News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: What kind of turn based rpg challenges do you like?  (Read 3474 times)

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
What kind of turn based rpg challenges do you like?
« on: April 21, 2013, 02:45:23 pm »
What I'm talking about is what kind of battles do you like in an rpg? For battles, I like it when you have to take out one enemy to make it the rest easy for you. For boss fights, I like it when they have some spell thats prett powerful. For example, in final fantasy tactics, velius had Cyclops as a summon, and you needed some strategy to get around it.

To be honest, thats all I can think of. Tell me what types of boss fights and battles you like.

Yoshistar95

• Hi :)
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of turn based rpg challenges do you like?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 03:38:48 pm »
For boss battles I like the ones which have some kind shield in which you must destroy in order to deal damage against the boss.
The final boss in Mario & Luigi: Bowser's inside story was my favorite because it was the most challenging one and yet pretty fun to do :)

In normal ones I like to deal as much damage as possible to defeat the enemy quickly, very fun to do when you're at high level.
My channel

Maker of Super Mario Bros. The New Super Adventure. (SMB 1 level hack)

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 03:48:05 pm »
For boss battles I like the ones which have some kind shield in which you must destroy in order to deal damage against the boss.

Those are pretty fun too! They had some epic fights like that in FFXIII. Would be nice if there was a game that every boss was like that.

Zetshiro

• Rainbow!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 05:22:48 pm »
I always like unique bosses that end up doing something new you've yet to see in the game.

Sol Moonarge is a pretty classic RPG that has its boss actually attack your little avatars in the status bar, which is a cool little touch.

I also really like how the Lennus II final boss emulates your TV being full of static. The Earthbound/Mother 3 is also a game which their final boss battles are completely different from what you expect.

Apart from that, I love bosses with multiple parts to attack which have their own attack. Ar Tonelico/Final Fantasy V&VI/Lennus II all come to mind.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 05:33:05 pm »
I enjoy battles that encourage strategy - stuff that's basically winnable, but dominatable if you  give it a little thought. As such, press turns and Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 06:05:38 pm »
Endurance battles. A boss that is unbeatable by normal means, but will eventually retreat after either a certain time or by chance with very low odds.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 06:29:29 pm by Jeville »

Drag0nwind

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 07:12:13 pm »
I guess it wouldn't really be turn based, but I really like when there's an 'Active' option in RPGs for battles. It's so cheap when you can take as long as you want to select your next move.. the enemy should be allowed to pound you down while you are deciding. Although, I really liked the turn based battles of Dragon Warrior.

I think I remember that boss in Tactics. I had a single legit playthrough and it was pretty fun. I remember getting stuck on that boss for a quite a while, since he uses clops right off the bat. Learned later on that you can buff up ramza in the preceeding  solo fight and those buffs carry over to that next battle, which makes it pretty easy.. haha.

:D

Real_Character

• Restricted Access
  • A 16-bit character in a 2-bit world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 07:29:21 pm »
Special moves and/or button timings. Super Mario RPG and Mario & Luigi for GBA had that sort of battle.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 08:44:09 pm »
A boss that requires you to use tactics, and make use of just about everything in your arsenal to defeat normally. I also enjoy bosses that have counters for all the game breakers that you've probably acquired up to this point, but I don't enjoy that counter being a 9999 Megidolaon to the face  :P
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 09:41:46 pm »
I think the last "interesting" battle I have seen was the one at the end of the Lost Sanctuary in Chrono Trigger DS (said battle probably being the sole redeeming feature of that blather), where you have to fight two enemies and take them down at almost the same time, or else one will resurrect the other.  That was vaguely clever.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Merta

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 04:34:00 pm »
Timed attacks like what Real Character has said, elemental battles which encourage the player to use their weakness, it's not a challenge but I really like battles with dialogue, or where a special flag gets tripped if you do something like Terra casting fire in two different battles in FFVI. It can be more about aesthetics for me.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 06:14:56 pm »
Turns out I do not especially like turn based combat, about the only instance I truly care for it is probably Might and Magic where you can turn it on at will, effectively turn the game into easy mode (ish) and do whatever needs doing.

For the more real time stuff now that I think about it probably area changes (defence, attack, weapon viability enemy type changes/perks for ground area....). That said it is there because it is the main unifying idea from my big three most liked games this go around (Resonance of Fate, Eternal Sonata and MagnaCarta 2). On the flip side I can not stand monster hunter (tried several times, can't do it) so I am not sure what goes there. Equally the "forced" dungeons of final fantasy games have not always been my favourite; the no metal weapons sections I detested, the best if you do not have magic users (which I promptly did go with) vary in my estimation from month to month, many of the actual forced character sections.
Thinking further those are probably some of the few games I really enjoy the combat rather than stories, world/dungeon exploration, crafting and fiddling with equipment with the TBC being a/the chore. Others probably sit as the megaman battle network series, the summon night swordcraft story games and for the sole concession Skies of arcadia but only because it had one of the best implementations of what I am about to cover.

If I must do turn based then move combos (button pressing challenges.... vary) and forethought/enemy prediction being tested. Probably why I like Phantasy Star 4 more than final fantasy 1-6.

Elementals... if done right then maybe but most times it just seems to be a boring memory test, obvious, an extra step as I need perform the analyse spell or "do I have a faq to hand". I more enjoy the "douse them in fire oil and then...." or "they have armour you can disable/partially negate giving you an opening" approaches. That said buffs have never been a thing I like, pay attention to unless mandatory (even going as far as to grind to avoid it) and though I probably would have to say something about pokemon at this stage it probably joins monster hunter in "games with elements that are interesting but in practice fall short" but as I enjoyed several of the "clones" (robopon, demi kids, medabots) that is a different matter.

I think I shall end it for the time being by saying everything that would be turn based could probably be better done if it was puzzle quest.