News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Introduction Topic  (Read 436031 times)

indecks

• View Profile
Re: Introduction Topic
« Reply #1180 on: March 12, 2019, 01:22:14 am »
Salutations everyone.

My name is indecks (index :P)

Im 41, and have absolutely NO IDEA what I'm getting myself into, but I want to attempt to translate a game several people have started, and eventually abandoned for one reason or another.  I have no programming skill, and the closest I've ever come to translating a game was applying an IPS patch for a translation of Star Ocean on the SNES.  I dont even know if that type of tool exists anymore.

The game I am after is Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits Bushidō Retsuden, most commonly known as Samurai Shodown RPG for the NeoGeoCD.  It seems there have been several projects to get this translated to English, most notably a guy named MoriaMug or "Deuce." The last Ive seen is a guy named Apocalypse trying it, and he apparently got about 30% of the way through (I think) and abandoned it.

There is apparently a French translation, and someone was trying to translate from French to Spanish at one point, but even *they* gave up.  From what I gather, the biggest problem with the NeoGeoCD Japanese version of the game is due to spacing and timing, but seeing as there is indeed a successful French translation floating around out there, I can only imagine that the spacing/timing issues were solved for Japanese to French. So maybe French to English is going to be quote-unquote 'easier.'

I have no idea what I'm in for, and truth be told, I don't even know if I'll be able to even begin this monumental task. I clearly have a lot of reading to do.

#

• View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: March 12, 2019, 07:22:06 pm »
Salutations everyone.

My name is indecks (index :P)

Im 41, and have absolutely NO IDEA what I'm getting myself into, but I want to attempt to translate a game several people have started, and eventually abandoned for one reason or another.  I have no programming skill, and the closest I've ever come to translating a game was applying an IPS patch for a translation of Star Ocean on the SNES.  I dont even know if that type of tool exists anymore.

The game I am after is Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits Bushidō Retsuden, most commonly known as Samurai Shodown RPG for the NeoGeoCD.  It seems there have been several projects to get this translated to English, most notably a guy named MoriaMug or "Deuce." The last Ive seen is a guy named Apocalypse trying it, and he apparently got about 30% of the way through (I think) and abandoned it.

There is apparently a French translation, and someone was trying to translate from French to Spanish at one point, but even *they* gave up.  From what I gather, the biggest problem with the NeoGeoCD Japanese version of the game is due to spacing and timing, but seeing as there is indeed a successful French translation floating around out there, I can only imagine that the spacing/timing issues were solved for Japanese to French. So maybe French to English is going to be quote-unquote 'easier.'

I have no idea what I'm in for, and truth be told, I don't even know if I'll be able to even begin this monumental task. I clearly have a lot of reading to do.
Welcome and good luck! Are you planning on using one of the partial NGCD translations or even a complete translation from one of the other versions(if those exist) or will you start from scratch?

indecks

• View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: March 12, 2019, 07:57:01 pm »
Welcome and good luck! Are you planning on using one of the partial NGCD translations or even a complete translation from one of the other versions(if those exist) or will you start from scratch?

Honestly I have no idea. Ideally, I'd like to see if I can even find an English translated script. But if not, I'd like to see if I can get my hands on a French or Spanish translation, so I can just google translate it at the very least. If so, I also need tools to do the hacking/translation itself. As far as I know there are 3 versions of the game. NeoCD, Saturn, and Playstation.  My aim would be to play the "original" content on NeoCD, but if there is a much easier version to translate, then I'll go for that one in order to just get it done.

Please please understand where I am in this - I dont know *anything* about ROM hacking, translating, tables, hexadecimal, or anything. I am literally an off-the-street beginner with no idea which way the starting line is. For all I know I will probably fail at this like so many others that know so much more than I do.

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up. I just want to play the game and be able to read the text. I even heard the game isn't all that great, but it's like a Holy Grail for me, and I'm much too far in life to start learning one of the most difficult languages on the planet to play it in it's original form.

Ligudink

• View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: March 16, 2019, 09:03:57 pm »
Yo peeps,ligudink here,I'm a visual novel enthusiast,my first game in that genre was Ace Attorney 1 on my iPod,freaking loved it,always  have,and I always will,i'm currently a medical student,1st year,not a pro in hacking or anything,but I do have a few goals I wanna accomplish in ROM hacking,my main one though is making a lebanese-arabic patch of ace attorney 1 on the gba,I will do my best to learn all what I can from here to get started,if the DS version is easier,so be it.

cargo

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: March 21, 2019, 02:32:00 pm »
Hello!

Long time fan of the site. I've always been amazed by the huge amount of content created every month. Almost seems like there's no shortage of energy or enthusiasm. No game is too small to be unseen or too niche to be overlooked. My favorite hacks are mostly famicom translations, controls and easy improvements. I only wish I had the time to check them all! Just happy to be here.

