News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Chrono Trigger - Envy Hack  (Read 17977 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Chrono Trigger - Envy Hack
« on: March 05, 2013, 09:35:26 am »

Update By: topcat

Chrono Trigger is one of the most beloved RPG's of the SNES era, and arguably of all time. It is the story of 3 teenagers that, while venturing through different eras in time, discover that the future lie in ruins due to an attack from a monstrous, evil beast named Lavos. They set out to save their world and future by defeating this monster. Along the way they travel to many time periods and make friends that will help them in their quest.

This project began in November of 2012 and was just a way to test what could be done w/ the editors that were available. It was set to be an update to the author's preferences. As the game is viewed as "kid friendly" being that any reference to alcohol is changed to soda or lemonade in the pubs. This project was designed to correct that and make the reality of the game more consistent with real life. Due to learning of what bugs these programs can cause only as they come up during testing, this release is the fifth go through of the project, ie version 1.5
In the end most of the dialogue available in the game and in the endings had been changed one way or another. With a few ideas and desires for "better" weapons and armor, all of the deleted equipment has been made available in the game. As this was not done w/ temporal flux, the only way to put them into the game is via enemy drops/steals, so no treasure chests have been added or changed. Some of the already existing equipment in the game has been changed as well, either by name, parameters, or both. Also, enemies have slightly increased hp while giving less exp & tech points. Enough to make gameplay a little more challenging, but not enough to be considered a "hardtype."

This hack contains spoof elements naturally as the author is a vulgar comedian. There are cuss words, adult situations, sexual references, and humor that may be offensive to some. It is not overdone, and the dialogue should not come across as "forced" to fit a joke in. Player discretion is advised.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1194/)

granz

• View Profile
    • granz' corner
Re: ROM Hacks: Chrono Trigger - Envy Hack
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 01:05:02 pm »
"Cuss"? I hope any edits to the game script aren't similarly vernacular.
I'm no longer active on RHDN, but I keep coming back to troll, whee!

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 01:43:42 pm »
I liked the lemonade reference in CT, it was so obvious it was censorship it made it sound really funny. And I believe this "intentional funny censorship" was probably on purpose.

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 06:45:30 pm »
"Slightly stronger" my eye. I died to the first freaking battle because those stupid Blue Imps take like five regular attacks to kill and I didn't buy any Tonics because I didn't expect for them to be that hard. They only take like one or two attacks in the original game, and while I'll admit that may be a bit too easy, five is definitely too much for the first enemy in the game when they're in groups of three.

Anyway, about the dialogue. I don't mind some swearing, but just up to the first battle there were several swears that I felt were too forced and didn't flow well. "It is not overdone" is in my opinion a big fat lie. Maybe it's just because I'm used to the game being censored like it originally was, and the swearing and such kinda ruins the game a bit.

Also, there were a couple spelling/grammar errors I noticed that should be fixed.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:37:54 pm by TheZunar123 »
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 08:00:30 pm »
Hasn't this game already been retranslated?

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 08:08:02 pm »
This appears to be a reinterpretation, not a retranslation. Different thing entirely.

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 03:32:41 am »
This hack contains spoof elements naturally as the author is a vulgar comedian. There are cuss words, adult situations, sexual references, and humor that may be offensive to some. It is not overdone, and the dialogue should not come across as "forced" to fit a joke in. Player discretion is advised.

= Not worth playing, imho.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 04:40:32 pm »
I agree with Spooniest. Spoofs are fine, but vulgarity ruins the game. Chrono Trigger just isn't a game that's meant to be vulgar.

Midna illustrates my point well in the post below. Vulgarity and mature humor spoofs just aren't entertaining to me. Spoofs that don't rely on vulgar and mature content are more fun to play. Nowadays, everyone seems to think inserting swearing and sexual content makes something better and/or more entertaining. I personally think it ruins it, which it part of the reason I dislike M rated games such as Call of Duty. Speaking of which, what's the point of having an M rating? I know a ton of kids around ten that play it, so it's not like the rating keeps it away from kids.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 06:36:59 pm by TheZunar123 »
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 06:27:18 pm »
I'd appreciate this if it was a gameplay improvement and/or an uncensor patch only, but I'm really not a big fan of "spoof" hacks that insert swearing and mature humor just for the sake of having swearing and mature humor, sorry... ironically, it does nothing except make the author seem immature and easily-amused.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 06:48:21 pm »
***der hacks is the place for that.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 09:29:08 pm »
Speaking of which, what's the point of having an M rating? I know a ton of kids around ten that play it, so it's not like the rating keeps it away from kids.
There are plenty of places that voluntarily won't sell an M rated game to a kid directly, are there not?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 10:20:37 pm »
True, but the keyword is "directly". The system isn't foolproof, and kids know that. They'll find someway around it, just to play some stupid wargame.

