I guess I forgot to introduce myself. Hi guys!
Some of you may know me from TASing under the alias FODA (I've seen some familiar names already). I've registered to the forums to comment and talk to Ti_ about his amazing battletoads hacks (thanks to Goro's Lair for bringing it to my attention) and now I'm finding myself making my super mario bros hack using the disassemble. Yeah I know, another Super Mario Bros hack, but I think it's the easiest to start learning from since it's so well documented. Anyway, I've got some stuff done, having difficult with other stuff, but it's good to learn. I know nothing about assembly and I'm not really a programmer, but it's fun nonetheless.
Stuff I've managed to do:
edit title screen, edit levels, edit background, dump ppu from fceux, split it using ppu splitter, edit chr banks and sprites, merge then in hex, fix the chr banks headers (I think that's what it was, the end section was full of 00's after saving the chr edit), edit palette in hex, edit palette in the disassemble, create specific ips to patch the rom, make the B button stay pressed in super mario bros using the disassembly, and finally use the compile batch and have a working rom. And maybe some other stuff...
couldn't do yet:
keep the right button pressed in super mario bros, remove the coin sprite from the top bar
note that I want to have everything working from the disassemble for some reason.