News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy classics are 50% off on PS Network  (Read 5573 times)

granz

• View Profile
    • granz' corner
Final Fantasy classics are 50% off on PS Network
« on: February 05, 2013, 07:19:15 pm »
This includes titles such as Origins, Final Fantasy V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, Tactics and Dissidia. These are based on the PS1 versions, respectively. The classics are $4.99 each, while I believe Dissidia is priced around $9.99. I think the European PS Network is having a similar sale, or was.

Fortunately, I already own the actual PS1 discs of these games. I don't think the PSN versions changed anything, nor added trophies or other bonus content. :(
I'm no longer active on RHDN, but I keep coming back to troll, whee!

dammets

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy classics are 50% off on PS Network
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 07:28:37 pm »
Do PSN classics have a higher resolution or play full screen on an hdtv, as opposed to playing the games on a ps1? I don't have a ps3 and I'd like to know

fairdenizen

• America's Individuality
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 07:51:23 pm »
This is the perfect chance for Dank to play ff VII and really appreciate it

Niahak

• View Profile
    • Nia's page
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 08:27:44 pm »
This sale also includes FFIV: The Complete Collection for PSP/Vita for $10.  That one's the nicest deal in my book.

The PS1 remakes of the SNES games aren't so great, but it's not a bad deal for the native-PS1 games.

dammets: I'm pretty sure they're just upscaled by the machine.  They look nicer to me, but it's hard to tell if that's because I have a better TV or from the upscaling.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 09:08:55 pm »
I already spent $10 to get the PS1 version of FF5 on PSN. I wish I had only spent $5 on that. Aren't most PSOne Classics about $6. I don't know why S-E felt that version, load times and all, was worth a premium price.
But I should probably shut up for proving them right. :D
Even though I already own a real copy of FF Anthology.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 09:11:23 pm »
This sale also includes FFIV: The Complete Collection for PSP/Vita for $10.
Aside from the crap translation and lackluster localization work (SJIS numbers, really?), that would be a good deal. :P

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 09:38:30 pm »
This is the perfect chance for Dank to play ff VII and really appreciate it

I think he played it. I think he didn't find it all too impressive. Let's see if he spots this to let us know.

You guys know that, if you've got a PS3, you can pop the discs right in and play them. No need to rebuy them. Unless you're trying to play FFX or FFXII. Your PS3 may not handle it very nicely (like mine)
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 09:55:11 pm »
I already spent $10 to get the PS1 version of FF5 on PSN. I wish I had only spent $5 on that. Aren't most PSOne Classics about $6. I don't know why S-E felt that version, load times and all, was worth a premium price.
But I should probably shut up for proving them right. :D
Even though I already own a real copy of FF Anthology.

Only Final Fantasy and the Chrono series are overpriced. I bought front mission 3 for $5.99, even Legend of Dragoon is $6. For some reason the FF series are all $10. Even Chrono Trigger split from FFIV. and FF1 and 2 from Dawn of Souls are both $10.

The other overpriced games are GTA San Andreas of the PS2 classics which is $15 when almost all other PS2 games are $10 (except a few budget ones which are $6-7)

Edit: They had an Atlus sale in November I think it was, Catherine, P3 (PS2) and P3 (PSP) as well as Persona (PSP) and P2 IS (PSP) were all half price. I really should have picked up Catherine when it was $20.

PS1 games do not stretch to fit the screen, on HD tv's they have black borders (exactly the same as playing the games off a disk), unless you change your TV settings, but they do look fantastic (at least FM3 and BOF4 do). PS2 Classics do stretch to fit the screen, but they're not true HD. They still are supposed to look really, I intend to pick up P3 FES, if I do I'll find out whether they really do look better.