I could get into a rant of how kids shouldn't be playing those games and all that, but it won't change anything, and besides, this isn't the place for it.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 10:27:15 pm by TheZunar123 »
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 07:40:08 am »
A lot of parents just don't care about what their children are playing, even if it is a bad influence to them. I mean I played 18+ stuff when I was 14, but then again I was "psychologically stable" or whatever you want to call it. On the other hand, I know a kid who's about 12 years old but plays CoD and stuff like that all the time; the difference is that his parents went through a divorce and he's been pretty neglected as it is, making him very susceptible to anything like this. And it shows: "What do you want for your birthday?" - "Guns!" - "Why?" - "Dunno, to kill I guess". But his parents don't listen because hell, how the fuck should I know.

tl;dr It's not the system's fault, it's (usually) the parents' fault.

To get back on topic: I agree with the sentiment that swearing and generally adult-language don't make for a good and mature experience. I haven't even tried this hack, but when an author says "it doesn't feel forced" he's usually wrong. It might not feel that way for him, but then again he's the one who wrote it up. Also, as the others before me kept saying, Chrono Trigger in itself makes pretty much anything like swearing feel forced, because it's just that kind of game.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 09:18:52 am »
So, no one here has actually tried the patch to see what the content actually is before bandwagon ridicule, hijacking, and/or potential trolling of his otherwise nice news topic? I'm disappointed. This kind of treatment is disrespectful toward the submitter and discourages anyone thinking about writing any news for this site.

This is unacceptable. Please refrain from further comment unless it is about this hack or news article. :police:

Perhaps the submitter can elaborate on some of the things mentioned in the article.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 03:59:10 pm »
First of all, there are no instructions for how to patch it. A minor annoyance, maybe, but I didn't appreciate it. You need to apply it to a headerless rom.

Secondly, when I finally got it to work, I was greeted with THIS:

...Speaks for itself, kind of...

This isn't going to end well, I know it.

This isn't how people usually use the word "shitty." There's no way to make this into a "speakable" piece of dialogue and still include the word "shitty." Try it.

This borders on forgivable, if not for...

...THIS.

Once again, this borders on forgivable, if not for...

...An immediate re-use of the same thing.

Taban goes in for a little emotional abuse of his daughter, here.

Immediately after this, he calls Crono a "fine lad." This is what we in the music business call "dissonance."

I want to say, as well, that most of the script in this segment of the game was unedited. It seems like the crude jokes were all that was added.

I stand by my original premise. This isn't worth playing. I'm not grinding and buying potions to beat the first battle in the game. That's not fun, that's work.

I don't mean to hurt the author's feelings, but Chrono Trigger is a fond memory for us all, and it's been pissed on and lit on fire here. I won't stand for it.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 04:32:52 pm »
Ouch. This makes me very sad.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 05:40:11 pm »
This.. This sounds exactly like the dialogue used in another Chrono Trigger dialogue hack that used swear words like that. Hm.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 06:38:20 pm »
So, no one here has actually tried the patch to see what the content actually is before bandwagon ridicule, hijacking, and/or potential trolling of his otherwise nice news topic?
I tried it, and went through the exact same thoughts as Spooniest detailed in his post above. Exact. Same. Thoughts.

If not for the crude jokes and the increased difficulty, this would probably be a decent hack. But those two things ruin it.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 07:47:33 pm »
The fact that "Lots of adult language and scenarios" is a bullet point on the hack's page is awfully telling. I understand Topcat was only trying to make the game more mature, but making everyone - even little kids, even Chrono's mom, even Frog who is supposed to sound polite and formal - talk like a Black Lagoon character is not the way to do that.

Assuming the swearing is supposed to be "funny", it fails in that aspect as well. As I've mentioned, gratuitous profanity is not in itself humorous, and it frankly irritates me that so many people think it is.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 08:10:52 pm by Midna »

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 08:41:34 pm »
A few swears used sparingly can make something slightly more humorous. For example, Mom's second line: "Move your ass, lazy boy!". In my opinion, that's fine, as long as every other string of dialogue doesn't have a curse word in it.

I can't give any more examples because I didn't go past the first battle due to its difficulty.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR