News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Introduction Topic  (Read 587593 times)

ZephyrShakuraus

Re: Introduction Topic
« Reply #160 on: October 01, 2006, 01:39:15 pm »
<Dragon_Hellfire>   Heheh
<Dragon_Hellfire>   I've attended the chat room for about 4 months, I think I will join the board now.

You might know me, if not, I can't tell you who I am, I'll stick around so you can find out.

I might know you.  After all, how many Dragon Hellfire's can there be on the interweb.

Oh, and I'm ZephyrShakuraus, despite the lack of space it is two words.  If you feel lazy, don't even attempt to spell my last name, "Zephyr" or "Zeph" will do.

I'm in university and when not doing homework, I'm rather bored and rom hacking was my idea to keep me busy.  I'm new at it, so expect lots of "wahhh! I need help" topics from me.  I do have a few basics under my belt (despite starting yesterday, I learn quicky).

I'm mostly looking into the "tough" stuff of GBA hacking, Fire Emblem games in particular.

As for interests, reading, writing, video gaming, philosophising, computerising, other nerdy stuff, even D&D.

Metal Knuckles

• WE MUST GATTAI
    • View Profile
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #161 on: October 26, 2006, 02:10:51 am »
Hmm, an introduction thread! How erotic!

Name's Metal Knuckles, I've been part of the ROM hacking community for a couple years now. I started over at the SSRG, made my way over to ACMLM, and now here. For hacking progress... err, yeah. I have a mod of Sonic 1 that I'm planning on finishing... someday... and I've got a LtTP hack that I work on on the occasion.

On a less community oriented note, I go to Champlain College for a Bachelors in Electronic Game Programming. And I have an XPS 700, which is like a cross between the juggernaut and a ninja. The only downfall of that is my hard drive is probably gonna Dell-splode on me someday.

I like stuff.

Malias

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 31, 2006, 02:07:47 pm »
Hi, the name's Malias

I've been lurking here for quite some time, so I figured I might as well make my presence known.  I'm an occasional rom hacker, meaning whenever I feel like it (or when I've got nothing better to do), and I'm mostly on the translation hacking side of things.  Of course, most of the above is wishful thinking, but what other kind of thinking is there? :)
My level of experience is well, um, not newbie and I hope I can prove that with a hack I'm working with off and on which I hope to complete soon.  Anyways, this site's awesome and I plan to keep it that way by not making too much a nuisance of myself.
The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~

Suzaku

• Job change!
    • View Profile
    • Studio Llama
« Reply #163 on: October 31, 2006, 03:41:40 pm »
Welcome! I think you'll find that this is quite the friendly little community we have here.

Yerond

« Reply #164 on: December 04, 2006, 02:04:31 pm »
So, my name is Yerond. I am 22, with nothing more than a high-school diploma and a knowledge of both english and french (which is my first language). I'm currently working at a local community center, where we help poor people. I am the responsible for the kitchen where all the food is prepared, responsible for making sure it stays clean, and I also wash the dishes... and get payed for all of that, while helping people in need too! After my one-year contract with this community center, I plan on studying in social working­. (I had tried studying in Litterature before and failed miserably... not because I'm not good, but because it was so boring and I was learning nothing, so I just didn't go to class).

On a more "hacking" community note, I've been lurking sites about translations since sometime before the FF5 translation (which is the first I remember seeing) so probably around 96 or so. Used to visit Zophar, and then the whirlpool (almost religiously) and then this place also. I personally have no talent.. or desire for hacking or translating, though after all these years just lurking these sites, I've picked up the basic of what it is, and can understand -some- of the complex hacking talk. Still it fascinates me, and of course, I love playing the games people translate!

As for hobbies... I love reading, writing (I have one published poem to my name! woo!), gaming of course, watching movies (and I admit I like the "intellectual" movies the best though a good action movie can be lots of fun) and of course listening to almost any music (the british band Pulp being my favorite though I usually like Heavy Metal and rock a lot more...).

