News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: how to add font ps1 games ?  (Read 213 times)

khar11

• View Profile
how to add font ps1 games ?
« on: September 10, 2020, 07:17:21 pm »
guys how to add font ps1 games ?

please help

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: how to add font ps1 games ?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 10:24:07 pm »
I assume you want to add characters to a font rather than add a whole font to a game.

You do it the same way as you do it on any system.

Find the existing font (and associated encoding and text, or at least have a reasonable understanding of it)
Figure out the graphical and file level format of the font (various options for how fonts work, more later)
Edit (often easier) or add to (often harder but if you have many extra characters then maybe the better choice) as your desires and the demands of the project call for.
Edit table file for your text, type/edit text accordingly.

The PS1 has some shared formats between some developers but nothing resembling a common one shared by many or most games on a system. If it is a popular game (say a Square (Enix) title) then maybe something has already been done.
I imagine the PS1 will still be with bitmap fonts (Windows of a similar timeframe had long been shifting away from that to vector but TTF or bitmap was still a thing there) but you might get lucky and have an in file software defined font rather than the harder limits of the older consoles where it is baked into the program (or hardware) itself, or you might not.
As mentioned most find it easier to edit an existing font than add to it, save in those cases where it is in file software defined and even then editing might still be easier. I don't know what language or symbols you want but presumably not normal English characters. If it is just a few then you can often overwrite some unused punctuation or do other fun things like dual tile encoding and dual characters on tiles (combine ll sort of thing). Otherwise many will opt to use the Japanese game as a base -- Japanese might well have hundreds of characters needed for a game (see Kanji) and thus usually has any number of options here, might also have a bigger script to play with but we can skip that one for now.
Fonts can have many different things associated with them and approaches to them. Generally it will either be everything is a fixed size, everything is a fixed size in the file but there are a list of widths, and everything is sized according to how big it is (makes it a pig to view and edit in a tile viewer) and there is a list of widths somewhere for each character (which you will have to edit if your new character is a different width). I doubt you will have line height values (think j y g f and the like) but I have been surprised in the past.

khar11

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 05:11:58 am »
thanks . sir  i have  found somthing https://ibb.co/jL3k34Q    (game : Mortal Kombat Mythologies Sub-Zero)

now how to find graphical and file level format of the font  ???

and how to edit it

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 12:41:35 pm »
Looking at that image and various points in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7FUCEteb4c
Looks like two very different fonts to me at most points in the game (not the intro, not the loading screen tip, not the combo counter, not the checkpoint, maybe not the inventory menu.

Not sure what you found there then. If that does what you want then it looks like you found the file itself and have some idea of the graphics format used (if it displays accurately like that then you have an idea of what it should be). If you want to overwrite then great (you have a bunch of symbols there at the time, not sure how many times you will need # in this game, nor *), if you need to add more then now you get to figure out about the rest of the file format. In the image there the rest of the file appears to be gibberish, that "gibberish" might well contain something important for the font format though, or might not but you probably want to know.