News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Games that are based on crewing a ship  (Read 4543 times)

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
Games that are based on crewing a ship
« on: March 16, 2013, 07:48:30 am »
Are there any games where multiple people take control of different stations on a ship/plane out there? I really like the idea of team work and everyone working together.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
Re: Games that are based on crewing a ship
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 08:17:36 am »
Are there any games where multiple people take control of different stations on a ship/plane out there? I really like the idea of team work and everyone working together.

It's only a portion of the games, but in Wild Arms 3 you set your crew to positions on the sand ship, and in Skies of Arcadia you recruit crew members to various positions. If you're looking for whole games, I'd check things like simulation games. I'm sure there's a slew of ship, and submarine based games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_simulator
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 08:31:19 am »
I meant multiplayer, you know each person taking a position, maybe breaking off to repair etc.

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 08:36:55 am »
I dunno about ocean ships but isn't there one that came out for tablets recently that's indie and based around crewing spaceships or something

Turambar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 08:46:10 am »

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 08:55:27 am »
FTL is actually what got me interested in a multiplayer version.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 09:07:06 am »
I meant multiplayer, you know each person taking a position, maybe breaking off to repair etc.
I misunderstood sorry, I had no clue what you were talking about apparently.

Google gave me this http://www.spocean.net/

"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 09:34:25 am »
http://gunsoficarus.com/faq/ ?

I find the gameplay style very intriguing but it is very often boring as hell.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 11:21:35 am »
I was going to suggest one of the Battlecruiser games, but I don't think any of those are multiplayer.

Maybe Puzzle Pirates counts?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 11:37:19 am »
Silent Hunter allows you to crew a submarine with several people. Most intense stuff you'll ever play. Requires some learning though - it's no fun with all automatic aids. You'll want to make fire solutions manually, estimate distance to target and identifcation by silhuette, listen for contacts via audio etc), so it's proabably not suitable for a group of casuals. But it's well worth the work. There are 4 games in the series, I know at least one allows it but I don't remember which. You'll have to figure that part out yourself.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 12:42:10 pm »
Silent Hunter 4 (2007) has multiplayer, and I assume the newer one does too, but I don't know anything about that particular game in the series. They're listed in my original post, when I didn't understand what was being asked for =p

zstandig

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 03:50:23 pm »
It's not really what you're lookin for but I remember reading about this old computer game for either the spectrum or some other contemporary in which you controlled a single robot that had to maintain a ship.

Kyrael Seraphine

• Iiiiiii want your sooouuuulllllll...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 06:58:04 pm »
http://www.artemis.eochu.com/

About as hardcore as you can get with that idea in mind.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 01:30:22 am »
Thanks for not being mad at me for being unclear with my first post and for the great advice.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 02:25:35 am »
Thanks for not being mad at me for being unclear with my first post and for the great advice.

It was me that was unclear with what you wanted, it was just coincidence that Silent Hunter meets the criteria. It's the only series on the list that I know of, or have played, except maybe one of those very old ones, and The Hunt for Red October on the NES. I'm just under the assumption that the fifth game has as in-depth multiplayer as the fourth, but I can't say for sure.

xXBelmontXx

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 11:05:46 pm »
Pirates Gold on Sega Genesis i guess.

kingofcrusher

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 02:09:23 pm »
I always wished someone would make a B-52 bomber game that is hyper-realistic, but with modern graphics so you could have a full squadron in the sky. I think it'd be a blast to play multiplayer on a bomber crew while other people flew german fighters and tried to shoot you down, especially if the whole thing was rendered with a nice graphics/physics engine so you could see parts getting blasted off the bombers. There was an old DOS bomber game that was pretty good, but the graphics just were still at the extremely primitive stage where you couldn't tell what the hell was going on half the time.