News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Dr. Luigi  (Read 30666 times)

Jeville

• View Profile
Re: Dr. Luigi
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2013, 05:47:45 pm »
What do you think of incorporating in Mr. L for some game where he's a villain? Wario's Woods is one such game that he can be displayed best.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2013, 10:19:09 pm »
Or you could take your Dr. Mario knowledge and try a Peach or Toad.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2013, 06:46:53 pm »
I think a whole series of Luigi hacks would be great. I don't think they've done anything for Mario 1/2j/2u.

SMB2u would probably be a lot of fun to make. Roster could be Luigi, Blue Toad, Yellow Toad, and Nabit. Bonus version could swap the two Toads for Original Toad and Toadette. With some ASM work Nabit could even have his attributes from New Super Luigi U.

For the Super Luigi Bros. 3 hack I'd do an addendum patch that changes the title to Super Luigi 3 and insert new question block graphics.

Oh!! And you know what would be great? Super Luigi Land! It always bugged me that it was Mario that saves Daisy in that game.

Shugo

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2013, 11:34:56 pm »
Man, you guys have blown my surprise idea open before I had a chance to announce it! Yes, I was actually already planning on doing an entire Year of Luigi NES series, hence why I was gonna put that on the Dr. Luigi title screen. It was something I was going to insert into all the title screens (when possible). I didn't wanna bring it up until I finished Dr. Luigi and at least got some of the other hacks off the ground so I'd have something to show off instead of just spouting ideas.

I guess I could show off one that I've already started, though. I was kinda bummed that someone already beat me to the punch with Luigi Bros., so I took it to the next level:

かえってきたルイージブラザーズ! I'd like to translate this alongside turning it into a Luigi game, which would actually be the first translation that this game has even had, to my knowledge. Not like it really needs a translation since most of the text is related to a contest that ended 24 years ago, but at least now you can enter your in-game name in English! I'm always sad when Nintendo doesn't rerelease this or the Classic Series version instead of the old and tired original NES version (or hell, even the actual arcade version; would be nice if Nintendo stopped recycling the gimped NES ports of these games and gave us the proper Donkey Kong and Mario Bros., among others).

I think a whole series of Luigi hacks would be great. I don't think they've done anything for Mario 1/2j/2u.

SMB2u would probably be a lot of fun to make. Roster could be Luigi, Blue Toad, Yellow Toad, and Nabit. Bonus version could swap the two Toads for Original Toad and Toadette. With some ASM work Nabit could even have his attributes from New Super Luigi U.

Woooah there, changing actual gameplay mechanics is way out of my skillset, haha. I'm only currently capable of doing moderate graphics editing. It's a neat idea, but someone else would have to take that on. Not sure if those would be the greatest character choices, though; two toads would be redundant since it's a single-player game (unless you give them different stats) and Nabbit is basically just an invincible Luigi. (If you didn't know, in New Super Luigi U he is invincible and his jump/speed stats are a copy of Luigi's.) I'd say probably the only character change that makes sense is Peach into Daisy. Maybe also remove Mario and replace him with a differently-colored Toad or something with Mario's stats, lol.

For the Super Luigi Bros. 3 hack I'd do an addendum patch that changes the title to Super Luigi 3 and insert new question block graphics.

I kinda like "Super Luigi Bros." because it follows Nintendo's "Luigi Bros." Nintendo probably only did that so that the game wouldn't simply be called "Luigi" but I like to think they did it because there are two Luigis in the game. If I did a Luigi-ized SMB3 I'd probably call it Super Luigi Bros. 3 and give player 2 the SMB1 palette like Luigi Bros. does. Not sure if I should really bother though since someone's already done this idea. Maybe I'll do it anyway and just not submit it. Of course I'd release it here if people really wanted it, but not as an RHDN submission.

Oh!! And you know what would be great? Super Luigi Land! It always bugged me that it was Mario that saves Daisy in that game.

