News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How do I add levels in Super Mario Bros. NES?  (Read 3583 times)

Yoshistar95

• Hi :)
    • View Profile
How do I add levels in Super Mario Bros. NES?
« on: April 21, 2013, 03:27:33 pm »
So far that I've found that was useful is editing the level pointers, but how do I recognize one in Translhextion?
I want to hack SMB NES with more levels and maybe with A-D Worlds as in Lost Levels, but I'm not starting with it until my other hack is nearly or totally bug free (and mistakes).

And will SMB Utility still accept the ROM with the added levels to edit it?
My channel

Maker of Super Mario Bros. The New Super Adventure. (SMB 1 level hack)

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
Re: How do I add levels in Super Mario Bros. NES?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 10:25:05 pm »
The original SMB ROM has no free space left, so basically, no, you can't add levels. If you wanted more space to play with, you'd need to expand the ROM, and on the NES, this is a non trivial task. I think you should try things that are at your level of competency and gain some experience before trying to undertake such a project...

w7n

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 01:46:21 am »
Answers and some tricks:
The SMB ROM has no free space left, and I believe it's a very bad idea to sacrifice other space(e.g. music space) for the levels.
One of the most common ways to add levels is to change the mapper and expand the ROM. Expanded ROM would be rejected from the SMB Utility's ROM check. However, you can edit levels of a usual Mapper 0 ROM using SMB Utility, and then use SMB Map Importer to import the level data into the expanded ROM.
ROM expansion is about assembly and bankswitching. Mappers that have the simplest bankswitching methods are the VRCx mappers I believe. (Don't use MMC1.)
Although there are about 200 mappers, you don't need to memorize or even recognize all of them. Just select a mapper, find out how that mapper handles bankswitching, and then it's coding time.
Mappers which generate scanline IRQs are: MMC3+, VRC3+, N106 etc; Superior mappers are VRC6+, N163, SN5B(Enhanced music), MMC5(Notable for easier 'multiplication' and enhanced music)

Crap stuff below: Well, personal opinion is quality over quantity. It's not that a huge course is bad; Extra Mario Bros has many long levels. But EMB has not only long and well-designed levels but also amazing graphics and effects. There are a great number of SMB hacks today, and level hacks are no longer fascinating unless the levels are real cool and creative. What is more important is that what you find creative might already be old-fashioned.
Gain experience while hacking, and then you have good hacks.
Want to learn how to expand the ROM? Go ahead, learn assembly. We need people who can handle 2A03 ASM. Soon enough you will find that using assembly, there are a lot more things to do other than expanding levels. In my community there are people who continually think of ideas like 'what if I can make reverse pipes...' and they can't. And that's a pity.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 09:14:56 am »
Did EMB actually do all of its stuff without expanding the ROM at all?  :o
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

w7n

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 10:34:54 am »
Did EMB actually do all of its stuff without expanding the ROM at all?  :o
EMB is an 80K ROM. Such fact is still amazing though. There are many SMB expanded ROM hacks which waste a lot of space. Many simply put several ROMs into one single ROM.

Yoshistar95

• Hi :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 03:26:48 pm »
EMB is a great game, but now I have to return to the beginning to advance (got all keys and powers if not mistaken).

I'll see what I can do with my current experience, I just got used to a behavior changing utility.
Sad thing is that the Remodeler is not fully English, a lot of things aren't translated and a lot are marked as unknown. I'm able to slow down the countdown :) or speed up.
My channel

Maker of Super Mario Bros. The New Super Adventure. (SMB 1 level hack)