News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Games with just ONE problem that keeps you from enjoying it  (Read 18719 times)

Dr. Mario

• View Profile
Re: Games with just ONE problem that keeps you from enjoying it
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 12:40:18 am »
Drawn out driving segments. Dear lord are those the biggest turn off in the world for me. I can't play through Half-Life 2 any more because of them.
What is a man? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 12:57:16 am »
For me the first game that came to mind was Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. It's the time limit on the game; I wouldn't mind the counter rising just in battle, or when skills are used, but every attack, and every couple steps you slowly raise the counter. When that counter hits 100% it's game over! I don't like time limits, and I never really will, time limits just frustrate, and fluster me.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 01:19:05 am »
I play the games regardless but when they do that, it urks me so much.
Sudden visions of neologisms derived from Family Matters compel me to point out that the word is "irk".
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 01:33:51 am »
Sudden visions of neologisms derived from Family Matters compel me to point out that the word is "irk".

It urks me that Jaleel White doesn't narrate why you can't bypass certain areas in games.

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 01:37:44 am »
"Irk" from the latin "Ira" which means "wrath."

Wolverine has numerous problems, but one of them is the music. There's only two stage themes in the game and they get annoying.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 01:49:47 am »
The writing in XenoSaga 3. I could rant for hours(And have) about how terrible the writing in that game is. It's bottom barrel crap, and ruined the game for me.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

xXBelmontXx

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 02:04:17 am »
I'd have to say games where you have only 1 life or no continues. Also bad controls , that kills it for me.

Darkmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 03:58:34 am »
For me the first game that came to mind was Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. It's the time limit on the game; I wouldn't mind the counter rising just in battle, or when skills are used, but every attack, and every couple steps you slowly raise the counter. When that counter hits 100% it's game over! I don't like time limits, and I never really will, time limits just frustrate, and fluster me.

I can totally understand this.  As far as Dragon Quarter is concerned, I do remember reading something that if you did nothing but run around, it would take about 100 hours to max out the counter.  Basically, as long as you don't over-use the abilities that rapidly advance the counter, you won't even come close to going over.  Goes up 0.01% every 20-25 steps or so and for each round in battle, except ex-turns, where it doesn't go up at all.  Still, it probably could've used some tweaking, something to still have that bit of tension without having it advance from walking and battles.  Maybe even something as simple as disabling those minor gains at a high percent, like say 98.00%.  Don't think that would be too gamebreaking.  Probably caused a lot of people to get quite upset when they got to 90% or so early in the game and realized there's NO way to lower it.  I thought the game was quite good, flawed as it may be. 

As far as my personal annoyance in games, lately it has to be inventory management.  Annoys me a LOT more nowadays than it used to.  Especially when they're quite limiting in size.  It really depends on the game as to how much it bothers me.  Recently I've played Unchained Blades, a dungeon crawler on the PSP.  Can hold 50 items, doesn't seem too bad, except this game has item synthesis.  So all these loot items you're getting from various gathering points in the dungeons and as drops from enemies, I had no idea if I'd need these later or not.  Even if they didn't make anything useful, you open up more advanced recipes by making a certain number of items, so if nothing else the old stuff would be useful for that.  It does ease up later on when you can do a quest to open up item storage with infinite capacity, but it still seems a bit of an unnecessary aggravation when you are in the middle of a dungeon crawl and have to start throwing away potentially useful items. 

Another offender, oddly enough, was Final Fantasy 4.  Played the PSP version of that a couple months ago.  Fairly limited inventory size and the game keeps throwing worthless items at you.  Minor damage dealing items, other items that cast mostly worthless spells, all the various remedies for status ailments. 

And games where you get a lot of loot that exists to just sell, really shouldn't have a highly restrictive inventory.  I don't want to head back every 5-10 minutes just to sell my garbage. 

Granted, there are games where a limited inventory does add to the experience, as long as it is handled right. 

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2013, 04:29:05 am »
I can totally understand this.  As far as Dragon Quarter is concerned, I do remember reading something that if you did nothing but run around, it would take about 100 hours to max out the counter.  Basically, as long as you don't over-use the abilities that rapidly advance the counter, you won't even come close to going over.  Goes up 0.01% every 20-25 steps or so and for each round in battle, except ex-turns, where it doesn't go up at all.  Still, it probably could've used some tweaking, something to still have that bit of tension without having it advance from walking and battles.  Maybe even something as simple as disabling those minor gains at a high percent, like say 98.00%.  Don't think that would be too gamebreaking.  Probably caused a lot of people to get quite upset when they got to 90% or so early in the game and realized there's NO way to lower it.  I thought the game was quite good, flawed as it may be. 

I'm really undecided on the game, and I fully intend to fully play through it some time soon, but everything else seems great, and it has that one flaw.

