News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Introduction Topic  (Read 449594 times)

DrewUniverse

• View Profile
Greetings!
« Reply #1160 on: January 06, 2019, 11:12:17 am »
My name is Drew. I am entering the romhacking space in an effort to personally tinker with some of my favorite video games. I have browsed casually for a few years now, and I felt it was time to experiment directly as there are seldom any mods for some of the games I enjoy. Why not give it a try and expand my knowledge? This work also fits with my interest as a general researcher!

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
Re: Introduction Topic
« Reply #1161 on: January 06, 2019, 08:47:41 pm »
What's up man?

You'll find alotta useful stuff here, as for me I love playing with level editors.

The crew here is pretty laid back, and don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. ;)

Nephelometry

• View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: January 07, 2019, 10:22:13 am »
Hello to all of you.. i am new here and want to know about these forums as a learner

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• Wait, this isn't Burger King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: January 08, 2019, 02:08:16 pm »
Alrighty then.

I'm Dan, a 16 year-old who likes video games and ROM hacking. While I'm not always working on it due to life and whatnot, I like spending some of my free time working on a few side projects here and there. I'm not completely new to the ROM hacking scene, but I have recently started to release and showcase some of my hacks and ideas recently. I mainly do NES ROM hacks, since the limitations not only offer me a good challenge to see what I can do with the limited space, but also make me feel less overwhelmed on what to do. I'm typically a nice guy who likes to argue and discuss a lot. I hope that I can contribute to the site with some of my hacks.
Hey there

bge

• View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: January 13, 2019, 10:11:17 pm »
Hello,

My nickname is BGE, I'm an old (40something) coot who decided to translate Phantasy Star IV in French so my daughter would stop pestering me about it.

That's pretty much my only claim to ROM hacking/translating fame, and the only reason I dared to do it is because lory1990 had disassembled the code, and galletteuh helped me fix embarrassing typos.

Of course to have had the idea of doing such work implies that I knew such a thing existed, which means that I have lurked on romhacking.net a little bit, but it was mostly to find translations.

I don't know if my schedule will let me take on new projects in the future (and it's not like I'm 100% finished with the translation, there's some technical nits I still want to fix) but I must say I did find it an interesting intellectual challenge. And I do love those older RPGs, I feel like they struck the right balance of being engaging enough without eating up all your spare time (Mass Effect, I'm looking at you now...)

By day I'm a software developer writing corporate web sites in Java. I like that but much of the challenge is figuring out what dependency is conking out or what stupid XML file has a typo in it. Retro systems are a nice change of pace, where the hard parts are very different (especially when writing raw assembly!)

Oh, and if anyone wants to talk about Tangerine Dream music or mechanical keyboards I'll gladly waste your time ranting about either subject.

Anyway, hello, everyone :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 10:17:55 pm by bge »

nejimakipiyo

• View Profile
    • Demon Passion
« Reply #1165 on: January 26, 2019, 01:03:17 pm »
Hello everyone!

I'm nejimakipiyo, or you can call me Sparrow. I recently became very invested in rom editing when Chicken Knife ambushed me on a Facebook group after I made a remark about translating Japanese, so he could pepper me with questions about his Dragon Quest Delocalized project. As it happens, I'm a language nerd and a Dragon Quest nerd, so I was quite happy to join his party and help him sort out all of the nitpicky bits of Japanese he was struggling with. :P

As for myself, I'm a university graduate who majored in Biology and minored in Linguistics. I am a total animal lover and currently live with 14 pets. I've been in a constant state of learning Japanese for over a decade and that's probably my strong point here. I've also been translating from Japanese to English (as a hobby, and more recently as a freelance side job) for the better part of that decade. Most of my translation activity has been in band-related content but branching out into video game content is fun so far!

Other than Dragon Quest, my favourite game series are Arc The Lad, Neverwinter Nights, Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja, Dragon Age, (older) Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda, among others.

That's about it for my introduction. Nice to meet you!
I am being the real demon king, you fools!

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: January 26, 2019, 02:11:25 pm »
Welcome guys! It's always a pleasure to see this community grow with new talented individuals.

Moonco

• View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: January 27, 2019, 02:21:42 pm »
Hi, nice to meet everyone :). My name is Anna and I joined to learn more about romhacking

Jappachai

• View Profile
I just want to introduce myself
« Reply #1168 on: January 28, 2019, 03:27:34 pm »
I'm a long time fan first time forum poster. I love everything that's being done here on romhacking.net and wanted to let everyone know I appreciate all their work. I have a twitch stream. My name is Jappachai and I've been enjoying these hacks for years and I want to pay back the community for all of the entertainment that they've afforded me. Let's get in touch and see what we can do together.

ScissorsBeatsKonan

• View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: February 02, 2019, 01:13:03 pm »
Came here to recruit for some projects or form a team if anyone is dedicated enough. I've been learning Japanese for a little more than three years and have become adequately skilled, I hope to pass the JLPT N1 before the year ends. I came here to find hackers that want to help me increase audiences of untranslated games, I have a few I want to translate but still open to ideas.

