) once suggested Mash in FF6 should be Matthew.
Kana マッシュ. Don't they typically use シ to end kana-ized "sh"-ending words? (as in, "mash" should be マーシ?) (then again, the GBA script did use Woolsey's names. Wherever he came up with "Sabin", it stuck.)

Zetshiro

• Rainbow!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 10:40:44 pm »
Really looking forward to this, and I really like the soundtrack. You've been working on this so long, so those menu's must be a serious pain.

Also, those two screens almost look like two different games, one's so softly shaded and the other looks...well, not.

Not true.  At all.  Not even close.  Still waiting on Far East of Eden Zero, Chaos Seed, Ys 5, Lady Stalker, Record of the Lodoss War, Rejoice and Traverse Starlight & Prairie.

Haha, I'd personally love to play Metal Max 2, G-O-D, GD Leen, Last Bible III and the Aretha games. That's just considering the Super Famicom...

The PC Engine is a whole other beast. I'm guessing it's really difficult to hack the games for it, though? Either that or the interest isn't really there.

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 12:54:09 am »
Yeah & also don't forget about Down The World Mervlin's Ambition, Wonderous Magic (I believe it was called) & Gokinjo Bokentai which feels alot resembled as Mother 2/Earthbound ;)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 02:06:01 am »
The PC Engine is a whole other beast. I'm guessing it's really difficult to hack the games for it, though? Either that or the interest isn't really there.
One major problem is that (AFAIK) the best debugger we have is mednafen, which seems to have the needed components, but is not very easy to use. It's entirely driven by keyboard commands, and is limited to one window at a time (and as such probably also prevents controlling the game while the debugger is open, but I can't remember for sure). If there was one as nice as FCEUX, that might encourage more people to look at the PCE.
Though the fact a good number of games are on CD probably scares off a number of hackers as well.