News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Dr. Luigi  (Read 31013 times)

Shugo

• View Profile
Re: Dr. Luigi
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2013, 05:18:05 am »
Okay, I finally got palette and attribute editing down. I'd like to change the logo to look more like Nintendo's new one, colorscheme included. I redid the lettering so I have that down, but now I need to pick colors. What do you think?

Here's what it looks like with default palette:

Here's a preliminary swap to Nintendo's new one:

Do you think this looks good? Should I change the background?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 06:42:40 am by Shugo »

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2013, 10:57:28 am »
Yes, maybe change the background color.

This one to pay homage to the original colors?

Other mockups.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2013, 05:31:04 pm »
Here's my best suggestion:

EDIT:

Because I'm aparrently incapable of making a quick edit and leaving it at that...

EDIT2:

Grrr...

...I really wish the NES had another lighter shade of grey instead of white and nearly white.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 05:47:54 pm by Vanya »

Chippy2000

• I'm the CREATOR Pokemon Gold Beta/Alpha Revival!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2013, 02:13:53 pm »
IS THIS A DE-MAKE OF NINTENDO'S WIP DR.LUIGI GAME I HEAR?! WOOOO!

FINALLY SOMEONE MAKES THIS! I was thinking of this myself, but I'm only good at RPGs... Pokemon in particular  :banghead:

Want my help at all? I am the Boss of the Chippy Cooperation, after all  :laugh: (Recently founded a ROM Hacking Business sorta thing) and I have nothing to develop right now. Send me a download link to the Dev Tools with the ROM (Dropbox in a ZIP file preferably) and I'll be off!
COO of The Chippy Cooperation (TCC)

I'm...just here...floating in space and stuff...

Shugo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2013, 04:27:07 pm »
IS THIS A DE-MAKE OF NINTENDO'S WIP DR.LUIGI GAME I HEAR?! WOOOO!

FINALLY SOMEONE MAKES THIS! I was thinking of this myself, but I'm only good at RPGs... Pokemon in particular  :banghead:

Want my help at all? I am the Boss of the Chippy Cooperation, after all  :laugh: (Recently founded a ROM Hacking Business sorta thing) and I have nothing to develop right now. Send me a download link to the Dev Tools with the ROM (Dropbox in a ZIP file preferably) and I'll be off!

Well it's less of a demake of the new one and more just a graphics hack to insert the superior plumber doctor into the game. :P I had the idea way before Nintendo announced theirs (and I've been playing my personal version of the hack all this time too, haha). I'm kinda glad I didn't release it yet though because the new logo and the new viruses are going to be much prettier.

I really like this one! I never noticed the subtle lighter green in Nintendo's logo until you posted this.

EDIT:

Check these guys out!

The animations and palettes are based on the actual animations and colors of the new viruses in the Dr. Luigi trailers. What do you think?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 07:25:45 am by Shugo »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2013, 04:29:07 pm »
I really like this one! I never noticed the subtle lighter green in Nintendo's logo until you posted this.

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. :)

Check these guys out!

The animations and palettes are based on the actual animations and colors of the new viruses in the Dr. Luigi trailers. What do you think?

Sweet! That's just the sort of thing I imagined. Well done!

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2013, 05:00:34 pm »
Sweet job! I'll be looking forward to playin' this when it's done, I'm a Luigi fan so...  :D

Chippy2000

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2013, 05:24:04 pm »
Can't wait 'till this is released. So, can I help make updates 'n' stuff  :angel: ? I like developing ROM hacks (See my prev. post on this thing about me asking to help)

Shugo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2013, 12:35:00 am »
Can't wait 'till this is released. So, can I help make updates 'n' stuff  :angel: ? I like developing ROM hacks (See my prev. post on this thing about me asking to help)

There really isn't anything I need help with; I finally got everything down so I can finish inserting what I want. I had some problems disabling the anti-piracy (Dr. Mario has an anti-piracy checksum that crashes the game if you mess with the title screen graphics too much.) and figuring out attribute editing but I got it all down. (Thanks, M_tee!)

I'm going to consider this done once I finish the virus graphics and title screen, both of which are already halfway done so I don't need any help. I still need to make the virus 'hurt' animation (which is actually just one graphic that the game manipulates, lol) and the tiny viruses on the playing field. I'm also going to do a little something special with the title screen to give it some Year of Luigi love.  ;)

Chippy2000

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2013, 02:16:56 pm »
OK. Merry Christmas btw  :angel: .

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2013, 08:15:35 pm »
I will just point out that in the screen shots they showed of the new game they actually didn't change the tiny viruses to match the new designs. They still look like the old ones. Hopefully this is just an oversight and will be corrected before release, otherwise your patch will actually be superior to the new game in that respect.

I was thinking that another patch that might might be a worthy project in the future is to add in the mode from the new game where Luigi tosses only pairs of 'L' shaped pill packets instead of single pills. That mode looks like it could be tons of fun. Of course it'll probably take some considerable ASM voodoo to accomplish.

