News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Secret of Mana/Seiken Densetsu II opening/title?  (Read 8777 times)

What Defines A Monster?

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana/Seiken Densetsu II opening/title?
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 08:48:46 am »
A little background on SOM (cheers to those who are already aware of this) and why in many cases Ted's original translation had to be so... erm... clipped.

The game was originally supposed to be on the SNESCD. Massive storage space vs. cart meant redbook audio (imagine that in the SNES era), virtually unlimited dialogue length, and as many explorable areas as budgeting permitted.

And then Nintendo went and did their thing and Square found itself with a massive game and no place to put it.

So... wheee! 1/3 of the game gets chopped up (even in the Japanese versions) and Ted gets handed this insanely coded game script he needs to not only translate, but also condense in a big way.

Oh, and they gave him a month.

Just wanted to toss that out there.
What sayest thou, o fool? I say that religion hath done my bidding for me- while ye pretend free will exists, ye take it away and convert by force. Such is ye, who do my work.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana/Seiken Densetsu II opening/title?
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 10:15:36 pm »
As translations go it's not Woolsey's best work, but given the time and space constraints he had to work with, it's actually pretty decent (or even good).