Well, that's about it. I think it's one of the first time since all these years that I actually post on a translation site   :-[

fktizle

« Reply #165 on: December 09, 2006, 01:52:14 pm »
Hi I'm FKTizle and I want to learn how to edit GBA games. This is not my first time, as I have edited a few games for the N64, but this is totally different. So any help is needed and appreciated. Thanks.

r0xm2n

« Reply #166 on: December 17, 2006, 07:11:57 am »
R0xm2n here. 25 (going on 26) Male, I live downunder in Aussie.

I used to play UT2004 online, but I'm getting persistent packet loss lately (internet sucks downunder). Almost nobody plays the damned thing anyways.

I'm slowly getting into hacking Final Fantasy 3 US (for SNES), about the only things stopping me from diving right in are learning HEX editing, tables and DTE text.

My hack, if I ever go through with it, would be part gameplay balancing and part dialoque hacking.

DreadPirateBipo

« Reply #167 on: December 24, 2006, 04:32:12 pm »
'Lo. I'm the Dread Pirate Bipo. I'm a friend of that son-of-a-moogle, SonofMog. I'm not much of a ROM user and I have no computer skills, but there was a discussion I couldn't keep out of regarding infinity and the universe. Well, peace!

Corsair

• Celestial Crown
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 28, 2006, 02:09:29 am »
Corsair is the title I usually run by, But my given name is Brian.
I love old schoolin' games, and this manifests most visibly in the form of pixelart. I am an artist of mediocre
talent (but hey, i'm trying!) and a writer of some caliber. What caliber that actually is? no idea.
My right brain appears to be my dominant hemisphere.

anyways, i've been mooching off the community for some time now and thought i'd participate a little more in it.

I started getting into emulation about 7 (almost 8) years ago so i'm pretty handy with most things, and learned just about everything i know abou computers because of it.
I'm not naturally a technically oriented peson, but it's amazing what nostalgia can do for your learning processes.

Generally pretty laid back and easygoing unless you've managed to offend me (which isn't an easy thing to do.) or the topic is something i'm very passionate about (again. not a whole lot)

So i guess i'm kind of a bum, and i' going to use this frum as my new park bench to sleep on and mumble to passers by some little nuggets of nonsense.

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 05, 2007, 10:47:21 pm »
current alias: Panzer88
given name: Tim
birthdate: June 23, 1988
got into emulation: Y2k
I've been playing and breathing computer/video games my entire life thanks to my older brothers. I grew up in the highlands of new guinea in the south pacific and enjoy hiking and generally mucking about in the outdoors. I and my family are Americans but growing up in a commonwealth country has earned me some Aussie terms and I usually refer to gamesystems by their Aussie names when I'm not thinking about it because that's what I grew up with. There's plenty more to me I suppose but that's all the comes to mind.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Niahak

• View Profile
    • Nia's page
« Reply #170 on: January 06, 2007, 01:02:08 am »
I never got around to posting an intro here so...
I'm currently a lurker.  I finished up a solo patch for an NES game named Jesus and have no current project, though I'm trying to brush up on my kanji so I can hopefully translate more stuff - though hacking ROMs themselves is probably beyond my capabilities if ASM is necessary (i.e. I probably won't hack any more on my own).  I also write for a small videogame news / review website from time to time.  I go by Niahak on every forum I visit.
I'm 22 and a graduating CS/MA major at a pretty small college.

Zodiac

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2007, 02:52:04 pm »
I'm not even sure if that makes sense, but I hate coding.

Last year I took a programming course and seeing what coding was, seeing what JAVA was, I just couldn't stand it and quit at the first half of the semester.

I had only one project in head, but I have a new one, and since it concerns the same game it won't be troublesome.

I'm going to be the first one to release a Final Fantasy Tactics hack, and based on Final Fantasy Tactics: Shishi Sensou (PSP remake).
It will include the following:
- New jobs (including the PSP's new ones)
- Complete re-translation (based off PSP's one)
- HEAVY skill/jobs alteration
- Skills balancing
- Maybe I'll add some new monsters in there too...