Thales_MA

• A Brazilian boy who like video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: March 22, 2019, 01:48:55 pm »
I'm Thales, and I really like videogames and things related to them.
I started playing games at age 6 and my first game was Need of Speed Underground 2 (PC version). Since then, I only played online games (like on the Click Games site and etc.) until I won my tablet and played games like Angry Birds, Raging Thunder 2 and etc.
I started liking old games when my brother downloaded My Boy! GBA Emulator, then only played in that emulator. After that, I got my computer and downloaded the GBA ROMs. Then I entered the world of emulation and romhacking, and I ended up getting to know the site of PO.B.R.E. (Brazilian Portal of Romhacking and Emulation). Then I started downloading ROMs from other systems. Then I started to want to translate and ended up here.

moneyspider_todd

• View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: March 25, 2019, 10:50:15 am »
Hello! moneyspider_todd here. I'm a videogame/figure/vcr movies collector. My speciality are the fighting games, specially all related to SNES and/or Street Fighter.

Greetings!

SaveState

• I hack GBA, NES, and sometimes GBC
    • View Profile
    • SaveState's ROM Hacking Site
« Reply #1187 on: March 26, 2019, 05:40:49 pm »
Howdy! I'm SaveState!
I am a very well-balanced fellow, in terms of my achievements so far in life.
I became an Eagle Scout just before turning 14, I am a former gymnast (can do flips), I go to an IB high school, I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day saints (aka a Mormon), and I'm a video game enthusiast!

My ROM Hacking "career" started about 4 years ago, not long after someone introduced me to emulation. Back then, I just did simple little hacks of Pokemon Fire Red, and tried making some large-scale ones, all of which died eventually :'(.
Then, about 2 years ago, I got into the Super Mario Bros. hacking scene, starting my big (currently live) project, Super Rex Dash.
Recently, I started my Pokemon Diamond NES translation, and also got into NES assembly, the latter of which I am not the best at :P.

I absolutely love this site! It is so friendly, and I feel right at home here!

ddw_1978

• View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: March 30, 2019, 01:48:54 am »
Greetings, everyone!

I'm a creative-minded individual (mostly with pencil & paper) and an old-school gamer so I love to see new twists on my favorite games. I know nothing about hacking, but I've been certainly been playing hacks long enough and I appreciate the time, effort and love that go into them.

Huber

• View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: April 06, 2019, 03:12:10 am »
Hi.

Name's Huber. I'm just a typical "RPGs, Platformers, Shooters, Beat em Ups..."-gamer. Especially into NES at the moment. No romhacking skills at all so far. Very grateful for this page. Thank you to all the creators, contributors and supporters.

Super excited to explore all the good stuff here! Greetings

Dasha-Supa

• View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: April 10, 2019, 01:41:55 pm »
Hello,

Not much to say about myself. I am casual NES & SNES fan. I really appreciate all the translation and improvement hacks made by this community. All the hard work put into these hacks has made revising the classics a fun time.

Thanks!

Sakura Sumisu

• View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: April 11, 2019, 12:40:33 pm »
Hey everybody, my name here is Sakura Sumisu. Nice to meet you all  :)

What made me want to join here is that I want to translate most of it into english, Hatsune Miku Project Diva 2nd# for my PSP. I really just want it in english like the first 2nd is that you can get here http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2641/. I don't need it near 100% like the 1st & extend Project Diva is. I just want the menus, lists (songs, modules, items, titles, etc.), descriptions, messages, and lyrics in english. Wish me luck, and if anyone can please help  ;)

DanielFA

• View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: April 22, 2019, 08:34:16 am »
Hi!

My name is Daniel and I'm glad to meet you all. I started doing simple SMB1/2J/3 cheats and hacks last year and now I'm trying to make my way into 6502 assembly. My main projects are the restyling of SMB2J and SMB3 into SMB1 1985 look (only a matter of personal -weird- taste) and my own platformer. Just discovered a month ago the famous disassemblies from doppelganger and southbird so decided to learn programming for the NES to understand them following some tutorials and documents from this and other sites. A week ago I made my first walking sprite (a cat) with animated feet and it makes me feel really happy! However, I'll need some help from you...

:)

Cupcom5/NGKFlower

• View Profile
    • Youtube Page
« Reply #1193 on: April 25, 2019, 02:55:06 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm Cupcom5/NGKFlower, I'm a composer, artist and animator. I'm an old school gamer by emulations and my old consoles I still have in my room collected in dust. lol

I've always wanted to join a hacking community to put my animations to use, but I just suck at programming. although I'm good at basic math, Algebra and up were my downfalls, also from my research, Programming has LOTS of numbers involved. :/

Another thing is I'm not utterly used to the whole social community stuff like forums and all, I used to back in high school, but I guess I'm just a little nervous. :O

I still want to learn though! I'm hoping that I could learn as much as I can from the professionals here and make some new online friends as well.

