News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Sega Saturn Castlevania Symphony of th Night Translation.  (Read 79986 times)

kof888

• View Profile
Re: Sega Saturn Castlevania Symphony of th Night Translation.
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2020, 10:02:33 pm »
The approximate content is like this

But you have to know the value of r0 in advance, which is the length of the compressed data

Code: [Select]
void Decode() /* Just the reverse of Encode(). */
{
int  i, j, k, r, c,r1=0;
unsigned int  flags;

for (i = 0; i < 0x3dd; i++) text_buf[i] = 0;
r = 0x3de;  flags = 0;

for ( ; ; )
{
if(r0==r1)break;

if (((flags >>= 1) & 0x100) == 0)
{
c = fgetc(infile);
flags = c | 0xff00;
r1++;

}

if (flags & 1)
{
c = fgetc(infile);r1++;
putc(c, outfile);  text_buf[r++] = c;  r &= 0x3ff;
}

else
{
i = fgetc(infile);r1++;
j = fgetc(infile);r1++;

i |= ((j & 0xe0) << 3); 
j = (j & 0x1f) + 2;
for (k = 0; k <= j; k++)
{
c = text_buf[(i + k) & 0x3ff ];
putc(c, outfile);  text_buf[r++] = c;   r &= 0x3ff;
}
}
}
}

But a picture of the 4MB version is not this decompression

Ardiloso

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2020, 11:04:20 am »
The approximate content is like this

But you have to know the value of r0 in advance, which is the length of the compressed data

Code: [Select]
void Decode() /* Just the reverse of Encode(). */
{
int  i, j, k, r, c,r1=0;
unsigned int  flags;

for (i = 0; i < 0x3dd; i++) text_buf[i] = 0;
r = 0x3de;  flags = 0;

for ( ; ; )
{
if(r0==r1)break;

if (((flags >>= 1) & 0x100) == 0)
{
c = fgetc(infile);
flags = c | 0xff00;
r1++;

}

if (flags & 1)
{
c = fgetc(infile);r1++;
putc(c, outfile);  text_buf[r++] = c;  r &= 0x3ff;
}

else
{
i = fgetc(infile);r1++;
j = fgetc(infile);r1++;

i |= ((j & 0xe0) << 3); 
j = (j & 0x1f) + 2;
for (k = 0; k <= j; k++)
{
c = text_buf[(i + k) & 0x3ff ];
putc(c, outfile);  text_buf[r++] = c;   r &= 0x3ff;
}
}
}
}

But a picture of the 4MB version is not this decompression
Hey, are you YZB?
I've tested your latest revision with improved load times and no "Now Loading" message. It's really good, thanks for your work, the differences are immediatly noticeable and the "Easy Inputs Maria" is so fun and dynamic to play, very clever solution you got here. I really hope Aterbust can work with your hacked version since it's the definitive on the saturn.
I'm wondering if it's possible to make the Librarian room a permanent resident on the 4 MB cart? Even with the improved loadings, that room is still a pain to enter.

Anyway, I've encountered some audio issues. Maybe it's a burning issue? I've found many bugs (most are missing SFX), can you confirm if it's on my end?

- playing with Maria, when you arrive in the Clock Room, you hear a corrupted sound instead of the "tics" (I didn't reach this room with Alucard and Richter)
- playing with anyone, the elevator in the Outer Wall makes no sound and it's door makes a weird sound when oppening and closing itself.
- When getting the HP Max UP item after beating a boss, there's no sound.
- After the ending CGI, there's a black screen.

UPDATE: I managed to play it with Mednafen and all the issues above persist, so it is with this build. Many others sound effects and enemy voices are missing too.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 01:59:53 am by Ardiloso »

kof888

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2020, 09:07:57 am »
The sound problem is because the sound is also skipped when skipping the word nowload

The new version has been updated today, and the sound of nowload is restored to normal.

The library has often resided in the memory of the 4M card. The time you wait is to decompress those files, so I said that the ss cpu is too slow

-After the ending CGI, there's a black screen.
Is this the same for everyone?
Is there any video you can watch?

Ardiloso

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2020, 03:48:05 pm »
The sound problem is because the sound is also skipped when skipping the word nowload

The new version has been updated today, and the sound of nowload is restored to normal.

The library has often resided in the memory of the 4M card. The time you wait is to decompress those files, so I said that the ss cpu is too slow

-After the ending CGI, there's a black screen.
Is this the same for everyone?
Is there any video you can watch?
Great. I will try your new version tonight and will report back.

