News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM City Rampage  (Read 21182 times)

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
ROM City Rampage
« on: February 27, 2013, 04:13:27 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvx4xXhZMrU

ROM City Rampage (what used to be called Grandtheftendo) will be released tomorrow.

How easy / hard / possible do you think this thing will be to hack, based on the info in the video? Will rom hackers be able to implement the improvements he suggests in the video? Will it be possible to add music, more cars or completely change the map or missions?

It was apparently written with this assembler here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/neshla/develop

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
Re: ROM City Rampage
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 07:58:22 am »
Jesus christ that's awesome.

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 08:44:29 am »
This forum needs a homebrewarea.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 02:58:37 pm »
Holy mother of toast that is amazing as hell
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 04:50:58 pm »
Here's how to get the ROM:

1. Buy the game on the developer's site with a Steam key so that you get version 1.09. Don't buy directly through Steam but through the developer's site and redeem your Steam key. Don't get the GOG.com version, get the Steam version. This way you get both the Steam and DRM-free versions. This method works on the Steam version 1.09.
2. Extract 747E67D6 and C87FC3A3 from gamedata.bfp with BFPExtractor.
3. Use a hex editor to create a file called "RCRheader.bin" containing the hex data:
4E 45 53 1A 20 20 50 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
4. Run this command: (batch files are cool for this)
copy /b RCRheader.bin+747E67D6+C87FC3A­3 "ROM City Rampage [!].nes"
5. Play in FCEUX or whatever you want. haxx0r it.
6. Make sure you bought the game.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 01:01:53 am by Nerd42 »

Dr. Mario

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 01:42:54 pm »
So I did everything you said to do, and when I open the rom in FCEUX it doesn 't have any graphics or anything. It's just kind of like blank boxes for everything. Any ideas?
What is a man? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 03:50:21 pm »
So I did everything you said to do, and when I open the rom in FCEUX it doesn 't have any graphics or anything. It's just kind of like blank boxes for everything. Any ideas?
sounds like your copy command didn't copy the graphics. Make sure you've got all three files and try copy/pasting the command rather than typing it to make sure it really appends all the data. My PC says the resulting rom should be 786,448 bytes.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 04:11:31 pm »
Fascinating.  I'll have to check this out.  I actually ordered this through the website, so I should be good to go.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

juef

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 05:30:06 pm »
It works! Definitely not as polished as one might have hoped, but it's really neat. Thanks Nerd42!

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 08:16:36 pm »
It works! Definitely not as polished as one might have hoped
Isn't that pretty much what we have ... this web site for??  :crazy:

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 10:56:22 pm »
As has been pointed out, it is also entirely possible to play the ROM within the game itself without having to manipulate files.

I'm still kind of curious if he's going to release the details about his hardware dev kit.  There were pictures of that on his website way back in the day.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 11:07:35 pm »
Yeah, you can totally play it within Retro City Rampage without extracting the ROM. My instructions are just for the curious and nerdy. http://vimeo.com/14862316

I'm hoping somebody will hack it to maybe add missions, make the cars actually blow up, maybe add stores to spend the money you get, maybe add tanks and taxi missions ... y'know, generally develop this into an actual NES game

Dr. Mario

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 03:41:19 am »
Okay I figured out my problem, it wasn't pasting correctly. This is pretty neat. I think before anyone figures out how to do anything too in depth like adding sound or mission types, there's a couple of basic things that need figured out. First, someone needs to slap this on a Powerpak or something to see if it works with the hardware. Obviously, I wouldn't be too surprised if it didn't for some reason. The second thing to figure out is if there is any free space left to actually add anything. If there's space, then someone would have to figure out how that little basic mission worked and then figure out how to make a second one happen. Or they could do something a little more (hopefully) simple and do something like making it so if you hit A while you're standing in the gun shop door tile, it exchanges some money for full ammo.

