News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Introduction Topic  (Read 576010 times)

Erudition

• View Profile
Re: Introduction Topic
« Reply #780 on: July 25, 2015, 08:40:30 am »
Hello all, my name is Arty and I don't remember why or when I made this account named Erudition, but I just submitted a very primitive robo editor program for Custom Robo Arena yesterday without checking to see what my own name on the site was, so it'll look like I put it up on someone else's behalf. ::)

I've been interested in romhacking and general game modding since before I can remember, having played lots of fan translations and hacks over the years, but only in the last few have I gone in and tested my hand at romhacking, progressing from more user-friendly utilities all the way down to hex editing. Just for fun or to enjoy a game/replay more, not to publish until now.

Anyway what I'm doing now is hex editing my favourite game, Custom Robo Arena, to rebalance robos, fix errors in their stats and their displayed stats (which are separate from actual stats), make power differences more significant, and give the player better information in the robos' descriptions (which were generic for each class even though the code supports different descriptions for every member). It will also include a version that makes all the legal parts available in the first 4 shops for players who are just replaying through the story and don't want to be stuck choiceless for the first hour or so, and also one where robos can't get dirty. Other tweaks like that may be possible. I'm almost done, but want to make some adjustments to illegal robos' displayed stats and descriptions (obviously rebalancing those isn't fruitful), beef up Hadron a little, and then work on improving enemy commanders' sets a bit.

So, hello! That's me WRT romhacking.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 12:20:42 pm by Erudition »

CornFlakes

• View Profile
« Reply #781 on: July 26, 2015, 10:47:14 am »
Welcome Erudition! I hope to see you around here.

Mima

• View Profile
« Reply #782 on: July 30, 2015, 09:59:47 am »
Greetings, I am Mima (or Clam, use whichever you prefer)

Programming has always been one of my favourite hobbies (and by extension, hacking). I am well versed in ARM, 6502 and a bit of 65816. I am also mediocre at C++ and Java because I never bothered to learn properly. I recently got into R because after years of procrastinating, I decided that I'd go back to school and become a bioinformatician.

I am a big music guy, my favourite styles being metal and ska. I also play a lot of instruments (violin, piano, guitar, trumpet and saxophone) and I actually really need to get back into that.

In terms of gaming, I am a fan of card games such as Magic and Hearhtstone, I really appreciate the roguelike genre and a while ago, I started working on a Randomizer program for the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series. I have a bunch of notes for it but I haven't found the time recently to work on it.

I come from Quebec, so my first language is French, but I've been speaking English ever since I was 4.

I hope we all can have fun together!

Luigi_Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #783 on: August 07, 2015, 11:43:50 pm »
Hi, I'm Luigi_Fan.

I like Nintendo(if that wasn't obvious enough) and I also like to write stories.

I discovered the whole modding scene sometime in 2012. I'm not good at it myself, but I played a bunch of other people's that were good.

Hope to have a nice time here.
doesn't actually exist

Quick Curly

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 08, 2015, 12:04:51 am »
Hi Luigi_Fan! Welcome to the site and forum! :cookie:

We all start out somewhere. Are you interested in making your own hacks and mods? Which games are you most interested in?

Hope to see you around. :)

dullian

• View Profile
« Reply #785 on: August 10, 2015, 02:31:53 pm »
Hello there. I recently got more into rom hacking for Japanese learning purposes. What I'm mostly interested in finding ways to extract the text of Japanese games, while playing if possible. I've had some degree of success at this with just a very basic knowledge on how to use hex editors. I would like, though, expand that possibility to other systems, I've only been able so far to extract the text of one or two PSX games and a couple of PC game. I hope  to learn a bit more on this, so bear with me please :P

kaikaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #786 on: August 14, 2015, 12:39:55 am »
Hello everyone! I'm kaikaiser. I am a lover of all thing rpg. I just recently discovered rom hacking and wanted to learn how to extract the game scripts from Japanese rpg so I can translate them to give everyone the ability to enjoy them too. I'm not very savey as to how to extract them yet but am very willing to learn. I am currently working on translating the scripts I have that someone ripped from unchained blades exxiv for me, which is going pretty well. Thanks for having me and looking forward to learning as much as i can from everyone!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 12:48:03 am by kaikaiser »

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #787 on: August 14, 2015, 12:54:09 am »
I guess I forgot to introduce myself. Hi guys!

Some of you may know me from TASing under the alias FODA (I've seen some familiar names already). I've registered to the forums to comment and talk to Ti_ about his amazing battletoads hacks (thanks to Goro's Lair for bringing it to my attention) and now I'm finding myself making my super mario bros hack using the disassemble. Yeah I know, another Super Mario Bros hack, but I think it's the easiest to start learning from since it's so well documented. Anyway, I've got some stuff done, having difficult with other stuff, but it's good to learn. I know nothing about assembly and I'm not really a programmer, but it's fun nonetheless.