Edit: Already tested it. Everything is fine now. I have two questions:
1 - So, it's impossible to delete the "Now Loading" because it causes sfx missing?
2 - SSF R16 does not run any of your 4MB hacks. Yaba-Sanshiro/Cronos and Mednafen run fine. What could be causing this? SSF just crashes when trying to.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 12:45:50 am by Ardiloso »

kof888

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2020, 10:06:13 am »
1 because some sfx will be loaded at the same time

2 I don't know this question

Ardiloso

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2020, 10:55:35 am »
1 because some sfx will be loaded at the same time

2 I don't know this question
I guess Shima has to update his 4 MB implementation. I've sent him a message on twitter, hope he reads lol.
Something about Saturn Dracula X bothers me and no one ever talks about it: Alucard's shadows behave differently than on the PS1. On the PS1, they vanish a few seconds after you start walking. On the Saturn, they never ever vanish. This can cause further slowdowns on locations like the Library (when you get cursed there, the shadows won't appear and you have less slowdowns). Do you think it is possible to fix they?
Maybe they have it on all the time because it would be jarring to have slowdowns everytime you start walking till they vanish, so better have slowdowns all the time LOL?

TrekkiesUnite118

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 19, 2020, 12:46:52 am »

Is this new compression you guys added or something the game was already doing?

FityP

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2020, 10:07:10 pm »
Is there any update to this?  For all of the issues with the Saturn version's performance, I actually want to play this version as my first time. I wouldnt even know where to begin, but if there is something I can do to help, I am 100% on board. 

modsbox

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2020, 10:24:22 am »
Just to echo the above, I'm also very much looking forward to trying an english translation of this classic. And honestly a translation with just the items in english would be a tremendous improvement. I've played through the game countless times but the japanese item list is tricky to work with.

Happy to test any works-in-progress that may be available. I have a Phoebe installed in my Japanese Saturn so I can easily test on real hardware without having to burn anything.

Also since I've looked into doing this translation myself a number of times I've gotten comfortable at rebuilding working saturn isos from modified files. So if that's a hurdle anyone on the project is dealing with you could share over updated files for the iso and I could help rebuild them into working iso images.

AlexKerscher

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2020, 02:52:25 pm »
Hello Gentlemen!

So, I registered specifically because I saw this thread, although I've lurked on the website for a decade already.

First and foremost, congratulations with all the progress you guys have done. This game absolutely deserves a English localisation, and if improvements can be done that'd make it even more precious, it could be the definitive way of enjoying the game.

I would also like to offer help with the translation. I do not speak any Japanese but there is a Portuguese translation for this game circulating online for a while now and I could translate the text from the Portuguese translation to English with ease. I have like a decade of experience translating RPG books and comic books from English to Portuguese and would love to participate in this project if I could be of any use to it. I am also a experienced programmer (my dayjob is being a Mobile Developer) and with some training could help with the coding bits of the game.

I have also been trying to make contact with the guy who made the Portuguese patch but I haven't been able to get a response from him so far. Fingers crossed here that he'll eventually pick one message up.

If you guys are interested in my help just e-mail/DM me through this profile, it's open for user emails.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2020, 10:09:13 am »
Maybe you should consider changing the 3rd hand option and replace it with the map button.

Ziggy587

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 10, 2020, 04:03:38 pm »
A big thanks to everyone that is working on improving and translating this game! A lot of people like to bash the Saturn port because it has some problems, but I think it's still absolutely worth playing because of the content unique to this version. Thanks a ton to the people that are working to translate it, it would be fantastic to play this in English one day.

As for the 4MB cart hack by YZB, it seems that the download link for the patch is down. Any chance on getting it uploaded to romhacking.net?

Ardiloso

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2020, 05:44:57 pm »
A big thanks to everyone that is working on improving and translating this game! A lot of people like to bash the Saturn port because it has some problems, but I think it's still absolutely worth playing because of the content unique to this version. Thanks a ton to the people that are working to translate it, it would be fantastic to play this in English one day.

As for the 4MB cart hack by YZB, it seems that the download link for the patch is down. Any chance on getting it uploaded to romhacking.net?
Go to segaxtreme. I keep a thread with the updated hacks there.

Ziggy587

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2020, 11:24:21 am »
Go to segaxtreme. I keep a thread with the updated hacks there.

Thank you!

FeRcHuLeS

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2020, 04:40:56 pm »
Where is this going??, this is a full of mystery thread, I think you should release a patch for beta testing, and ask you for something, please kept the japanese title colors to preserve identity to make yourself notice everytime you play "Ohh I'm playing a different version, I'm playing Sega Saturn Castlevania Symphony of the Night".

lillith9910

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 01, 2020, 09:55:18 am »
Im with ziggy on this. Even in alpha stage Id love to try it out. Also if its in enough peoples hands maybe someone else will update the hack in their own time.

LordChugga0921

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2020, 07:22:08 pm »
hey is this still going on BTW i would love to play this and how much is done on this