News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: New level hack of Super Mario Bros. NES  (Read 2256 times)

Yoshistar95

• Hi :)
    • View Profile
New level hack of Super Mario Bros. NES
« on: April 16, 2013, 01:46:15 pm »
I've been working for a long time to make this level and I've finally completed this one :)

It's called: Super Mario Bros. The New Super Adventure. The game is very hard to beat, it's very challenging too and frustration will be in there too.

Here's a video from me testing the first levels: Test ROM hack (it's pretty old)
Also got my first part of the walkthrough done: Part 1

I'm gonna submit my hack soon on this site, so I hope that it will be a hit here too. Already 2 likes with my walkthrough (which is a start...)

Edit:

Dropbox: .ips from Dropbox
4Shared: .ips from 4shared

Enjoy :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 05:18:12 am by Yoshistar95 »
My channel

Maker of Super Mario Bros. The New Super Adventure. (SMB 1 level hack)

Jeville

• View Profile
Re: New level hack of Super Mario Bros. NES
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 02:31:36 pm »
I would remove the link to the old video so people won't have to watch essentially the same thing twice.

Here's some criticism if you'd like some:

1. There are graphical glitches for some of your cloud placements. You may not mind cosmetic issues, but some do.

2. I think an exit pipe should be added in 1-1, instead of looking like Mario spawning out of the ground.

3. I'm not a fan of requiring to clip through objects. If the Lost Levels can do without that, you can do it.

4. The spinning fire in 1-3 is set too high that causes it to spill in the bottom screen.

5. World 1 castle feels sparse.

6. You have a pipe added at the end of World 2-1 as if 2-2 is going to be underground/underwater level but it isn't. Same deal with 2-2 and 2-3, showing the pipe suddenly being replaced by blocks.

7. You don't need momentum from the previous platform in order to run on a single block.

8. I'm not sure about this, but I think it's possible to go over the flagpole in 2-3.

9. There are a couple ways possible to be on top of the screen for the majority of World 2 castle.

10. For a hard hack, even if it's just the first two worlds, they look like levels I can just blaze through. Have you played the Lost Levels for any inspiration?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 02:39:44 pm by Jeville »

Yoshistar95

• Hi :)
    • View Profile
Re: New level hack of Super Mario Bros. NES
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 03:15:37 pm »
It is meant to be easy in the first two worlds actually. But world 3 is way harder, I had to retry 3-3 30 times in order to complete the level without save stating once. 3-4 is more challenging.

But the graphical problem with the cloud was noticed a bit late, but I'm also gonna release v1.1 later for the bug fixes and improvements.

I had it first at Zophar, but it's removed for some reason. 4shared is now the only source of download, but when I also have it here, then it's reachable for everyone since 4shared requires an account for downloading stuff and Romhacking not (as far I've experienced some months ago for the last time).

In 2-4, with that escape route, I've made a loop command in it to prevent to be useful, but you can't leave the loop. I'm trying to make it so that you can leave the loop, but that will take some time since the game won't let me leave the loop in a good way (ceiling won't go away).

The pipe will be added later in 1-1, my bad for the missing source. Also forgot to place the warp a page later, before the added page for titlescreen it was placed so that reusing the pipe wasn't possible.

1-4 is indeed boring, but for some reason I didn't had inspiration for the loop section.

The pipe at the end of 2-1 was meant to be an art, but I think I had some mistakes with exit levels... some shouldn't have a pipe there.

But thanks for the criticism :) it is meant to motivate me to improve the game, except if it's spam, flaming and totally useless, etc...

Known bugs:
Jnes 1.1 may crash out of nowhere, a member from Jabosoft reported it and I've never experienced a game freeze (or emu crash) with that emu, and yes I use also Jnes 1.1. Nestopia have no problems so far.
I have some graphical problems with some kinds of items and stuff:
Mushroom islands are missing a stump, you only see the platform part...
The invisible 1-up block shows a part of the tree stump, I don't know what causes it actually.

Need help with that problem!

April 19, 2013, 02:41:50 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I think I'm gonna add an easier version of my hack, I've recently discovered some nice behavior changers with SMB1 Remodeler, so if the normal one is too hard, then the easy version should be not so hard.

Important changes:

-More lives in the beginning (50)
-Countdown of Time is slower (Thanks to the remodeler)
-No hard areas
-Almost no fire bars
-Every 75 coins is a 1-up
-Invisible blocks are visible by marks
-Chance of dying is much lower :)

But it won't come until the update, it needs improvements.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 02:48:34 pm by Yoshistar95 »
My channel

Maker of Super Mario Bros. The New Super Adventure. (SMB 1 level hack)