Shugo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2013, 08:46:51 pm »
I will just point out that in the screen shots they showed of the new game they actually didn't change the tiny viruses to match the new designs. They still look like the old ones. Hopefully this is just an oversight and will be corrected before release, otherwise your patch will actually be superior to the new game in that respect.

I was thinking that another patch that might might be a worthy project in the future is to add in the mode from the new game where Luigi tosses only pairs of 'L' shaped pill packets instead of single pills. That mode looks like it could be tons of fun. Of course it'll probably take some considerable ASM voodoo to accomplish.

Actually, there are some bits of footage where the play field viruses look like the new ones. Can't remember if it was only in the Nintendo Direct footage or not. It's either an option or just unfinished development.

And yeah, I'd love to put Operation L into the game but it's beyond my capability.

I've actually completed the damage/game over animations for the new viruses and I'm super happy with what I accomplished given a frustrating limitation with the damage frames. I'm not at my computer right now so I don't have pics at the moment. I just need to make the graphic of the pink virus holding up the 'X' sign for multiplayer and they're done! (Pending feedback from you guys, anyway.)

I also wanted to change the background palettes for low/med/high speeds but that's a no-go; it dynamically assigns the main color of those palettes rather than have a separate palette for each one that I can edit. The title screen'll get a new background though, since I can edit that and the new green logo looks bland against a green background.

EDIT:

I just finished my overhaul of the title screen and I couldn't be bothered to make new GIFs for the virus animations, so I uploaded a whole video to show off everything at once!

Check it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJuQ1JuOBuQ

How do you think this looks? I further modified the virus palettes and of course the title screen is heavily redone. The orange/white background palette is a result of me wanting proper colors on the little Luigi sprite in the "Year of Luigi" line since there just wasn't enough allowance in the BG palettes to slot in the orange color without also using it somewhere else. If that's too jarring, my other choice is the blue-on-blue that Vanya suggested and I can get rid of the Year of Luigi bit.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 07:29:47 am by Shugo »

M-Tee

• One pixel at a timeā€¦
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2013, 12:43:59 pm »
I think the orange and white look great, man, as well as those animations.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2013, 02:02:06 pm »
Just the opposite for me, I find the orange and white very jarring. Those palette constrains can be pain in the butt.
The size of the "Year of Luigi" text box is also making the middle of the screen look like it has vertical lines so I'd either make it smaller or scrap it all together.
Everything else looks great.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 02:19:28 pm by Vanya »

Shugo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2013, 07:12:46 pm »
Just the opposite for me, I find the orange and white very jarring. Those palette constrains can be pain in the butt.
The size of the "Year of Luigi" text box is also making the middle of the screen look like it has vertical lines so I'd either make it smaller or scrap it all together.
Everything else looks great.

Yeah, I had that same thought but I wanted to see how it looked to others. I did toy with making the box smaller but it just looked 'off' that way. I think I'll kill the Year of Luigi bit and go with the blue background you suggested. I was on the fence about it from the outset but I wanted to see what others thought of it before I simply scrapped it.

Do the green borders in-game look alright? I had the thought to do that after noticing the green clipboard in the Wii U game. I studied those trailers way too much. (And I keep listening to Dr. Mario music and remixes while working on the hack; I'm nearly overdosed at this point. :P)

I think the orange and white look great, man, as well as those animations.

Thanks! I think the background looks alright too, but what Vanya said about the Year of Luigi box is also true and if I scrap that (which is the entire reason for the background being those colors) I can go back to much more attractive background options (like light blue/blue).

EDIT:

Alright, I tweaked the title screen. I darkened the blues from Vanya's blue background suggestion and I think it looks really nice. I'm considering these two my candidates for final. Here's a comparison along with the original:

Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 11:52:04 pm by Shugo »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2013, 12:30:28 am »
I like the middle one, but that's no surprise.
The green clipboard looks great.

hossbags2

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2013, 11:32:10 am »
which ever is selected.....I like the Year of Luigi added...........possibly the right one with green background added since that is Luigis color

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2013, 06:02:46 pm »
I think the Year of Luigi one looks the best because of that text :p But the contrast between yellow and white seems too much... but also understandable, as that is probably how you're getting the luigi sprite colors to work (three colors and black). I think the blue has a much softer appearance, but kind of feels less special without the explicit tie-in to Year of Luigi shenanigans :p

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2013, 07:24:26 pm »
The blue is, if anything, too sedate and institutionalized.  Really digging the one on the right.

Guess you could say the blue one is too much like a "proper palette swap" of the original title screen, but the orange gives a more dynamic presentation.  It looks original, despite not really being original.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2013, 07:46:35 pm »
The problem with the right one is white. It might work better with a darker color replacing it. This would require the Luigi sprite being removed or maybe making look like a gold Luigi.

Regardless of this, I think the year of Luigi text makes the screen far too cluttered the way it is.
I would also point out that none of the year of Luigi products explicitly say year of Luigi in game anywhere. Plus Dr. Luigi itself is already associated with it without the text telling you so.