News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Introduction Topic  (Read 420093 times)

Quick Curly

• View Profile
Re: Introduction Topic
« Reply #840 on: January 15, 2016, 01:04:18 pm »
I was messing with Wheel of Fortune for the Nintendo a few days ago, and after looking through the rom in a Hex editor, I was changing simple stuff about the game.  As I dug further, it may seem that in order to full edit the game's puzzles, I would have to disassemble and recompile the code to get it to be fully customized.
Hello, Doffo! Welcome to Romhacking.net! :)

Your post really interested me because you mentioned that you've been messing around with Wheel of Fortune for NES. :D
Back in late 2010, I started to look through the ROM of the PRG0 version myself and began to document as much as I could find out about the game, intending to eventually make a Wheel of Fortune hack with new puzzles and perhaps a new atmosphere. I was always leaning towards creating a Halloween-themed hack for it, but when it came to creative puzzles, I never really came up with much. All these years later, I never bothered to go back to the game overall.

I documented quite a few RAM addresses and ROM addresses, including palettes, text strings, contestant names, some bits of code, and all of the pointers and actual strings for the categories and actual puzzles.
Depending on whether you're using the PRG0 or PRG1 version, the offsets for a lot of the data groups (if not all of them) are different.

I did successfully change quite a few puzzles while working on an attempted puzzle hack, but I just never continued working on it between breaks and other ROM hacking projects.
From my personal experience working with this game, you would really only have to keep track of the new pointers for the puzzles as you change them (either making them shorter or longer) and keep track of the starting offsets for all of your puzzles.

Unless a part of your plan is to actually make the puzzle display in the game larger to allow the potential for even longer puzzles than current limitations permit, I don't believe that you would necessarily have to worry about digging too much into the game's code for anything major. :)

Perhaps this isn't necessarily the best place to discuss the subject in further detail (I'm not intending to derail the Introduction Topic more than I probably already have; perhaps a thread can be started in the Newcomer's Board or ROM Hacking Discussion instead) but I'm curious as to what you have already discovered and changed on your own so far, if you would like to share. :)

Greyfox

• Inspired to always learn...
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: January 15, 2016, 06:19:41 pm »
Cato Felix here.

I'm not new to emulation, but I've been wanting to learn more about the hacking aspect, itself. I'm here mostly because of Fire Emblem, but I'd like to learn anything, really.

I probably won't be a very overtly-active member of the forum, as I'm more a lurker-type than a poster. If I have a question or anything, I'll probably just make sure it hasn't been answered somewhere anywhere else. As I said, though, I'd like to learn as much as I can.

If anyone has any questions or recommendations for FE-related stuff about me, feel free to email.

--
Cato
What would you like to learn, specifically? :)

Veigue

• View Profile
« Reply #842 on: January 17, 2016, 07:40:20 am »
Hello! 32 years old fart from Croatia here!

Fan of old school RPGs (I see that Phantasy Star Gen 2 has been translated, sweeeeet), racing games (Forza <3) and puzzle games. Also, I'm addicted to trophies and achievements, but that is for some other topic.

Cheers!

Sky_Yoshi

• I hate programmings!
    • View Profile
    • My links
« Reply #843 on: January 18, 2016, 07:34:32 am »
Hello! I am Sky Yoshi (Sora Aoki / 青木 空) and I am an Japanese Begginner RomHacker.
I am trying to hack StarTropics, Koko Adventure, Journey to Sillius, and even Super Mario Bros.
But I am an begginner so, it's pretty hard for me.
Also, I make some chiptunes on Famitracker.
I sometimes draw things.
And, my English is horrible but please forgive that.

And... that's it!
if you wanna know more (I guess you don't but...) , ask me!
Hi! I'm Sky Yoshi, a Japanese RomHacker.
I am an beginner of a RomHacker and I'm here because I am interested.
I am trying to hack the stages of SMB1

MertHacks

• View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 19, 2016, 03:45:52 am »
Hello everybody, I am MertHacks. I am 21 years old and I live in germany. So far I've been posting some stuff on smwcentral but I decided to check this site out. I'm currently working on a SMW hack, which gets his own thread soon.

Hope we'll have a good time together!  :)

OneOf99

• View Profile
« Reply #845 on: January 20, 2016, 07:05:33 pm »
Hello, I am OneOf99! Yay for rom-hacking, I guess.  :D

retromarine

• View Profile
« Reply #846 on: January 20, 2016, 07:32:51 pm »
I'm Ryan.  Recently discharged from the US Marine Corps (Sgt, honorably, 8 yrs active duty).  I'm 34 yrs old and I'm still obsessed with retro gaming (mostly NES).  I don't hack roms, but I play the shit out of the ones you guys hack, so keep 'em coming!  I'm impatiently awaiting Dahrkdaiz's release of Koopa Kingdom Escape.  I have invested much of my time perfecting my RetroPie build on the Raspberry Pi.  When hack updates are generated on this site, I pick the best ones and add them to my Raspberry Pi, along with a screen shot or boxart.  If you'd like to check out my build, here's the YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49ZoZCZqtb8

Datsun Adie

• View Profile
« Reply #847 on: January 23, 2016, 12:15:36 pm »
Hey guys, I'm Datsun Adie, just call me Adie.

New to hacking my own roms, wanted to learn how to do it after playing rom, and rom hacks for years.

I'm 25, an auto mechanic, I drive a Datsun 280z, and have a degree in graphic design.

I mostly play gba and nds roms, pokemon and rpg's for the most part. I only play racing games when it comes to modern gaming.