Dammit, you're spoiling more of my ideas! Yes, I was actually gonna do this; I've been tinkering with Game Boy graphics editing a bit. It'd be an extremely simple hack (there's literally nothing to change except the title screen and Mario's name) but as part of a series it'd be fun. Was considering using the colorized hack as the base so I could at least make him green. And then I'd have an excuse to call it Super Luigi Land DX. :P
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 12:02:37 am by Shugo »

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2013, 08:10:16 am »
かえってきたルイージブラザーズ wasn't rereleased because it was merely a commercial for Super Mario Bros. Furikake

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2014, 01:33:36 am »
Woooah there, changing actual gameplay mechanics is way out of my skillset, haha. I'm only currently capable of doing moderate graphics editing. It's a neat idea, but someone else would have to take that on. Not sure if those would be the greatest character choices, though; two toads would be redundant since it's a single-player game (unless you give them different stats) and Nabbit is basically just an invincible Luigi. (If you didn't know, in New Super Luigi U he is invincible and his jump/speed stats are a copy of Luigi's.) I'd say probably the only character change that makes sense is Peach into Daisy. Maybe also remove Mario and replace him with a differently-colored Toad or something with Mario's stats, lol.

I'm up to the challenge. I know basic ASM and I've done a few things here and there. ;)

Dammit, you're spoiling more of my ideas! Yes, I was actually gonna do this; I've been tinkering with Game Boy graphics editing a bit. It'd be an extremely simple hack (there's literally nothing to change except the title screen and Mario's name) but as part of a series it'd be fun. Was considering using the colorized hack as the base so I could at least make him green. And then I'd have an excuse to call it Super Luigi Land DX. :P

Great minds think alike! That was also my first thought. :P

Shugo

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2014, 02:57:25 am »
Happy 2014! I've been playing the real Dr. Luigi on Wii U on and off through the day and it's pretty great. No surprises; it's pretty much just like they said it would be. Operation L is wonderfully fast-paced in multiplayer but pretty easy in single player. I'm currently #2 on the Operation L leaderboard! :D

Also sorry to break it to you again Vanya, but the Year of Luigi logo shows up all over the game and even flashes before the title screen, haha.

かえってきたルイージブラザーズ wasn't rereleased because it was merely a commercial for Super Mario Bros. Furikake

Yeah, I know. I meant more like the gameplay itself so I probably should've just said Classic Series. :P I'm also gonna do Classic Series as well, but I'm doing Return too because I play on real hardware and I'm NTSC (and doing a translation will be fun). I wish Classic Series had an NTSC hack...

I'm up to the challenge. I know basic ASM and I've done a few things here and there.

Awesome. Good luck to you! Keep me updated on how it goes; I'm legit excited to play even my own Luigi hacks, so I'm definitely excited for yours :D

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2014, 04:53:35 am »
If you're in for suggestions, I would say check the list of games featuring Mario for the NES:

Spoiler:
Donkey Kong Jr.   1985   
Mario Bros.   1983   
Pinball   1984   
F-1 Race   1984   
Tennis   1985   
Baseball   1985   
Super Mario Bros.   1985   
Wrecking Crew    1985   
Golf   1985   
Punch-Out!!   1987   
Super Mario Bros. 2   1988   
Super Mario Bros. 3   1988   
Tetris   1989   
Dr. Mario   1990   
NES Open Tournament Golf   1991   
Yoshi   1991   
Yoshi's Cookie   1992   
Mario is Missing!   1993   
Mario's Time Machine   1994   

I'd start by developing a small Luigi sprite first (since it could be used for the largest number of games) and working my way from simplest to more complex. Clippit's Luigi Bros looks good, but I don't know if he edited the sprite at all or just did palette swaps. If you're so inclined, putting a tie on Donkey Kong and possibly even replacing DK jr with Diddy Kong could help to modernize it as well.

Just thoughts.

