News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Error importing file in ISO PSX  (Read 2203 times)

ØX-Carnage

• Group Monkey's Translations
    • View Profile
    • Monkey's Traduções
Error importing file in ISO PSX
« on: April 11, 2013, 12:51:39 pm »
Friends have a small problem with an ISO of Psx.
The game in question is the Metal Gear Solid, after making the texts of the dump file RADIO.DAT, i do the translation and import back the file, but it's time to return the file to ISO, the CDmage informs me that the file is larger than the original and care will truncated the ISO.

Well after entering the game works, but when a sentence appears CODEC the game crashes.
How to import the RADIO without giving the error?

Another question, someone would have a tool to dumpar images of the game (TIM, DDS, TEX, etc ...)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 01:02:23 pm by ØX-Carnage »
<center></center>

ØX-Carnage

• Group Monkey's Translations
    • View Profile
    • Monkey's Traduções
Re: Error importing file in ISO PSX
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 01:04:28 pm »
Friends someone would have a solution to the problem.
It would be possible to import this file back into the ISO?
<center></center>

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: Error importing file in ISO PSX
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 02:06:40 pm »
The problem is that the ISO itself is a file structure, and all of the files within it are packed right up against each other (with up to 2K in buffer to account for sector sizes and start addresses.) Since your new radio.dat is larger than the old one, there's literally no room in the ISO for it where it currently is. Think about it like taking a book off of a tightly-packed bookshelf, adding 100 pages to it, then trying to squeeze it back into the space it used to occupy. Doesn't work!

As such, you're either going to have to completely rebuild the ISO from the ground up or you're going to need to recalculate the LBAs of the files that are currently in the ISO when inserting the new one. There are several utilities that seem to do this, but I can't personally vouch for any of them as I've not tried them. As a note, some games are wired to access their data directly from sector numbers, and moving things around will cause that to break, so be careful, test early and often, and always keep backups.