News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Introduction Topic  (Read 576068 times)

ItsumoKnight

• View Profile
Re: Introduction Topic
« Reply #880 on: March 10, 2016, 06:45:09 pm »
Greetings. I am ItsumoKnight, a beginner Japanese translator.

I like JRPG and VNs for their emphasis on story and worldbuilding. I'm hoping that translating will aid me in learning more about the language. Nice to be here. =)

Canvas

• View Profile
« Reply #881 on: March 18, 2016, 12:46:52 pm »
Hey. I'm Canvas, a hobbyist programmer who just likes messing around with game internals.

Welcome ItsumoKnight. :3

ladyabaxa

• View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #882 on: March 18, 2016, 09:37:53 pm »
Hello everyone, I'm ladyabaxa (or just abaxa, I'm not picky).

I've done a bit of dabbling with romhacking over the years but nothing really complicated - mostly just persistence in a hex editor. One of these years I'll get around to picking up some more useful skills. I'm mostly interested in hacks of old games that up the challenge and that get at unused stuff.

resq

• View Profile
« Reply #883 on: April 03, 2016, 11:18:15 pm »
Hi guys I'm uh RESQ. I guess. I like stuff. Do you like stuff? We can do stuff together.

But seriously what's up everyone. This is a pretty neat little site. Maybe I'll hang out and look at stuff. Maybe even do some stuff. heh.

Oh, I like NES. Yea. That's the stuff I like.
Come with me if you want to live.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #884 on: April 04, 2016, 04:53:09 pm »
Woah, you like stuff!?

No way, I like stuff too! Welcome aboard!  :D
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Rotwang

• View Profile
« Reply #885 on: April 04, 2016, 08:54:02 pm »
Well, as they say in the business... if ya don't like stuff, get stuffed.

theflyingzamboni

• View Profile
« Reply #886 on: April 09, 2016, 06:08:37 am »
Hey, I'm theflyingzamboni, and I have no prior experience in hex editing, rom hacking, or anything else I need here other than a decent ability to figure out computer-related issues. What I do have is a tendency to fixate on pet projects.  :laugh:

Presently, I'm learning romhacking specifically so that I can rewrite the horribly translated dialogue in the English version of The Legend of Dragoon, one of my favorite games from my childhood. So I'm jumping right into PSX without those intermediate steps on older systems' games that everyone recommends.

After a few days, I've actually made decent progress on this as-far-as-I-know unhacked game, finding the font table, text, and pointers/pointer system. Now it's on to figuring out script extraction/insertion, so that I can try to give myself some extra space to write improved dialogue without having to update pointers manually. Hopefully what I write will be actually better, and not just equally silly but with better grammar. It's going to be difficult to break away from dialogue I've grown so strangely fond of over the years.
ROM wasn't hacked in a day.

Fisher

• View Profile
« Reply #887 on: April 21, 2016, 01:27:56 pm »
Hi, My name is Fisher. I'm just a poor Brazilian guy trying to get back old childhood memories and learn something in the process.
I've been lurking in this and many other sites, getting information on how that old "magic" machines worked, so I could fix my old consoles and restore some old and thrashed game cartridges. Seems like a little "ecologically correct" path, instead of throwing this stuff on the thrash, I try to make it work and have some fun with my wife and kids.
Just now I've felt the need to participate a little on the forums, since I just can't get anything else from the tutorials by reading and rereading again and again... I need some nice people to help me understand some concepts and even try to help other people to understand too :-)
I also think my english just got a little better, so I can comunicate fine with most people.

mevoid

• View Profile
« Reply #888 on: April 21, 2016, 01:34:39 pm »
Hey, i'm mevoid. My level at rom hacking is probably beginner-intermediate. I hope this site will help me learn alot more a bout rom hacking :D

Miyamoya

• View Profile
« Reply #889 on: April 24, 2016, 11:11:45 am »
Hello everyone!
I'm Miyamoya, from Italy. I've studied Japanese many years and I already have a bit of experience in gaming translation.
I'm looking for some new translation project to improve my language and translation skills.

Feel free to contact me if you need a hand on some project ;)

jonk

• View Profile
« Reply #890 on: May 01, 2016, 04:39:08 am »
My son is currently rewriting the level/stat logic and battle logic and menu system for an SNES ROM and this has gotten me involved in helping him use an assembler for the 65c816. I'm learning more about the SNES (and game cartridge) hardware, disassembly, and simulators for the SNES as I help him out. (I'm a long time assembly and C coder and embedded instrumentation designer/coder and I've worked at Intel doing chipset and cpu testing using VHDL/Verilog and FPGAs and have taught computer science at the largest 4yr university in my state.) I'm currently having my son use a version of Merlin32 that I modified so that it could link PC-relative instructions across modules and a ROM patching program I wrote to support his ROM development process.

I'm interested in learning from SNES assembly coders as well as helping anyone interested in learning about assembly coding for any CPU or hardware system.
An equal right to an opinion isn't a right to an equal opinion. -- 1995, me
Saying religion is the source of morality is like saying a squirrel is the source of acorns.  -- 2002, me

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #891 on: May 01, 2016, 11:23:33 am »
I must say, jonk, that sounds like an exceptionally fun resume.

jonk

• View Profile
« Reply #892 on: May 01, 2016, 03:59:22 pm »

I love my work and would do it even if people didn't pay me. Luckily, they think they have to and I don't tell them otherwise.  ;)

The NES hardware seems to be still pretty well documented, but I'm not finding quite as good documentation for the SNES. I may need to go read the BSNES simulator code more to gather up the exact details I'd like. Sadly, I think there are few today who actually stay up on this stuff. If anyone knows of people identifying themselves as experts on the SNES hardware and game cartridge hardware, or in the subject of programming significant SNES games from scratch, I'd love to get a name or two to attempt contact (if the feeling may be mutual.)