Shugo

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2014, 05:39:56 am »
If you're in for suggestions, I would say check the list of games featuring Mario for the NES:

Spoiler:
Donkey Kong Jr.   1985   
Mario Bros.   1983   
Pinball   1984   
F-1 Race   1984   
Tennis   1985   
Baseball   1985   
Super Mario Bros.   1985   
Wrecking Crew    1985   
Golf   1985   
Punch-Out!!   1987   
Super Mario Bros. 2   1988   
Super Mario Bros. 3   1988   
Tetris   1989   
Dr. Mario   1990   
NES Open Tournament Golf   1991   
Yoshi   1991   
Yoshi's Cookie   1992   
Mario is Missing!   1993   
Mario's Time Machine   1994   

I'd start by developing a small Luigi sprite first (since it could be used for the largest number of games) and working my way from simplest to more complex. Clippit's Luigi Bros looks good, but I don't know if he edited the sprite at all or just did palette swaps. If you're so inclined, putting a tie on Donkey Kong and possibly even replacing DK jr with Diddy Kong could help to modernize it as well.

Just thoughts.

Clippit's Luigi Bros. is a direct copy of Nintendo's Luigi Bros. as included in Super Mario 3D World. The only changes are the title screen, palette-swapping Mario to green/blue Luigi, and Luigi to white/green Luigi (so it's Luigi and Luigi). You can see Nintendo's in action here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds0X4QkfeC4

That's kind of the style I want to go for, too. Nothing super fancy and upgraded, but subtly removing Mario and inserting Luigi in his place. I'm not really the artistic type, so honestly I'd rather leave things like that to those inclined. I just wanna make a simple set of hacks that put Luigi in the spotlight, like Nintendo's taken to doing. (They've done another instance of this in NES Remix, where some Donkey Kong stages are played as Mario palette-swapped into Luigi.)

That isn't to say that every hack is just going to be a palette swap; some of the later games had more fancy graphics and smaller things that could be changed for fun. Dr. Luigi is a good example; I couldn't just palette-swap Mario since he's just wearing white in the first place. I had to redraw him as the taller, slimmer Luigi. It's still Dr. Mario as you mostly remember it, but with the other brother at the helm with his new viruses. Dr. Mario also had these really unique but weird intermission cutscenes that I'm currently modifying into fun little different things. That's the part that's holding up the release; I've gotta decide what to put there but I also wanna keep it a secret so people are pleasantly surprised when they beat the required stages. :)

But yes, I actually have made a list of all the Luigi-ization candidates I'd like to do if I can find the time. Guess I'll post it now:

Spoiler:
-NES-
Donkey Kong            Donkey Kong Featuring Luigi
Donkey Kong Jr.            Donkey Kong Jr. Featuring Luigi
Mario Bros.            Luigi Bros.
Mario Bros. (Classic Series)      Luigi Bros. (Classic Series)
Super Mario Bros.         Super Luigi Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3         Super Luigi Bros. 3
Dr. Mario            Dr. Luigi
Wrecking Crew            Luigi's Wrecking Crew
Yoshi               Luigi & Yoshi
Yoshi's Cookie            Yoshi's Cookie Featuring Luigi

Maybe:
NES Open Tournament Golf      Luigi's Open Tournament Golf
Super Mario Bros. 2         Super Luigi Bros. 2

-FDS-
Return of Mario Bros.         Return of Luigi Bros.

Maybe:
All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros.   All Night Nippon Super Luigi Bros.
Golf: Japan Course         Luigi's Golf: Japan Course
Golf: US Course            Luigi's Golf: US Course
Super Mario Bros. 2         Super Luigi Bros. 2

The names on the left are the originals while the names on the right are the Luigi versions. Anything filed under "maybe" is something that's either really obscure, kinda already features Luigi as a playable single-player character, or would take too much work to bother with. This is just for fun, after all.

EDIT: (Feels like I make my posts here really long-winded. I apologize for that. Hope it isn't a drag to read.)

Looked through your work, by the way. You are lightyears ahead of anything I'm capable of, artistically. I can see why you keep coming up with all these extra ideas! I don't mean to just outright shoot them down, I just wanna keep on-track with the simplicity I originally had in mind so I don't spend ages redesigning every little thing.

