News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Marioland 2 Full Colour Playable Patch  (Read 34468 times)

Da_GPer

• View Profile
Re: Marioland 2 Full Colour Playable Patch
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 02:41:19 am »
What can I say.  I re-downloaded the rom.  Downloaded my patch.  Applied it, loaded it into bgb, it runs fine.

The problem is not a rom-patching issue, it's an emulator issue

Startup bgb and go into options, & choose exceptions
Select "Troubleshoot broken PD roms", and unselect all options relating to emulate as in reality

The patch does not work on a real gameboy, so the emulator must be designed to function accordingly

Ah. Thats maybe why Im having problems. Im using VBA, not bgb. Is there a way to fix it using VBA? Id want to have it running on VBA due to it also being VBA on my Wii as well as my PC.

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 08:00:29 am »
All you need to do is uncheck for "inaccessible vram" "emulate as in reality".  I assumed people would be running it like that since that's how bgb is set by default.

I just re-downloaded the rom, re-downloaded the patch, applied the patch, and loaded it in vba 23.2.  This patch runs fine in vba, you're doing it wrong.  Nothing is wrong with vba, nothing is wrong with my patch, you're doing something wrong.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 08:07:12 am by Drakon »

Crysta

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 08:36:14 am »
What are you using to patch it, Drakon?

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 08:38:42 am »

Crysta

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 08:43:38 am »
Okay.. next question would be is the titlescreen shot you posted at the start of the thread what it should look like when being run or did you change it?

Ridculle

• View Profile
    • TRAF
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 08:49:30 am »
Okay.. next question would be is the titlescreen shot you posted at the start of the thread what it should look like when being run or did you change it?

Why don't you post a screenshot of the screentitle you get in the emulator ?

Maybe Drakon will see what your problem is...
Through dreams I influence mankind

caninis

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 04:25:10 pm »
Certain versions of VBA are set to work with GBcolorizer, while some aren't
The official version (1.7.2) is, while VBA-M (& those based on 1.8.0) may come up with the so-called glitched out graphics

And Crysta, no the title screen posted in the first page is not representative of how the game should look on that screen  (just play on to see the color)

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 08:23:08 am »

No it's not how it should look, I just copied it from the original patch link which also doesn't display the title screen like that.  Once you get past the title screen you'll see it looks proper.

Here you people go.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 08:37:02 am by Drakon »

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2013, 12:32:57 am »
Certain versions of VBA are set to work with GBcolorizer, while some aren't
The official version (1.7.2) is, while VBA-M (& those based on 1.8.0) may come up with the so-called glitched out graphics

And Crysta, no the title screen posted in the first page is not representative of how the game should look on that screen  (just play on to see the color)

No it's not how it should look, I just copied it from the original patch link which also doesn't display the title screen like that.  Once you get past the title screen you'll see it looks proper.

Here you people go.

Ah. I see now. Im using VBA-M. Thats why it gave the messed up colors and graphics. I ran them on the official VBA and got no problems. It looks just like the pics Drakon showed us. Metroid 2 also doesnt have the red background either. I just hope the Wii version will not have the problems. I didnt test it on that yet, but will soon.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2013, 09:00:24 am »
All the more reason for this hack to be made playable on hardware then. Maybe you guys should pick this up again if you aren't too busy. The game is fun enough for most people to want to see playable on a real system. I know it's boring to Drakon, but it's short enough that he shouldn't have to replay it TOO much.

Edit: What version of VBA is reccomended to work with the patch, what are you using Drakon? When I use 1.7.2, the colors aren't set right.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 10:03:04 am by MathUser2929 »

Spikeman

• *unce unce unce*
    • View Profile
    • None at the moment, check out my Last.fm page instead?
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2013, 02:25:05 pm »
Metroid 2 also doesnt have the red background either.

I guess this is a little off-topic, but could you take a screenshot of this? There's still one or two things I'd like to fix in Metroid 2 before calling it finished. With Metroid 2 we did a lot of hacks to make sure it'd run on actual hardware, and I'm pretty sure Drakon tested it on his devcart, so this might be an emulator bug.

