News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Controllers  (Read 14190 times)

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
Re: Controllers
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 10:17:32 pm »
Some companies (Capcom) and some series (SMT/Metal Gear) make brilliant use of feedback, and if you've never played these series with the option enabled, I say you should give it a whirl some time.

As for controllers, I've always found the SNES controller and its variants to be too small. I grew up a Sega kid, so it could be partly bias.

Then you haven't seen Saturn owners with large hands. That's been an issue the fan community has never found a widely accepted solution to.
The early American controller has too many problems, 3D controller has strange ergonomics closer to Dreamcast.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 09:31:22 am »
*walks in to say* I liked the N64 controllers. Most devs didn't know how to use it. T'was a SNES controller with an analog stick a repurposed select button (into a Z button that got used for much more than select ever did or will be used for).

*walks away knowing no will agree*
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 11:04:59 am »
I think, just in terms of pure digital functionality, it's a tie between the SNES and the Saturn.  tc mentioned the 3D controller, and it's good as well, especially for folks that have pretty large hands.  I find it very comfortable.

If we're talking current-style systems, my favorite has actually become the 360 pad.  The layout is not an issue, I can deal with the Dual Shock or the 360 analog configuration.  It's more the feel of the analog.  The 360 controllers offer up a bit more resistance, and as such, I'm able to be a lot more precise than with a Dual Shock.  The d-pad does suck, but I've gotten used to it, and it's never quite as bad as folks make it out to be.  Heck, I've managed to beat SF IV on the highest difficulty with multiple characters with it, mostly without a hitch.  I'd prefer better, of course, but it works well enough.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 11:14:44 am »
Looking back on my original post, I wasn't very clear about what controller is my overall favorite.  So let me just say it's the DualShock, specifically the PS2 version.  To be even more specific, this version of the PS2 DualShock.  Something about that particular color's plastic feels more "dry" in my hands then any of the other stock colors.  It doesn't make my hands sweat as much for some reason.  Yes I get sweaty gamer hands.  They get so sweaty I keep a white cotton shirt with me while I'm playing to wipe them off with.  I've also taken to having a small portable fan blowing on my hands while I play... that seems to keep them cool and they hardly sweat at all.  I know this is a weird thing to admit on a gaming forum, but apparently we're not talking about anything else lately.

granz

• View Profile
    • granz' corner
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 01:42:07 pm »
To be even more specific, this version of the PS2 DualShock.  Something about that particular color's plastic feels more "dry" in my hands then any of the other stock colors.  It doesn't make my hands sweat as much for some reason.  Yes I get sweaty gamer hands.  They get so sweaty I keep a white cotton shirt with me while I'm playing to wipe them off with.  I've also taken to having a small portable fan blowing on my hands while I play... that seems to keep them cool and they hardly sweat at all.

My hands get cold and eventually go numb. I guess my circulation sucks.

Still, I put rubber grips on all of my controllers, like so:
Spoiler:

Maybe that would keep them from sliding out of your hands. I think they feel a bit more comfortable, plus they protect the controllers from grime and dust.

I know this is a weird thing to admit on a gaming forum, but apparently we're not talking about anything else lately.

Weirder than several pages of discussion on body hair and manscaping?
I'm no longer active on RHDN, but I keep coming back to troll, whee!

Kamikaze_Ice

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 07:35:28 pm »
Looking back on my original post, I wasn't very clear about what controller is my overall favorite.  So let me just say it's the DualShock, specifically the PS2 version.  To be even more specific, this version of the PS2 DualShock.  Something about that particular color's plastic feels more "dry" in my hands then any of the other stock colors.  It doesn't make my hands sweat as much for some reason.  Yes I get sweaty gamer hands.  They get so sweaty I keep a white cotton shirt with me while I'm playing to wipe them off with.  I've also taken to having a small portable fan blowing on my hands while I play... that seems to keep them cool and they hardly sweat at all.  I know this is a weird thing to admit on a gaming forum, but apparently we're not talking about anything else lately.

I was going to mention my sweaty hands after stating how I hold a controler, but after typing it felt weird and hit delete. At least I'm not the only one. I got around the issue for the most part on how i hold controllers. Take a playstation (any kind will do), the bottom screw hole is where I curl, not extend, my pinky and rest the controller on top of em only really gripping the controler with my ring fingers. I got tired of getting sweaty hands while trying to eat cheetoes (the paw shaped cheetoes!) while playing battletoads years ago on my NES. Deciding between playing a game or cheetoes fingers was very hard at that age. *queue Doritos commercial like this*

Although I didn't choose the game option, nor realize I could just not hold a controller so tightly, until I got into FFTactics/Resident Evil.

I tried to think of some witty, funny saying or joke to tie your name and sweaty hands together but I give up, bronchitus meds kicking in now, gonna go sleep.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 08:38:57 pm »
I got tired of getting sweaty hands while trying to eat cheetoes (the paw shaped cheetoes!) while playing battletoads years ago on my NES. Deciding between playing a game or cheetoes fingers was very hard at that age. *queue Doritos commercial like this*

I tried to think of some witty, funny saying or joke to tie your name and sweaty hands together but I give up, bronchitus meds kicking in now, gonna go sleep.