I also noticed you have a Personal Projects thread for your stuff. Maybe after I get some mockups of the other games, should I make a new thread there for "Year of Luigi Series" discussion? I'd think that would attract more discussion from newcomers rather than my current OP with dusty old pictures of an outdated version of Dr. Luigi.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 05:53:28 am by Shugo »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2014, 07:35:19 am »
Also sorry to break it to you again Vanya, but the Year of Luigi logo shows up all over the game and even flashes before the title screen, haha.

It's still pretty much the only one that does. :P

Awesome. Good luck to you! Keep me updated on how it goes; I'm legit excited to play even my own Luigi hacks, so I'm definitely excited for yours :D

I will do so! :D

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2014, 09:05:30 am »
Both Super Mario 2s have unique, playable Luigis.  You'd only really have to do title screen hacks for either game.
The edutainment titles used Luigi as an NPC, so you should have a partial sprite set for both.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2014, 03:16:57 pm »
Super Mario 2 USA with Yume Kojo sprites :P
I'd love to see what the SNES version would look like with those

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2014, 04:31:26 pm »
The funny thing is Dr. Luigi is now an real actual downloadable game on Wii U eShop now! :D

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2014, 09:10:20 pm »
Both Super Mario 2s have unique, playable Luigis.  You'd only really have to do title screen hacks for either game.

Well actually, the point in these would be to replace Mario and swap Luigi into his spot which would take some minor ASM work besides any graphics. Think along the lines of the "New Super Luigi Bros. U" DLC.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2014, 12:49:13 am »
Super Mario 2 USA with Yume Kojo sprites :P
I'd love to see what the SNES version would look like with those

I think that would be a splendid hack

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2014, 09:16:02 am »
I could have sworn someone was already working on that.

Abramelin

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2014, 12:21:26 pm »
Good work, Shugo. Looking forward to playing your next projects.

Shugo

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2014, 06:51:53 am »
Alright, I think I've finally finished this. I made a "trailer" for it. Check it out: www.youtube.com/watch?v=2knU_8u9VFI

It turns out that I can never really center the logo exactly due to tile attributes, so I guess it'll just have to be that way. It's "centered" if you count the 'TM', at least. :P

I've also given up on giving it new ending animations. I had several done, but I didn't think they were creative and it was taking too long to do. I did change one of them, though; it's nothing major but you'll see it if you beat HI speed on level 20. :)

Now I just have to make the other title screen versions, create patches, and submit! Thanks a ton for all the input! I learned a lot!

I might make a new thread in Personal Projects for the full Year of Luigi series I'd like to do. I'll probably do that after I create mockups of all the new title screens. For now, though, I sleep.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2014, 07:07:06 am »
I think for the additional titles, maybe something more like "Luigi in DONKEY KONG" instead of "DONKEY KONG featuring Luigi".
If you do opt for the latter, perhaps an ft. for featuring could help.

I would also suggest doing Donkey Kong Jr. next, if only for the fact that changes would be very minimal for a final project.

Shugo

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2014, 07:18:40 am »
I think for the additional titles, maybe something more like "Luigi in DONKEY KONG" instead of "DONKEY KONG featuring Luigi".
If you do opt for the latter, perhaps an ft. for featuring could help.

I would also suggest doing Donkey Kong Jr. next, if only for the fact that changes would be very minimal for a final project.

"Luigi in" is a good idea! Why didn't I think of that? This is why I have you guys. :P

But yeah, I'll probably get the simpler hacks out of the way soon so I can get the 'series' chugging along. Dr. Luigi didn't even need this much time and effort, but I'm glad I worked on it this much because now I know a lot more about NES graphics hacking than I did back when I made the simpler version of this in February. I experimented with so many things along the way that I ultimately didn't use in Dr. Luigi itself, but at least I now have the knowledge and future projects should be much easier.