I want to create new maps too but I'm unsure on how they work; since the field is in 3D and the map files are pretty big.

It looks like this site will help me a lot. And I ain't gonna give up on that project. It's been more than 5 years since I first wanted to hack this game. Thanksfully, this site should be able to give me a big hand.  :)

Plus, this looks like a fun community. ^_^

creaothceann

• SPINESHARK
    • View Profile
    • creaothceann's website
« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2007, 03:42:26 pm »
Tried other languages? Pascal, Basic, Turtle graphics/Logo, ...

Zodiac

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 10, 2007, 05:59:41 pm »
Not really, I did try PHP to make a online FFT version but I quit since I couldn't find any host worth the trouble and that language limited me too much.

My friend just told me Rom hacking was a waste of time. :)
It really is, but at least I have fun with it.  :P

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #174 on: January 11, 2007, 09:31:36 am »
What is it with these new people and thinking programming languages are always so 'limited'. I've been programming for years and I've never had a case yet where a programming language was too limited to accomplish the task I needed.

Wait. Let me get this straight. You were trying to use PHP for game programming? You may want to pick a language that is more accessible to graphics and sound libraries. PHP code could control the server functionality and backend, but the actual game should be programming in a different language such as C/C++ which would open itself up to the multi-media libraries of your choosing.

No offense, but I think people need to learn how to program before they start labeling languages as being 'limited'.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Zodiac

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 11, 2007, 11:30:49 am »
I know that it is possible to code C along with PHP; you can even use flash to do so. But the fact is that I'm not so overjoyed in learning programming languages and I even have a hard time with it. So in my case, the amount of effort needed to accomplish that kind of task is too much.

You DO acknowledge that some people are better at some things while others aren't don't you?

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but for me, languages aren't part of other languages, therefore I don't consider Javascript to be part of HTML when I say that it's too easy to learn.

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #176 on: January 11, 2007, 12:49:34 pm »
I know that it is possible to code C along with PHP; you can even use flash to do so. But the fact is that I'm not so overjoyed in learning programming languages and I even have a hard time with it. So in my case, the amount of effort needed to accomplish that kind of task is too much.

You might want to reconsider such a large project then.
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #177 on: January 11, 2007, 01:08:04 pm »
You DO acknowledge that some people are better at some things while others aren't don't you?

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but for me, languages aren't part of other languages, therefore I don't consider Javascript to be part of HTML when I say that it's too easy to learn.

Of course I acknowledge that. I challenged the fact that the programming languages you use are too limited to accomplish the task you desire. I don't believe that is what the problem is. Your knowledge of them may be limited, but the abilities of the language are rarely too limited to be used for a task. If you disagree, then tell me the language and the limitation of that language that is so terrible?

The amount of effort required to do something is a very different thing than limitations of a programming language.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Zodiac

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 11, 2007, 04:12:38 pm »
Depends where you fix those limitations. Like I said, I personally fix those limitations to the language in itself, and as for you, you don't fix them anywhere. Of course I know that there is ALWAYS a way to do things out, but I'm not a superior entity that can "build a car myself" with a Korean instruction manual.

Oh well, call me dumb to think that C isn't part of PHP but they're still two different programming languages.

That been said, case closed.

So stop hating me now, will you?  :-\

And Redcomet, for the amount of effort I'm willing to put into this project, I should be able to do everything I want to do. I'm not gonna do anything that will require an enormous time investment anyway, mainly because I'm currently learning Japanese and I'd prefer investing my time into that.

Actually, I'm finding more and more things I wasn't thinking of changing and believe me, I'm actually pretty satisfied with what I can currently change. I came here simply to find out how to change more stuff; that, and being yelled at by NC. :)

creaothceann

• SPINESHARK
    • View Profile
    • creaothceann's website
« Reply #179 on: January 11, 2007, 04:34:09 pm »
Nobody's yelling. :(