Edit 2: For Granz, there's no changes to the PS1 games, as for the PS2 games, they're all the same except they stretch to fit the screen, and if they had online game modes, then they've been removed. The only games that get added functionality are games labeled X:HD Edition. Those are listed under the PS3 games section of the store. Off the top of my head there's: Okami HD, MGS HD collection, Devil May Cry HD Collection, Sly Cooper HD Collection, Splinter Cell HD Collection, God of War HD Collection, and RE4. Those add trophy support, although if you're a stickler for trophies, I'd check online to see if they have full support. As RE4 HD only has a few trophies, whereas the other all have a full set.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:07:48 pm by Next gen Cowboy »
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 10:06:39 pm »
Aside from the crap translation and lackluster localization work (SJIS numbers, really?), that would be a good deal. :P
I've been hearing that FFIV Complete PSP is probably the best version (with the possible exception of the DS version, which is completely different.)

How does FFVI PSP compare to the GBA version, by the way?

Is there a better deal for PS+ members?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 11:54:01 pm »
I've heard the PS1 version of FF6 has loading times. I'd imagine it probably also has poor sound emulation (I know CT did). I'd dare say probably even worse than the GBA version. The GBA version added a few more summoned monsters, and a post-game dungeon. The GBA version also has a bit slowdown in the battles. Though I'd probably prefer that over loading times (assuming it's similar to FF5 and CT).

The PSN version is just a digital release of the PS1 version, so it's stuck playing like it's running on a 1999 version of ZSNES. :P

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 01:06:45 am »
I own Chronicles (CT and IV) for the PS1, but not Anthologies (V and VI) though I have played it. Both 6 and CT have terrible load times as you mentioned. It makes them nigh unplayable. CT's may be worse, because battles will hang for 5 plus seconds before every single battle in the game, but VI is also terrible. I didn't think V had loading times, but the PS1 version was the first time I'd ever played V, and this was many years ago, so I could be wrong. I thought out of the 4 games, IV, and V got away unscathed. I know I don't have any complaints about IV, as it's the version that I actually enjoy playing the most.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 08:30:30 am »
I've been hearing that FFIV Complete PSP is probably the best version (with the possible exception of the DS version, which is completely different.)

How does FFVI PSP compare to the GBA version, by the way?

Is there a better deal for PS+ members?

http://matotree.com/localization/final-fantasy-iv/intro/

Notice how the GBA and PSP scripts are exactly the same?

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,14249.msg220592.html#msg220592

Notice how the numbers are still GIGANTIC? That's because they're from SJIS. It's totally unprofessional looking.

Anyone who says the PSP version is the best version is an idiot.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 02:42:19 pm »
As I recall, one of the longest loading times in CT happened every time you opened the menu.
That's about the worst place to have loading time! >:(

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 03:47:28 pm »
I think the psn version of FFVII had some bug fixes. Like ruby weapon was immuned to paralyze. I tried throwing dazzers at him I tried summoning hades on him, nothing worked. Idk if I was just getting unlucky or what it was. Plus, I think the magic defence bug was fixed in the PSN version. Idk if it was resistance to magic or magic defence. Yeah, so I was facing demon gate, and magic didn't do shit on him. While other enemies I can just one shot with Shiva. Like the ones in mt corel. Is there a difference between "resistance" and "defence"?

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 03:58:52 pm »
Resistance = Magic Defense
Defense = Physical Defense

iirc, anyway. Also, I don't believe FFVII could get bug fixes... Supposedly, Square-Enix doesn't have the source code anymore.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 04:05:27 pm »
You can always fix it through MIPS asm.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 09:39:30 pm »
Anyone who says the PSP version is the best version is an idiot.
But... surely it's an improvement over the engine bugs in both the EU and US GBA versions?  And besides, it's complete, right?

I think the psn version of FFVII had some bug fixes. Like ruby weapon was immuned to paralyze. I tried throwing dazzers at him I tried summoning hades on him, nothing worked. Idk if I was just getting unlucky or what it was.
How the heck would you defeat Ruby Weapon otherwise?  (Aside from chain-summoning KOTR, but that's just mega-lame.)
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!