I'd also like to help others struggling to understand hardware and software related to gaming as well as any other microcontroller programming circumstance. If they are interested, at all. I have many years experience here and could possibly help out.

May 01, 2016, 04:03:02 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

I forgot to add that I've had a game development company in California offer me a job the very next day after a day-long interview process with their company staff. I rejected the offer as being too low, given the requirement for a move and the high cost of living there. But it was nice to know that they immediately felt I would have been a good addition to their team. I also think I would have been, as well.
Saying religion is the source of morality is like saying a squirrel is the source of acorns.  -- 2002, me

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #893 on: May 01, 2016, 08:41:49 pm »
The NES hardware seems to be still pretty well documented, but I'm not finding quite as good documentation for the SNES. I may need to go read the BSNES simulator code more to gather up the exact details I'd like. Sadly, I think there are few today who actually stay up on this stuff. If anyone knows of people identifying themselves as experts on the SNES hardware and game cartridge hardware, or in the subject of programming significant SNES games from scratch, I'd love to get a name or two to attempt contact (if the feeling may be mutual.)

SNES documentation is fairly mature. You may not have been looking in the right place. Anomie's documents should prove sufficient for most things. Is there something else in particular that you can't find there?

There are a number of people on this forum that are well versed with the SNES. This community has created many hacks and translations on the SNES platform after all. They are around if you need help on something specific. Most probably don't have the time for one-on-one teaching or mentoring if that's what you're interested in. Although, there are a few out there that will do even this to some degree. You typically need some subject matter to go on though.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

jonk

• View Profile
« Reply #894 on: May 01, 2016, 08:53:58 pm »
SNES documentation is fairly mature. You may not have been looking in the right place. Anomie's documents should prove sufficient for most things. Is there something else in particular that you can't find there?

There are a number of people on this forum that are well versed with the SNES. This community has created many hacks and translations on the SNES platform after all. They are around if you need help on something specific. Most probably don't have the time for one-on-one teaching or mentoring if that's what you're interested in. Although, there are a few out there that will do even this to some degree. You typically need some subject matter to go on though.
Thanks. I'll take your advice first and see where that goes. Then, if and when it seems appropriate and I've done what I already can with web sites and perhaps BSNES source examination efforts, I'll ask any remaining specific and narrow questions here. That way I save the time of others, unless truly needed.

AWJ

• View Profile
« Reply #895 on: May 01, 2016, 09:01:30 pm »
Thanks. I'll take your advice first and see where that goes. Then, if and when it seems appropriate and I've done what I already can with web sites and perhaps BSNES source examination efforts, I'll ask any remaining specific and narrow questions here. That way I save the time of others, unless truly needed.

For SNES-specific hardware questions and software techniques, there's the SNESDev subforum at NESDev. It's not super-active (I don't think there are nearly as many amateur SNES programmers around as NES or Megadrive) but the people there generally know what they're talking about.

Out of curiosity, what game is your son working on? Reverse engineering the mechanics of CRPGs and war simulations has been my particular area of interest for a long time.

jonk

• View Profile
« Reply #896 on: May 01, 2016, 09:11:35 pm »
Out of curiosity, what game is your son working on? Reverse engineering the mechanics of CRPGs and war simulations has been my particular area of interest for a long time.
Dragon Quest III, with translation patches applied.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 09:44:59 pm by jonk »

Ammako

• View Profile
« Reply #897 on: May 06, 2016, 07:52:20 am »
Hi, I'm Ammako.

I haven't done much in the way of rom hacking, except for one fairly simple hack which I wanted to submit here, because the place where I used to have it uploaded at seems to have a lot of problems actually keeping files up. So I figured this website would be the best place to upload it so it wouldn't get lost.

Haven't really done much rom hacking in a long time, aside from fixing up said hack a little bit back in January, and quite frankly I don't really have the motivation for it. Mainly registered because it was required for downloading and submitting hacks :p and then I figured I might as well check out the forum.

That being said, I can't figure out how to add an avatar. How does it work? Does it require a certain post count?
Edit: I figured it out, apparently the option to edit profile wouldn't show up until I posted at least once.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 09:48:08 am by Ammako »

Blackiris

• View Profile
« Reply #898 on: May 07, 2016, 05:42:05 am »
Hi,

I've been around for a while and posted on a couple of instances, but never introduced myself.

I'm a fresh romhacker with decent programming experience and some knowledge of Japanese, and I'm currently hacking/translation the NDS game Noora to Toki no Koubou (Nora and the Studio of Time). After a long hiatus between August and April, I've resumed work and I'm relatively diligent at the moment.

In case I finish Nora, I'll probably tackle new projects. I'd love to see Atelier Annie translated, for example, though two or three failed attempts probably indicate that it's not an easy task. But one step after another, Nora comes first!

Anyway, I'm happy to be here!

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #899 on: May 07, 2016, 08:26:44 am »
I'm Kaliesto...I'm fairly new here. A friend of mine introduced to this scene a couple years back, and I've been loving it ever since. I'm more of the "idea" person here than actually making anything.