Stuff I've managed to do:
edit title screen, edit levels, edit background, dump ppu from fceux, split it using ppu splitter, edit chr banks and sprites, merge then in hex, fix the chr banks headers (I think that's what it was, the end section was full of 00's after saving the chr edit), edit palette in hex, edit palette in the disassemble, create specific ips to patch the rom, make the B button stay pressed in super mario bros using the disassembly, and finally use the compile batch and have a working rom. And maybe some other stuff...

couldn't do yet:
keep the right button pressed in super mario bros, remove the coin sprite from the top bar

note that I want to have everything working from the disassemble for some reason.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 01:10:51 am by nesrocks »

BigLou

• View Profile
« Reply #788 on: August 14, 2015, 05:48:29 pm »
Hello, everyone.  My name is (shockingly!) Lou and I don't know much about this world, but I'd sure like to learn.  I have been playing video games since the mid-70s, and within the past couple years have become aware of emulation.  I used to be a pretty 'hardcore' collector, but all of that seemed to change when I learned that I could have entire console libraries on tiny chips.  I am mainly a handheld guy (though my wife loves the PS2 and GameCube), and I've got a pile of DS Lites, GBA SPs, and PSPs.  Some of these have been 'hacked', via friends, but it's been years.
I recently picked up a PSP that had been languishing in a dresser drawer only to find it stuffed with emulators and my beloved Resident Evil games -- imagine my delight!   

As I really know little about this stuff, the finer details and slang and whatnot, please be easy on me until I get a better grasp, eh?   Also, I'm not sure what I'm able and/or unable to discuss here, so I might need some guidance there, as well.

Thanks for having me, looking forward to it all!    :)

SkyeWelse

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • A Rocket Knight exploring Xanadu
    • View Profile
    • Retro-Type
« Reply #789 on: August 17, 2015, 11:44:24 pm »
Hello and nice to meet everyone here. I thought I was already a member and had joined long ago, but as I wanted to post some notes of encouragement in a thread that I just happened by and I've just now realized that I guess I was always "Lurker" status. :0

Gaming hobbies are pretty much my existence outside of work and home life with the wife. My passion is for retro games and I've collected and have played quite a bit of them. I've had nothing but respect over the years for the hard work of romhackers out there spending their valuable time making it possible for folks like myself, who do not speak Japanese fluently enough to fully comprehend a game's story or options.

I co-run a small start-up Romhacking community now which aims to look at a few Falcom PC and PSP games, as well as a few titles for PC-98. We all have our own projects, but my main one is for the PC game, Wander Wonder, by Compile.

Anyhow, I wanted to give a big thanks to romhackers out there and to this community for keeping track of everything for so many years.

-Thomas

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #790 on: August 18, 2015, 03:23:44 pm »
Welcome to the board.

I've always wanted to do translations of PC-98 games and Falcom games too. In fact, that's what got me into fan translations in the first place. I've been tossing around the idea of translating the first Gargharv game for the PC and Nayuta with a few friends. All we have are extracted scripts at this point though.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 03:33:36 pm by Pennywise »

waldrumpus

• View Profile
« Reply #791 on: August 19, 2015, 12:35:18 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm waldrumpus. I'm currently working as a translator on the localization effort on Ripening Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love. Here's the blog, if you'd like to take a look: http://tingletranslation.blogspot.de

I've also become interested in hacking NES/Famicom ROMs in the hope of translating some of my old favorites into German. I hope to be able to find lots of valuable resources here.

Pleased to meet you all!

SkyeWelse

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • A Rocket Knight exploring Xanadu
    • View Profile
    • Retro-Type
« Reply #792 on: August 19, 2015, 12:42:08 pm »
Welcome to the board.

I've always wanted to do translations of PC-98 games and Falcom games too. In fact, that's what got me into fan translations in the first place. I've been tossing around the idea of translating the first Gargharv game for the PC and Nayuta with a few friends. All we have are extracted scripts at this point though.

Nice to meet you too Pennywise,

Well, I guess we are bad at announcing projects to other communities, but Nayuta no Kiseki (Nayuta: Endless Trails) has had a rough draft translation completed for it that is in need of a translation checker. The only elements that are not translated are the video/apng files located in a format called .ITV. We reached out to the hacker for the Zwei II translation project, ZZBlue and he was able to help assist us with creating a tool that would allow for us to unpack and repack these ITV files. They look like this after editing around 80 frames of animation or so. At some point I plan to do the rest of these... but it would be very, very time consuming and it's really only used for the introductions of Boss Names and Location Names.

