News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [PSX] Silent Hill :: Help for one Hack  (Read 5003 times)

SWAP

• View Profile
[PSX] Silent Hill :: Help for one Hack
« on: February 21, 2013, 10:38:12 am »
UPDATE:

I need someone who has the knowledge to lock the choice of languages ​​French, attached the original file "OPTION.BIN" and that the Russian translation of "OPTION(RU).BIN" with LOCK on English language ...

The 2 OPTION Files: http://www.filedropper.com/option

Hi everybody, someone can help me to understand the pointers for Silent Hill (PSX)...

I've read the TRAF tutorial about the NES pointers,
Someone tell me it's ''Little Endians'' but i'm not how it's working ( TRAF ) for calculate finding the offsets...

I've try, and try again, but all my results done nowhere...

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 04:44:11 pm by SWAP »

Auryn

• View Profile
Re: [PSX] Silent Hill :: Pointers (Translation & Corrections)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 10:29:47 pm »
Try to be more specific about what is the problem and what are those screens that you posted.

SWAP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 08:06:40 am »
Try to be more specific about what is the problem and what are those screens that you posted.

- On the first screen is all the dialogue
- On the second screen it's, i think it's the pointer table...

But, i've try everything calculate it, but every time i've my resut is wrong...

I've joint the first map file to the post, for someone like to see inside, and try to explain me how it's working because i don't understand it...

Sorry for my english, i try to make more details i can do...

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 10:32:09 am »
If you understood the pointers, have you tested if they really are the pointers??

SWAP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 10:56:07 am »
I have compared and edited with the RUS translation patch, for this section, when i replace the french section with the rus section, all the dialogue is modified, so its the pointer i think, because all the map working correctly, just show the dialogues disorganized...

Screenshot removed

I need help about the pointers, the file joint to the post is the first map, if someone can explain me how i can modify the dialogues and redirect the pointers of these, I can continue my translation ...

Please help me!

I can make one PayPal payment for the solution...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 11:21:44 am by SWAP »

Auryn

• View Profile
Re: [PSX] Silent Hill :: Pointers - Need Help
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 01:39:43 pm »
What you did prove nothing.
If you understood the principle of the pointers, you should be able to tell me which one is the pointer that points to the first sentence and which one is for the last sentence.
When you have done that, I will point you in the right direction again.
I will just tell you that yes, they look like they are the pointers ( but i didn't have tested them) and if you really understood what pointers are, you would not be here asking this questions because the answer is just there under your eyes.

SWAP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 06:06:00 pm »
I tell you, i DON'T understand the pointers, i've just analyse it with the patched file to see what is modified, and i've find this, i think, pointer table... When i've modified this part from the patched file on the original file, all the dialogue is showed disoganised, i say, I THINK, it's a pointers table...

I'm here to understand, how it's working... If I not understood the pointers, and it's so simple for you, I would not ask for help!

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 12:22:30 am »
Have you tried altering that "pointer table" you found? Like switching hexvalues from one place to another and then checking the text for anything different? The pointer is usually at the beginning of the text sentence. Is the text in silent hill in blocks? Meaning that there are a whole bunch of sentences in one specific place in the iso? If so, then check the top of that block and you'll usually find your pointer table.

Here is something Klarth wrote about playstation pointers:

If you can find the text in RAM, you may be able to search a trace log for the RAM pointer and then work backwards.  PCSXTrace works well for tracing, but it has no debugging capabilities.  If you go this route then I suggest:

1. Find the string in RAM.
2. Create a tracelog in PCSXTrace like so:
  a. Do a mark-only trace while not in the text.  (ie. in town with no dialogue if it's an RPG)
  b. Start a trace with all instructions right before you talk to the person
  c. Stop trace as soon as you see the first letter of the string (to reduce log size)
3. Search trace log for the start address of the string in RAM.  (It should be an $80xxxxxx value)
4. Work backwards from the RAM address to find the pointer.  You may want to use a debugger for this.

The pointer table will hopefully be in RAM.  If so, then copy 16 bytes or so of the file and search the CD image for them.  Hopefully you'll get a match.  If not, then the pointers are in a compressed file.  The pointers could also be hard-coded.  In that case, then they'll be split into half.  Each half will be an immediate for an assembly instruction.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 12:38:16 am by Pikachumanson »

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 08:31:56 am »
I've read the TRAF tutorial about the NES pointers,
Someone tell me it's ''Little Endians'' but i'm not how it's working ( TRAF ) for calculate finding the offsets...
Getting upset is not use. From what you said, you understood what pointer are but you don't understand how this special pointers work.
All i wanted to hear from you is that you really understood how general pointers work because if you didn't understand that, it's useless i go on with this pointers.
You need to understand the basics before you can analize special cases...right??
Well now it's clear that you not understand pointers at all so all the nice post of Pikachumanson is more or less useless because you not understand what is talking about.
So go back and try to read another guide about pointers; I am pretty sure there is one in your language as well.

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 11:51:34 am »
Yeah, that second one is a pointer table, and from the difference in offsets (aka length) it's pretty obvious those point to the start of each text snippet.  Those are rdram pointers, so instead of refering to a ROM offset it's actually refering to where the stuff would be loaded in memory at runtime.

By little-endian they mean those are actually stored backward.  First would be 800DB4BC.  All are 4 bytes long, and they'll all start 80------ (that's the start of rdram).  Your strings are all NULL-terminated, which is nice.

If you don't want to do a lot of backtracing, sort your pointers by length and look for ones whose difference matches the difference between two start points.  In that french sample it would be 0x4C.  Then, you can subtract the smaller of the two pointers (the start point) from each of the remaining pointers to get offsets.  Set the correct offsets, then add the base pointer value back.  Pretty simple.

SWAP

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 11:25:36 am »
Out of context...  :angel:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 01:52:00 pm by SWAP »

SWAP

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 01:52:17 pm »
Topic updated  ::)