As far as Marioland 2, what Drakon's done so far just makes it playable in an emulator, we haven't gone through the trouble to making it fully compatible with hardware yet. Partially because the game is a buggy mess even before the colorization, and partially because we're both busy with other projects.
Open Source Hacking Projects: Guru Logic Champ, Telefang 2, (Want more? Check out my GitHub!)

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2013, 06:50:59 pm »
Hopefully you guys come back to this, cause requiring specific versions of a emulator kind of sucks.

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2013, 10:08:44 pm »
All the more reason for this hack to be made playable on hardware then. Maybe you guys should pick this up again if you aren't too busy. The game is fun enough for most people to want to see playable on a real system. I know it's boring to Drakon, but it's short enough that he shouldn't have to replay it TOO much.

Edit: What version of VBA is reccomended to work with the patch, what are you using Drakon? When I use 1.7.2, the colors aren't set right.

I've been working on other crud.  Got starfox 1 running at 48 mhz, which is insanely fast.  To put it into perspective the default speed of starfox 1 is 21.47 mhz.  If starfox 1 went any faster it would go too fast for the snes to be able to keep up, here's what happens at 50 mhz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt29sSn7B3Y

Pretty good news, I finally got starfox 1 running at the maximum speed possible.

I guess this is a little off-topic, but could you take a screenshot of this? There's still one or two things I'd like to fix in Metroid 2 before calling it finished. With Metroid 2 we did a lot of hacks to make sure it'd run on actual hardware, and I'm pretty sure Drakon tested it on his devcart, so this might be an emulator bug.

As far as Marioland 2, what Drakon's done so far just makes it playable in an emulator, we haven't gone through the trouble to making it fully compatible with hardware yet. Partially because the game is a buggy mess even before the colorization, and partially because we're both busy with other projects.

I tested it on the devcart start to finish it's fine on the real hardware runs just like bgb.  If some emulator is too retarded to even draw the colours like the real hardware then I'm sorry, get a decent emulator.  I tailor stuff for the real hardware, not emulators that can't even draw colours right.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 10:15:27 pm by Drakon »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2013, 03:51:23 pm »
I haven't played the game enough recently to notice the difference. When you get the glitches fixed up you should post a comparison video. It'll do a better job showing off the differences.

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2013, 04:51:09 pm »
Zelda DX definitely used the full palette of colors available, it just didn't use the second bank of VRAM.  You also get different tile graphics depending on whether it is played on a GBC or an original Game Boy.

So, why does it seems to have less colors than GameBoy Color games only?  :o (and I read somewhere that you could only get the full colors in a game only if you dump the retrocompatibility, so it's a fake?)

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2013, 10:44:41 pm »
Something I made for fun.  Marioland 2 reprogrammed to run on a mbc5 mapper chip:

http://www.mediafire.com/?2jb92358149wqfp

What Defines A Monster?

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2013, 09:12:42 am »
Hello.

I made the original Mario Land 2 and Metroid II DX patches.

Thank you for fixing them. I am grateful you did it.

The reason why the title screen (and various other things) look different is because the screenshots were taken from a more advanced version of the colorization. It was far more complete than the initial patch. That completed patch, unfortunately, was lost when a computer crash took down everything I had on my PC. Since the patch crashed after every level, I had never tried to redo what had been lost.

You are wonderful!
What sayest thou, o fool? I say that religion hath done my bidding for me- while ye pretend free will exists, ye take it away and convert by force. Such is ye, who do my work.

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2013, 07:56:14 pm »
Hello.

I made the original Mario Land 2 and Metroid II DX patches.

Thank you for fixing them. I am grateful you did it.

The reason why the title screen (and various other things) look different is because the screenshots were taken from a more advanced version of the colorization. It was far more complete than the initial patch. That completed patch, unfortunately, was lost when a computer crash took down everything I had on my PC. Since the patch crashed after every level, I had never tried to redo what had been lost.

You are wonderful!

No problem.  Too bad making a version that will run on real hardware is too much effort for us to bother.

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2013, 12:51:05 pm »
There is something missing about this game.  When I get starman power, it is not flashing, it just normal.  What if deaf people play this game and didn't hear starman power music?  I just wonder if you can fix it or not.
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2013, 02:02:46 pm »
It's supposed to flash. I've had the game since the '90s and trust me I've had a flashing Mario quite a few times...
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016