*Note, you'll need a newer browser that supports APNG files to be viewed in order to see the animation of the above image.
This is what it looks like "so far" in the game for this particular boss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlD3370JiNU&feature=youtu.be

All other graphic edits have been completely edited and inserted into the game making the game playable fully in English aside from the animations I mentioned above.

The first Gagharv game is one that is on our list to do as well. One of our hackers for this, Xalphenos, who is also the lead on this project, wanted to start this project many years prior but ultimately dropped his progress on the project due to EdenYaku's announcement. Since that fell through, he and I will be working on that together. We can likely use more help if you are interested, but I'd pretty much leave all of that up to the project leads of each respective project to decide on.

Also, most of our tools are ones that we develop and make freely available to the public. I won't advertise our community URL here since I wouldn't want to spam it on another community's forum, but it shouldn't be too hard to locate if you are interested in seeing what we are working on.

I think out next release will be Brandish 2 Renewal for PC-98 more than likely.

-Thomas
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 12:50:04 pm by SkyeWelse »

Fellowzdoomer

• View Profile
« Reply #793 on: August 30, 2015, 02:48:43 am »
Hello. My name is Fellowzdoomer. Known as Model FZx on one place, FizzleZap on MMLShare.com and Fellowzdoomer every else. Judging by my name, I am a fan of a 1993-94 game named Doom. But, hey hey hey! I also play NES games! I am currently hacking Mega Man 2, so far it's just minimal graphic changes, as seen here.

(Do ignore the fact that the game was made in 1588, I replaced the 9 tile with a 5 :-D)

Anyway, I came on here to ask for assistance in my hack! Oh, and I host a site, too!

http://www.geocities.ws/biglevels is where I place all my hobbies and stuff at, so, uh, yeah! Clicky-clicky! :-D

I hope I will be able to help anyone here in exchange for help myself.

PKstarship

• View Profile
« Reply #794 on: September 08, 2015, 02:42:12 pm »
Hi! I'm PKstarship! I recently got into ROM hacking thanks to a very helpful man on acmlmboard 2 (The guy i'm talking about is, suprisingly enough, one post above me! Small world huh?). Anyways, I'm currently trying to make a Mega Man 2 hack,  I figured I should come here for help and stuff. Nice to meet you all!

Fellowzdoomer

• View Profile
« Reply #795 on: September 16, 2015, 08:15:41 pm »
♩It's a small world after all.
    Iiiiit's a small world after all---! ♩ *shot*

Surprised to find you here! Welcome, I guess? :p

Prince Manic

• View Profile
« Reply #796 on: September 22, 2015, 06:36:07 am »
Bow down the green prince! nah kiddin' I like to go by as Prince Manic or just Manic the hedgehog (which this is a a username I tend to use)

I'm starting to be instrested into this Hacking stuff like I always them Rom patches like translations to make it english and to graphical hacks or addons.

As I go there this site I felt why not I create a hack of my own to begin with and I may try Dr. Mario (if I had the right tools to mod the title screen)

I'm also not a graphical artist so I can't create sprites like a simple NES Sprite though.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 09:21:31 am by Prince Manic »

Firionel

• View Profile
« Reply #797 on: September 26, 2015, 11:51:12 am »
Hi everyone! My name's Rafael, but Firionel sounds way cooler, so call me that  ;) I'm here because I'm learning the basics of romhacking and hey, I guess the best way to learn is to talk to people who alredy know this stuff.

I know how to make tables with english characters and how to use TLP, but I've still got a long way to go before I can do any serious hacking. One of the main reasons I want to learn this is because I want to make a Spanish translation of Final Fantasy IV. I know there have to be people who've alredy done that, but I'm also learning Japanese so it'd would be a excellent way to put my skills to the test.

So, nice to meet you and I hope I spent a great time here :)

VenusBananaPeel

• View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 02, 2015, 04:42:50 pm »
Hello everyone. I'm Venus or Bee. Both work.

I'm very interested in the community here. I've been importing famicom, super famicom, and game boy games and playing them using the retron 5 and translations found on this site.

I'm really interested in fan hacks of games. My interest peaked after seeing what Mr. Tenda is doing. I'm hoping to get some everdrives at some point, and I want to learn about how to play fan hacks and just fan hacks in general.  :)

mgasparino

• View Profile
« Reply #799 on: October 05, 2015, 10:20:01 pm »
Hi.  I'm Mike.  I can't believe I finally found a board that has a post that isn't from 2010.  So people are still actually emulating games!  That's great to hear.  I'm not even sure where to begin. 

I've been playing since I got my first Atari 2600 when it actually came out.  I've been hooked ever since all the way to my current PS4.  My how games have changed.