I'll be learning as I go, so feel free to msg me and give me advice, and if you ever need help with your car, just lmk and I'll do my best to help.

FreightMan71

• View Profile
« Reply #848 on: January 23, 2016, 03:48:36 pm »
Hello all...

Just wanted to let everyone know I am LONG time reader of your site, just now decided to actually be a member as I think conversing with fellow retro gamers would be fun.
I've gleaned much enjoyment out of this site, as the talented hackers and game modifiers here have breathed brand new life into many old games that I have beaten many times over.

Thanks for that guys n gals!

Hope to see many of you around the various forum boards here.
In the meantime, please...keep up the good work with the rom hack/translations, etc...... an awesome, awesome site you people have here for sure!

FM71

SonOfASubmariner

• View Profile
« Reply #849 on: January 25, 2016, 02:55:27 am »
So yeah. You probably may have known me from somewhere, or you may not have known me.

But I'll make this plain. I'm SonOfASubmariner. This name is my goto name due to the English SNES FF6 bit after defeating the two M-TekArmors.
"But first, let's talk about parallel universes." -Some guy who's really informative on Super Mario 64

Pnume

• Rondo of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: January 27, 2016, 08:25:56 pm »
Hi, folks.

Longtime emulator user here . . . been emulating games since the early 2000s. My favourite console is the SNES and my favourite emulators are BSNES (with the 'Balanced' setting), Nestopia and Genesis Plus GX (via RetroArch). Currently I'm emulating the Sega CD title Lunar: The Silver Star and am having an absolute blast.

The great and vast amount of rom translations is what drew me to RomHacking but I can see myself using these forums from time.

AlexE

• 2D Animator | Musician | Let's Player
    • View Profile
    • Central Hub Website
« Reply #851 on: January 31, 2016, 06:46:56 pm »
Hi, I'm Alex!  8)

I'm a 2D cartoon animator, background musician, co-host of Totally Good at Games (a let's play show), and a few other things that aren't exactly relevant to video games.

I'm very much into creating chiptunes for retro-styled video games like for what you would find on a NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Boy, and more. I'm actually trying to figure out how I would go about making music for homebrews and ROM hacks so that my music would be in an actual NES or Genesis game!
ALEX E.
Animator | Musician | Let's Player
Looking for video game music (NES/Genesis/etc.)? Email me at adesyndicate@gmail.com!

oathkeeperx

• View Profile
« Reply #852 on: February 02, 2016, 02:51:53 pm »
Hey guys, Ali here! I'm 22 years old and a sucker for old school JRPGS! Recently got a retron5 so that i can play those classic Final Fantasies with the proper translation they were meant to be played with... and not to mention they're cheaper to buy that way. XD :crazy:

blacksmith666

• View Profile
« Reply #853 on: February 02, 2016, 09:57:53 pm »
The first message in this thread was from 2005, wow is awesome how a thread can still  updating since that year.

Anyway, name's Gero Blacksmith from Neuquen, Argentina. I was just reading about 7th Dragon release from 3ds and found out that Yuzo Koshiro makes the music of the game from 3ds of 7th Dragon. Yuzo Koshiro is one of my favorites composers of video game music, street of rage 3 has my favorite OST of any video game ever. So I came to this page to download a translated ROM of the game because never had a western release. I hope I express myself because English isn't my first language, I'm still learning it. That's a little about me, follow me on twitter @geroblacksmith if you are a game dev I follow back for sure.

soundslikepeach

• i eat pizza backwards
    • View Profile
    • peachfuzz translations
« Reply #854 on: February 03, 2016, 01:25:50 am »
Hey! Good to see all of you and stunned to be posting in an active 11-year-old thread.

A friend and I are looking to get gud enough at this business to put our Japanese knowledge to bear on translating the original Boku no Natsuyasumi game or possibly the PSP port. Awesome to see the kind of stuff you're all here doing!

TonyBiH

• View Profile
« Reply #855 on: February 03, 2016, 05:05:23 am »
Hi people.

My name is Tony. Im huge fan of Romhacking. I love to play retro games especially NES games.
I'm long time user of Romhacking site. I'm finally decided to register. Keep up good work.
I always have some ideas about new hack so maybe someone will make it possible. I'm newbie in hacking but im willing to learn. Always like to customise something.

squishdk

• View Profile
« Reply #856 on: February 04, 2016, 03:40:56 pm »
Hi i'm DK and i'm starting to collect famicom and super famicom games so thank you for being in existence because i'm too busy to learn japanese characters.  I havent explore the sire fully yet but is there a dreamcast or sega saturn translator available?

phoenixgurl

• View Profile
« Reply #857 on: February 06, 2016, 04:47:34 pm »
In truth, I'm not new to the site; I've downloaded several tools from here as it is but to download the SMB3 Discombobulator (what a word!), I had to register...how queer (you'll notice right away I use such words as they were originally defined).

Some of the tools, I have no idea how to use or are uncooperative (I run a 32-bit Windows 7 if that helps), but it still interests me to learn how to use them to the best of my ability; I am a gamer, and a game creator and I am better at the latter.

Anyway...I hope I get to learn a lot from people here; I'm a bit of a novice at hacking/re-programming/scripting.

Until we meet once more, give 'em Hell! lol
Amyrakunejo

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: February 06, 2016, 04:53:30 pm »
(you'll notice right away I use such words as they were originally defined)

Is that you, Tharthan?

:D
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

phoenixgurl

• View Profile
« Reply #859 on: February 06, 2016, 05:11:48 pm »
Amyrakunejo