News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Just what is the deal with "full extent of the jam" ?  (Read 7387 times)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Just what is the deal with "full extent of the jam" ?
« on: April 04, 2013, 10:27:53 pm »
I feel like I might have asked this before.  I can't recall.

"The full extent of the jam", as you may know, is a famous phrase from the copyright screen of numerous Cave shooters and other PGM games.  Does anyone know exactly how the translation got so mangled?  Is there some Taiwanese character for "law" that just happens to look like "jam" if you leave out a certain stroke?  Or is there no better explanation than that someone wrote down the word "law" in really terrible handwriting, and someone else transcribed it badly?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
Re: Just what is the deal with "full extent of the jam" ?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 01:27:21 am »
I think usually these things happen because they are copying by eye, then just get sort of confused by the shape and stop when they find one that looks “close enough” because they don’t know the language and can’t be arsed to look it up. L looks like J and W looks like M if you aren’t looking very carefully.

Famous example with chopstick wrappers; maybe you’ve seen these in a restaurant?

But maybe whoever was doing it was having a bad day and screwing around or something, and if there was someone who was supposed to check, they couldn’t tell the difference. Probably no way to tell for sure.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
Re: Just what is the deal with "full extent of the jam" ?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 10:32:00 am »
I don't really have anything meaningful to contribute here other that I would personally love to see a courtroom scene where a lawyer says "I will prosecute you to the full extent of the jam".

Also, I think I just thought of my new band name.  :D
Sign THIS!