Inventory management can be frustrating in RPG's, and in some games it is just downright annoying. I like having it present in survival horror, and in games like Deus Ex, but not Legend of Dragoon, and Dragon Age.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2013, 05:15:19 am »
The noises that are supposed to be voices in Okami. Just too grating. The Banjoo games on the N64 and Killer 7 on the GC suffered from this too. Just unbearable. WHEEP WHEEP WHOOP WHEEP WHEEP.... why not just scratch over a chalkboard or something if you want to torture me?
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2013, 06:09:04 am »
The noises that are supposed to be voices in Okami. Just too grating. The Banjoo games on the N64 and Killer 7 on the GC suffered from this too. Just unbearable. WHEEP WHEEP WHOOP WHEEP WHEEP.... why not just scratch over a chalkboard or something if you want to torture me?

Now I know what to get you for your birthday!
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Square711

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2013, 03:03:54 pm »
Suikoden III: one game, 50+ hours, less than 10 dungeons, 5 screens each. >_>

Technically, it's two things (bland dungeon design and endless backtracking), but they all stem from the same problem: the world is JUST TOO SMALL for a game this long. If they added like five more areas and didn't force me to go back and forth between them DOZENS of times, it'd probably be the best game in the series. As it is, I won't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

Nec5

• It was fun until humorlessness won out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2013, 03:22:49 pm »

Technically, it's two things (bland dungeon design and endless backtracking), but they all stem from the same problem: the world is JUST TOO SMALL for a game this long. If they added like five more areas and didn't force me to go back and forth between them DOZENS of times, it'd probably be the best game in the series. As it is, I won't touch it with a 10-foot pole.
Yeah.  I don't know if it can ruin a game, but lots of backtracking can cause people to lose interest in a hurry.
When Reason Fails

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2013, 03:32:26 pm »
Terra Cresta for the NES. Is it just me or does the music slightly different from the Famicom version?

Lost Vikings GBA. How many times have I died because of how they tried to compensate for the GBA lacking enough buttons? (push R to switch characters, hold R to change the A and B button functions.)
I think it would have less broke the game if they used L and R for items/switches and used Select or L/R while paused as character select.

I thought the Japanese version of Star Soldier N64 was more generous with power-ups than the US, but now I'm not sure. The two versions do seem to have different emulation glitches, at least last I played it on Project64.

Lufia II. US version bugs. While the Submarine Shrine grapichs corruption is still solveable and the corrupted Capsule Monster feeding data is only not much of an issue because the Capsule Monsters aren't that helpful anyways, it still bugs me.

Toy Story. I recall the control on this being pretty bad. If I'm going to play it, I'm going to go with the Japanese version that at least has a password function.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2013, 05:01:58 pm »

I'm in agreement here.  Between the hideous pacing and the odd battle system, it just didn't go over well with me.  I finished it finally, but it feels like a small amount of content spread far too thin.  I actually enjoyed Suikoden IV a lot more.  It gets a lot of hate, but at least it's paced quickly, and doesn't feel like it overstays its welcome.

Suikoden V is another game that tries to ape Suikoden II, but the pacing there is pretty bad, too.  It shouldn't take 70 hours to finish a Suikoden:P
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2013, 07:01:33 pm »
The original Phantasy Star for Sega Master System and Revelations: Persona for PlayStation both have one horrible, horrible flaw for me.

The battle music.

Revelations: Persona's music isn't abhorrent as it is insipid, and there are a few good parts in it. It's just, in a normal battle, you're not likely to ever hear it, since everything will be dead within 20 to 30 seconds. It repeats the same few riffs repeatedly, and it was maddening after a time. It got to the point where I would literally set the team on auto-battle and leave the room. As much as people decry its PSP port, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona, for having music in the vein of the later two games, I will always stand by the fact that "A Lone Prayer" is better than "Battle".

For Phantasy Star, I mostly think it was the arrangement. Its remake, Phantasy Star generation:1, has pretty much the exact same song, just with a different, more modern soundfont. I found the other songs and many aspects of PSI great, it was just this one, unfortunately often-heard, track.

Other than those isolated instances, I can't really think of a time where I couldn't look past tiny flaws in video games. And both times, it was solved by more up-to-date versions.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2013, 08:05:48 pm »
The FM-synth version of the music was way better in Phantasy Star.  Not nearly as much ear bleeding.  The retranslation is available on this very site, with the option to switch between the two soundtracks!  :)
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2013, 09:07:16 pm »
The FM-synth version of the music was way better in Phantasy Star.  Not nearly as much ear bleeding.  The retranslation is available on this very site, with the option to switch between the two soundtracks!  :)
That's the version I played, and I actually think the PSG music for the battle theme was slightly better, but not by much.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2013, 10:53:34 pm »
When something is composed for the SMS sound core, a paint job isn't enough to make it into superior music.

But I actually kinda dig the regular music...I guess I'm weird like that.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Bisqwit

• Polite, but politically incorrect.
    • View Profile
    • http://iki.fi/bisqwit/
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2013, 05:38:46 am »
Drawn out driving segments. Dear lord are those the biggest turn off in the world for me. I can't play through Half-Life 2 any more because of them.

I quite liked the driving segments in HL2. And what is good in case of Half-Life 2 is that they are implemented using the same game engine as is used for everything else. It's not like a game-in-a-game using a different engine. At any moment, you can step out from the vehicle if you so choose, and the game in fact requires you to do so once in a while.