Thanks for giving me the chance to be on this site. :)

Take care of yourselves.
It happens. :/

StarFighters76

• View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: April 28, 2019, 01:45:40 pm »
I apologize if I did not make this post before, I don't really keep track lol. But with that out of the way, I can begin.

First time (possible) poster, long time lurker and ROM snatcher lol. StarFighters76 here, and I'm not sure if my name is familiar to a lot of you, but in case it's not, I am the one who has made a few game maps here and there (right now just over 2,800 maps).

In the last several years that I decided to start doing maps for Japanese games, I came here to learn about how to patch English translation files to the ROMs and such (still have much to learn). And because of that, I have been able to map several dozens of Japanese games. I have to say I am grateful for this active site, and I must thank you all for being able to do this, because if it wasn't for the lot of you, I wouldn't have gotten to where I am now with my mapping count. So I hope you guys continue to do translation patches, because it's always interesting to see what pops up. :)

Platinum Lucario

• View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: May 03, 2019, 04:23:43 am »
Hello everyone! I'm Davin, a ROM hacker and researcher who often researches data in Nintendo DS games and other consoles as well.

I've only just registered today, not sure exactly why I haven't registered years ago, but I'm now registered.

I also enjoy talking to people as well, so if you ever want to talk about anything, I'm always around.

It's really nice to meet you all!

Cupcom5/NGKFlower

• View Profile
    • Youtube Page
« Reply #1196 on: May 07, 2019, 01:26:11 am »
Hello everyone! I'm Davin, a ROM hacker and researcher who often researches data in Nintendo DS games and other consoles as well.

I've only just registered today, not sure exactly why I haven't registered years ago, but I'm now registered.

I also enjoy talking to people as well, so if you ever want to talk about anything, I'm always around.

It's really nice to meet you all!

Hey, Nice to meet you! I'm kind of new here as well, but i've been trying to learn all I can about hacking/programing.
It happens. :/

Badseed

• View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: May 07, 2019, 05:51:07 pm »
Hello all
I'm a 46 year old life long gamer that still remembers gaming before video games.
Light guns on tin can alley anyone? I think my first console was the vectrex with the crappy on screen overlays and the annoying speaker interference hum,I haven't looked back since then.At some point I probably owned every console, except the snes (I know insert boos here) What can I say I was a Sega fanboy. The Dreamcast is my favourite console of all time. I spend my free time playing all sorts of RPGs, with all the ongoing ones I am doing now God knows if I'll ever finish one.
I have been into emulation for some years now, I was sad to see Emuparadise go but I am incredibly happy I found this site. I don't have much hacking skills but I hope to contribute in some small way. (And play more quirky Japanese language RPGs, who knew what I was missing)
"Now is the happening of Plan B!! Time for max-strength spray! Your brains will be washed with 99.9% effectiveness!"

A.W. Laris Borromeo

• View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: May 08, 2019, 09:53:43 am »
Yo Romhackers and Hackerettes!
My name is Anais but call me Laris. a 39 year old who wants to learn to hack.
I'm a newbie who doesnt know about romhacking, but I am going to learn them.
As anyone might suggest Laris Borromeo is actually a nickname. I wanted to translated all those obscure Japanese PS1 games because of the Ultra Healthy Video Game Nerd, I recently watched his videos about those games and think "what if I get these games translated", that's is my duty to do those. I hope my future in Romhacking becomes bright and become popular someday. Thank you.
I believe the morning sun, always gonna shine again.

okonomiyaki

• 日本語を勉強しています
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: May 10, 2019, 08:25:07 am »
Hey all!

The name's okonomiyaki! I'm a 21-year-old university student studying Japanese and Communication. I'm a huge fan of JRPGs (with my favorites including Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy X) and the occasional MMORPG (currently subbed to FFXI and looking forward to FFXIV's Shadowbringer expansion!). As you can imagine, I've spent my fair share of time rooting around through untranslated games. Language, particularly East Asian language (Chinese and Korean are on my list of languages to learn, too), is incredibly intriguing and I would like to apply my passion for learning Japanese into using Japanese for fan translations. I figure that there are probably plenty of people looking to play the same games I've found before, and as translation is the field I want to get into, it's a sort of win-win scenario! I gain experience translating media I am personally interested in and I open up the potential for people, including myself, to play games that were never released in English.

I hope to prove myself a capable and valuable addition to the community. Thank you for taking the time to read my introduction!