I don't know about everyone else, but I think this fellow right here is pretty awesome! I also used to suffer from sweaty controller hands, and I've seen controllers literally lose paint over the years. It went away as I got older, now it only happens when I'm playing something competitive online, or the tension's extremely high.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2013, 08:02:24 pm »
I absolutely hate the GameCube controller. In fact, I often use a PS2-to-GC adapter so I can play my GC games with a PS1/2 controller. My main gripe is the analog sensitivity. It's hard just to navigate the menus in Super Smash Bros. Melee. I have to move the A.I. difficulty slider back and forth about 20 times to try and position it on the right number, because the analog is so sensitive that it slides to the extreme left or right with even the slightest touch.

do you handle your GC controller like a gorilla? never had this problem, GC pad is my favorite controller verbatim, it's not without its problems (gimp dpad and gimp c stick, neither of which I ever use)
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 12:15:14 pm »
I know it's small, but am I the only one that really doesn't have much problem with the GC d-pad?  Maybe I'm just used to smaller ones.  Dunno.  I'd like it to be a bit larger, but it still works.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

fairdenizen

• America's Individuality
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 12:41:32 pm »
Coming from a fighting game fan who prefers a pad and has been playing since the SNES days.

Best controller is MadCatz fight pads that Capcom published.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&q=madcatz+fightpad&oq=madcatz+fightpad&gs_l=serp.3..0l10.431896.434462.0.434558.16.14.0.2.2.0.446.2032.4j8j1j0j1.14.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.XaJkvIzQkRg&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.&bvm=bv.41642243,d.aWM&fp=bcc188cadcd9cf4b&biw=1084&bih=493

It's basically a Saturn controller with an even better d-pad. Unfortunately, if you get into this type of controller, look forward to replacing it every 4 months to a year. they also will hook into a computer so you can do your emulating/maming with it. Sorry, no analog stick.

Worst d-pads I can remember is 360 before they changed them, and the dreamcast, forever.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 12:56:57 pm »
Worst d-pads I can remember is 360 before they changed them, and the dreamcast, forever.
Well, that cinches it.  I am weird.  I'm actually really good on a Dreamcast d-pad.  The hours I put in on MvC2 and CvS2 cannot be counted.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2013, 01:00:58 pm »
The best Dreamcast fighter pad I've used was this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000K13E/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

You can still get them new pretty cheap too.

It gets mixed reviews but it worked for me.  There's probably better stuff out there but I'm sure it costs a lot more also.

Nec5

• It was fun until humorlessness won out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2013, 04:38:03 pm »
I know it's small, but am I the only one that really doesn't have much problem with the GC d-pad?  Maybe I'm just used to smaller ones.  Dunno.  I'd like it to be a bit larger, but it still works.
Yes, you are the only one :D.  That controller was a solution in search of a problem.  Terrible.
When Reason Fails

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2013, 04:55:30 pm »
As I've said before, the GC d-pad is only good for menus.  I find it utterly useless for anything else because of how small it is, and I don't exactly have huge hands (just sweaty ones for the ladies!).  I will say though that the GameCube controller is comfortable to hold in my hands for long periods of time, as I've discovered while playing Skies Of Arcadia Legends for over three hours last night (stayed up wayyy too late it hurts).

granz

• View Profile
    • granz' corner
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2013, 04:59:15 pm »
do you handle your GC controller like a gorilla?

Yes, I randomly beat on the controller until the little man eventually moves across the screen, then I screech and throw feces at it. What am I doing wrong?!
I'm no longer active on RHDN, but I keep coming back to troll, whee!

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 05:34:47 pm »
Yes, I randomly beat on the controller until the little man eventually moves across the screen, then I screech and throw feces at it. What am I doing wrong?!

How are you getting the feces? Depending on how you do this, the controller may actually malfunction. The reason is that, there is a method that a lot of people seem to use that ends up caking their fingers. When this happens, when they throw the feces, part of it stays in the finger. By extension, the feces then ends up in the controller. As time goes on, the feces builds up to the point where you simply don't have any more friends coming over to play with you and the controller ceases to respond, probably due to cyber-suicide.

If that is your problem, I suggest finding an alternative method of obtaining the feces.

Spoiler:
Okay, now it's time for me to leave work. Yay! BTW, I hope I don't have to actually say this, but joke post.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2013, 05:40:35 pm »
I suspect the reason I don't have much of a problem with the GC d-pad is because it's basically the same one they used with the original GBA.  I put a lot of hours into that piece of hardware.

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2013, 01:14:11 am »

It's not so much the size but how stiff it is and lack of range of motion combined with the indentation of the controller around the +

If the controller surface was flat around the + rather than indented that might help, but the movement still feels still and unresponsive, and not 'pushy' enough.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Kamikaze_Ice

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2013, 10:36:38 pm »
I've been at home, sick, all week. With all this time I just played Ninja Gaiden/Vanquish/Bayonetta/Devil May Cry 1&3. Ended up breaking all three of my controllers, not from raging and chucking/slamming the controllers, but just constant usage and holding buttons. One still works, but it has annoying random presses (select, left dpad, triangle) that change when holding a combination of different buttons.
Went and bought me a new, official Sony DS3.

This new one looks different compared to the others (same model number). Completely opaque matte black finish and a different texture on everything except triggers/sticks. The plastic feels cheaper, and the sticks themselves are just a hair less rounded.

Were the glossy/smooth/slightly translucent controllers replaced with this one during the slim/slim2 revisions?

MegaManJuno

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2013, 12:44:27 am »
Since we rearranged the living room a while back, the PS2 controller's cord forced me to pull up a chair when playing it. I broke down and picked up a Katana a little while ago, so I could stay at the couch. So far, it's been a very worthwhile purchase. I've logged at least a good 40 hours on it so far on the same batteries, so its reported "up to 50 hours" seems legit.