News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: There's no way to get Europe's Master System games running at 60Hz, is there?  (Read 3213 times)

Slime

• View Profile
There's a number of Master System games that were only released in Europe that seem interesting and a lot of them were developed in North America/Japan, but never released there.

In development, were the games specifically developed at the 50Hz mode, or were they developed at the 60Hz mode and then changed to 50Hz when they were released in Europe (Like pretty much every other game at the time.)? I would think the latter... probably not, but if that's the case then shouldn't it be possible to reverse the games back to 60Hz? /wishful thinking

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
It wouldn't make sense to develop a game at 60hz if it was expected to only be released in 50hz.
Still the reason I can think why some late PAL-only SMS games might is because of the Game Gear. International release at 60hz, similar enough that they probably could reuse a lot of the game engine when building both SMS and GG versions.
(like I've heard a few games were even carefully developed for both the Game Boy and Game Gear to maximize code reuse as much as possible (such as only using instructions present on both Z80 variations, though since Nintendo changed the op-codes for some instructions, they probably had to separately compile both binaries)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Slime

• View Profile
"It wouldn't make sense to develop a game at 60hz if it was expected to only be released in 50hz."

I guess so.

"similar enough that they probably could reuse a lot of the game engine when building both SMS and GG versions."

Like Castle of Illusion? The GG version seems inferior, though, because the draw distance isn't as great. Only difference I can recall from the short time trying it. Maybe ironic, but I like Mickey's sprite more in those versions than the Genesis one, but I actually like the linearity of the Genesis version more.

It's just that the Master System games would be better if they were in 60Hz instead.

syntax error

• View Profile
The MasterSystem is similar to MSX.
That means you can apply MSX programming information.
The Game Gear has a larger pallete, stereo and the same resolution as the GameBoy.

chickenhen34

• View Profile
You could try setting the region to USA. Works just fine at the Game Gear's speed of Sonic Blast and Mortal Kombat 3, but runs too fast for the Lion King. I think it would be great to have a lot of hacks like this that run at the GG's speed, but are for the USA consoles. There's so many good SMS games that didn't get released in the USA, like the games I mentioned, and most Sonic games. Aladdin runs at the correct speed in Europe. GG ports of Alex Kidd games should be made, too.

April 27, 2013, 01:58:52 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
The MasterSystem is similar to MSX.
That means you can apply MSX programming information.
The Game Gear has a larger pallete, stereo and the same resolution as the GameBoy.

The Game Boy has stereo sound, too. It is used in more games than the Game Gear. Super Mario Land uses it, for instance. The resolution on the Game Gear may be bigger.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Both Game Boy and Game Gear have a visible screen resolution of 160x144 (in SMS mode, the SMS resolution 256x192 (maybe 224?) is scaled down to 160x144).
Game Boy can store 256x256 in its VRAM, but I don't know what size GG stores internally.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
Brazil uses 60hz also. Good chance most PAL games with releases there, should be playable on the USA console or a GG.