News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Resources for dumped game scripts?  (Read 1113 times)

Gary_Oak

• View Profile
Resources for dumped game scripts?
« on: April 01, 2013, 11:10:39 pm »
I wanna give a shot at translating english games into Portuguese (Iberic/European), but i'd like to start with simple games before working on any RPGs. That said, are there any good sites where I can get dumped scripts?

On a side note, is there also any place here where I can submit these scripts? I have no hacking experience, but i'd like make them freely available to whoever wishes make them work within the games I translate.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
Re: Resources for dumped game scripts?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 12:22:17 am »
You make the script and I'll do it.

Gary_Oak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 06:29:50 am »
You make the script and I'll do it.

I still need know where I can find some dumped scripts though. I found one for Xenosaga I but, needless to say, that's too much of an endeavor for me right now.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 06:48:13 am »
Gonna have to search hard. I like to do it word by word in the hex editor. Guess i am a masochist like that.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 07:56:13 am »
Scripts are technically copyrighted works so sharing them with all and sundry is not always the done thing. Similarly the "simple" games can be simple but for traditionally low on text things like puzzle games you can just as easily find yourself with a complex file format and most text in it being in the form of pictures rather than encoded text.

To go further scripts can often include an awful lot to make the programmer's life easier (commands to make text bold, italic, coloured......) as well as other programming oriented things. http://www.loekalization.com/mistakes.html makes nice reading at this point.

A good hacker can work around such things and present you with text capable of being translated though I will say if you can deal with some markup type arrangements it does help.

Normally I would point you towards some of the hackers that deal with the language you expressed an interest in but I am afraid I do not know any, Brazilian sure and going back there were a few (though without checking I probably should make a disclaimer and say they might be Brazilian too) but right now I do not know of any.

Still I should say gamefaqs seems to have a few for various games, for reasons mentioned above they are not so useful for hackers though.