Remusnjh

• View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: February 07, 2019, 07:29:15 pm »
Hello, made an account here just so i could learn to translate 1 game. If anyone knows how to change the language of the Japanese version of Persona 1 on PSX, hit me up.

TA_Marcos_Translations

• FIFA 20, the BEST 16 bits soccer game!
    • View Profile
    • Ebay Seller Profile
« Reply #1171 on: February 09, 2019, 05:24:11 pm »
Hi all,

I am new here in the forum.

I have made a Super Monaco GP romhack in Spanish 100%. I have edited colors and have changed a few stuff also (driver's name, team names, countries' names...)
I'm just wondering when I upload my rom... Should I keep it in "Translations" or "Romhacks"? And, how long does it take to appear my name in the author box before publishing?

Best,

TA Marcos Translations©
TA Marcos Translations, working professionally since 2015.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: February 09, 2019, 06:52:35 pm »
"ROM Hack", but don't upload the full ROM. Please make a patch file, such as with using the utilties here, and upload that.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

TA_Marcos_Translations

• FIFA 20, the BEST 16 bits soccer game!
    • View Profile
    • Ebay Seller Profile
« Reply #1173 on: February 10, 2019, 08:25:10 am »
"ROM Hack", but don't upload the full ROM. Please make a patch file, such as with using the utilties here, and upload that.

Got it. Thank you King Mike! :thumbsup:

February 14, 2019, 07:08:21 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
How long does it take to appear in the Author Box?

Best,

TA Marcos Translations©
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 07:08:21 am by TA_Marcos_Translations »
TA Marcos Translations, working professionally since 2015.

GrayestOdin

• View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: February 14, 2019, 08:51:51 pm »
Greetings. My name is James, and I have been looking forward to the various Unlock Patches of the Bomberman series. You know, the recently released Super Bomberman unlock patches.

There's only one problem, the Super Bomberman 2 patch is for the American version, whilst I use the Japanese Version of the games (the "Bomber Man" series, with a space since it's how the game is labeled in No-Intro.)

I implore the hack's delveloper to make a version for the Japanese version of the game because I tried it on the Rom I use but it didn't unlock the stages. But I hope that I can be the best I can possibly be. I vow to abide by all the rules, to be fair and to treat everybody as if they were me.

Wingcapman

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #1175 on: February 18, 2019, 02:22:49 pm »
Hey hello everyone!
I'm Wingcapman and I've been modifying a few games for years and playing a great amount of modified/hacked games, but surprisingly I never really made an account here. So time to change that. :P

Recently I've been working on a Super Mario Bros. rom hack and decided to submit it here soon (or whenever I actually feel like it's ready to share). Same goes with other silly projects.

I'm also an artist, a curious one at that. So you might get a chance to see some graphical works from me at this place some day.

Also, before I end my saying, thank you very much for having such a big community over here. I've seen a lot of really nice things passing by and I'm glad I could try out a lot of stuff that were submitted by several other people. Keep up the great work and keep growing!  :)
Don't be discouraged when seeing me around, feel free to contact me whenever you feel like it.

ahNESdiha

• View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: February 19, 2019, 03:26:01 pm »
Hey, everyone. I'm ahNESdiha.

I've always liked games and I've been trying to learn ᏣᎳᎩ (Tsa-la-gi), the Cherokee language and I came across a font someone on this site made a couple of years ago and I thought 'why not?' so while I'm learning the language I'll try to make translations for some games too. Probably won't be anything complex unless I found a team but for some simple platformers and classics I really like? Sure.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 09:18:51 pm by ahNESdiha »

Final Boss

• View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: February 26, 2019, 08:17:50 pm »
Hello, community!

I am here to announce my prescence, as well as involve myself personally in the romhacking community!  :thumbsup:

I'm here to learn as much as I'm here to contribute, so I'll do my best, but keep in mind that my focus has always been playing games rather than programming, though I have made contributions consisting of design features later implemented into gameplay as well as various custom-drawn spritework of my own design.

I hope to be a positive influence on the community as well as helpful, as I try something new today and join this very site I've been consistently frequenting for coming up on 20 years.

Thank you all for hosting this amazing website that has provided hundreds upon thousands of romhacks I've thoroughly enjoyed finishing thoroughly.  8)

Everis

• View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: March 01, 2019, 09:32:08 pm »
Hey all, you can call me Everis and I plan to become a professional game designer in a few years. Going into computer science, I understand most of the fundamentals, but I'm trying to stumble my way through a translation hack and it's making my head spin! I also figure it would be cool to learn more about how old games were programmed and packed, and this is one of the best places to learn that. I'm looking forward to this!  :)

Blue Bushi

• View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: March 01, 2019, 09:32:38 pm »
Hello all!  :)

I am interested in translating a SNES rom from Japanese to English. I've been trying to follow the getting started guide, as well as The Definitive Guide to ROM Hacking for Complete Beginners.

Everything seems to be for Windows. I'm trying to figure out Mac equivalents for TaBuLar and other tools, or if they're at least usable in Wine (and with what requirements).

I know I can just use Xcode for hex editing, and I read somewhere that Tile Layer Pro can work with Wine.