**EDIT**
Just poking through with YY-CHR, it looks like he intended on adding in much more possible game. There's more mugshots, which makes me think that there were more missions. There's a few of the game's characters like the Doc Louis looking guy, The Jester, and Gamedini.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 03:46:36 am by Dr. Mario »

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 10:57:14 am »
Couldn't more space be created by deleting some things? Like the logo for instance and maybe even some of the special tiles on the map?

Dr. Mario

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 06:38:05 pm »
I mean a lot of that really depends on how the individual game itself works and even then adding some of that stuff involves adding a lot of new content.
Take car damage for example. The game as is has no way of handling that. So you have to add in health for the cars, a way to count the health down, something to handle destroying the car when the counter hits zero, the graphics for it, and the ability to do that for all of the cars in the game individually. That is not only a lot of content, but a lot of new information being processed by the game at once.

**EDIT**
I just thought of a pretty fun, small to medium sized, and probably totally possible idea. The way the wanted level works in this game looks to be that for every level more citizens spawn as police instead, the police will always walk towards you in order to attack. Someone could come up with a way to utilize the in game clock to incrementally raise your wanted level over time, make it so killing doesn't raise it, and if there is some kind of basic collision system in place, make it so that if police touch you, you get damaged. Then make it so that every time you kill a police officer it raises your money count. Get rid of random money drops from pedestrians. Then replace the police sprite with a zombie sprite. Boom. A simple zombie survival sandbox game that can even keep score.

Possible ideas to expand on it that may or may not be possible could be like making it so if a zombie touches your car while you are driving it, it still ticks away your health so you can't just keep plowing through them in a car. That way cars would only really be used for escaping the horde. It wouldn't be terrible to decrease the speed of random cars driving by so that it would be easier to steal one either. Also maybe instead of money being dropped by pedestrians, the money pick ups could give you a small health increase instead. Honestly that seems like it would be a pretty fun little arcade style game.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 01:54:17 am by Dr. Mario »

jdheins

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 03:32:24 pm »
^I think that's a great concept!

Okay I figured out my problem, it wasn't pasting correctly. This is pretty neat. I think before anyone figures out how to do anything too in depth like adding sound or mission types, there's a couple of basic things that need figured out. First, someone needs to slap this on a Powerpak or something to see if it works with the hardware. Obviously, I wouldn't be too surprised if it didn't for some reason.

Just joined up to say, I got it to work on the Powerpak

For anyone else that wants to, here's what I did.
I started with the 1.35b2 mappers, added in loopys mappers, then added the experimental MMC5 mapper.

Links to all those can be found here:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=28507

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 05:33:10 pm »
I'd rather see a running-people-over challenge :D

There are really only two kinds of cars in the game according to the video. Civilian cars and cop cars.

caitsith2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 08:04:09 am »
The other alternative way, for those into Wii homebrew, and have the Wii version of the game,  is to use a wad dumper, a wad extractor, and a U8 extractor.  Wad dumper to dump your personally bought copy of Retro City Rampage, Wad extractor to get at the .app files contained within,  and the U8 extractor on one specific .app file, which contains gamedata_wii.bfp.

Once that has been extracted, just rename that gamedata_wii.bfp to gamedata.bfp, then follow Nerd42's guide from step 2, except that you should name the rom "ROM City Rampage Prototype - Wii Version [!].nes".

SHA2-512s are B0563DBB0741E84976036012D01423497465D96CE14D071E1CE0BED41E871003DC72205BCAA86F9602647CD66A11E86D3FAE30692FE5B80EF0CD57FA78D33CBC for PC version, and DEF2A6032820F9979C972EECCF574480D45164A0C3F593326A1B6E7691251A7B1E63F486A6694313CDF0E30F7C04F8FF3163CCC7AF157B9E6453E709A0A6BCF6 for the wii version.  (Wii version has a different program rom, while the character rom is identical.)

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 10:28:34 pm »
4E 45 53 1A 20 20 50 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

MMC5?!?!?  :crazy:

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 10:58:52 pm »
Yes, that much is clear from the video.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...