News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Old lady still playing games at 86  (Read 5046 times)

MontyMole

• No fun in the USA.
    • View Profile
Old lady still playing games at 86
« on: January 21, 2013, 12:02:38 pm »
Watching this on the BBC lunchtime news and among all the snow hullabaloo and general misery they had this, an old lady aged 86 playing Disgaea on a massive screen.

I really hope to still be playing when I'm that old.

(Incidentally I hope this clip shows up for you, the BBC is sniffy about TV programmes and stuff playing outside the UK, sort of like the way we can't get stuff on Hulu.)
A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
Re: Old lady still playing games at 86
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 12:09:02 pm »
Interesting, reminds me of this story.

thr

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 12:48:22 pm »
it's been shown that playing video games helps stave off alzheimer's and dementia, and some modern health institutions will utilise this kind of treatment. what's funny, it seems that the health effect is stronger if the patients also smoke weed while undertaking their therapy. ;)

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 09:10:37 pm »
well, weed is known to help neurological pain...

And yeah, both my parents game(Though my dad not nearly as much as my mom). My mom is currently going through Cthulhu Saves The World and Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker. She hasn't been this into RPGs in fuckin' years. Makes me happy.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 10:03:03 pm »
My parents are bewildered by my love of video games, but they are familiar with some of the music, just from having heard me play them over the years.

This piece.
This piece.

Aaand, this piece, of course.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 12:20:04 am »
Maybe not playing games, but we will still be arguing about FFVII when we are 86 years old.

Legions of old mostly-men, peering at 2D screens, smacking at keyboards, while all the young'uns are off running around with their neuro-taps and neo-English and making fun of the old fogies and their endless debates about Aeris and Sephiroth and bringing in their quaint wall scrolls for show and tell.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Merta

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 01:56:23 am »
Maybe not playing games, but we will still be arguing about FFVII when we are 86 years old.

Legions of old mostly-men, peering at 2D screens, smacking at keyboards, while all the young'uns are off running around with their neuro-taps and neo-English and making fun of the old fogies and their endless debates about Aeris and Sephiroth and bringing in their quaint wall scrolls for show and tell.

Sounds like an idea for a screenplay for a futuristic sci-fi movie, maybe a comedy. We would have Shigeru M. cryogenically frozen, like Walt Disney, at the Video Game Hall of Fame. We'll be ranting on about "that's the problem with kids these days, they don't appreciate the simple gameplay over the 5D graphics in the games that they are playing now". We'll have the Siskel and Ebert of video game criticism and every video game release will be accompanied with a party that has a red carpet. By this time, Final Fantasy 77 will be out, along with Super Mario Universe, and there will be motion controls.... in space. Discussion shows will ask "is Zelda a RPG?" and games like Final Fantasy VII will be celebrated as classics, like Intolerance by D.W. Griffith and the Ten Commandments by Cecil DeMille. We'll actually have virtual reality nursing homes with robots that bring us food and dessert.

Every other fabric of my being will be an even greater enigma as by that time, all of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and other bands, artists, moviemakers will be long gone by then. It will be a lonely, frozen world but I will manage. There are even a few reports that our generation will live long enough to see Final Fantasy 88.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 08:35:02 am »
I agree that Jorpho's vision would make a fantastic mocumentary!   :thumbsup:  Also it could say something effectual about the human condition via the dichotomy of old players and new players and the similarities that persist.

And if by some chance eons from now this forum still exists and you guys aren't dead yet I will indeed continue to put FFVII in its place (7/10).   >:D 

Merta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 10:15:57 am »
I agree that Jorpho's vision would make a fantastic mocumentary!   :thumbsup:  Also it could say something effectual about the human condition via the dichotomy of old players and new players and the similarities that persist.

And if by some chance eons from now this forum still exists and you guys aren't dead yet I will indeed continue to put FFVII in its place (7/10).   >:D

I will say that putting FFVII "in its place" is amusing if you are giving it an above average rating, though I would give it a 9/10 so I understand your point and will gladly argue against the score.  Actually what would also be interesting is if one of us, on the forums, actually serves as the ambassador to Japan because of a severe interest in anime and video games coming from that country.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 10:28:07 am »
I will say that putting FFVII "in its place" is amusing if you are giving it an above average rating

Considering must pollyannas will give the game a 10/10 best game ever, even giving it a 7/10 is controversial (around here at least).

if one of us, on the forums, actually serves as the ambassador to Japan because of a severe interest in anime and video games coming from that country.

LostTemplar and GeishaBoy kind of fill that niche.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 07:47:57 pm »
Sounds like an idea for a screenplay for a futuristic sci-fi movie, maybe a comedy. We would have Shigeru M. cryogenically frozen, like Walt Disney, at the Video Game Hall of Fame. We'll be ranting on about "that's the problem with kids these days, they don't appreciate the simple gameplay over the 5D graphics in the games that they are playing now". We'll have the Siskel and Ebert of video game criticism and every video game release will be accompanied with a party that has a red carpet. By this time, Final Fantasy 77 will be out, along with Super Mario Universe, and there will be motion controls.... in space. Discussion shows will ask "is Zelda a RPG?" and games like Final Fantasy VII will be celebrated as classics, like Intolerance by D.W. Griffith and the Ten Commandments by Cecil DeMille. We'll actually have virtual reality nursing homes with robots that bring us food and dessert.
"I know I can have the virtualized consciousness of Uematsu modifying the audio waveform in realtime, OK?  The PSX synth just sounds BETTER!"
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

granz

• View Profile
    • granz' corner
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 07:53:08 pm »
Interesting, reminds me of this story.

Somebody buy her a Super Famicom already. If she's this blown away by the original Bomberman, imagine how she'll feel about the sequels.
I'm no longer active on RHDN, but I keep coming back to troll, whee!

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 08:06:09 pm »
She might go on how they dont kae stuff like before.
_-|-_

Merta

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 12:05:23 am »
Considering must pollyannas will give the game a 10/10 best game ever, even giving it a 7/10 is controversial (around here at least).

I remember the old message board days when so many people hated Final Fantasy VII because they thought that Barrett was a racist caricature, that the graphics were overrated, and that it got so many "newbies" into the RPG genre who only appreciated video games because of graphics not because of gameplay. You wouldn't have been too controversial during those days, there were even a few guys who thought that Xenogears was way overrated, while the same people mentioned earlier thought that it was the divine fruit. I think that it was a great game but I don't know if I would give it a 10/10. I mean what will last longer: FFVII debates or grumpy senior citizens musing about the demise of Final Fantasy and raising their canes at Final Fantasy XIII?

"I know I can have the virtualized consciousness of Uematsu modifying the audio waveform in realtime, OK?  The PSX synth just sounds BETTER!"

OK, I will start out the movie with this line. How do you imagine a gamer nerd would look like in 2074? Maybe Jeff Bridges' great grandson could play the lead role. Oh and if there is one thing for certain, the console war would still leave Nintendo derided as being too "kiddy" for mainstream tastes. Maybe by then JRPGs will take over once the FPS market dries up.

Somebody buy her a Super Famicom already. If she's this blown away by the original Bomberman, imagine how she'll feel about the sequels.

Nooooooo!!!!! Do not introduce further sequels to her because once she finds out that Bomberman 3DS got cancelled and Hudson was bought off by Konami she'll live her last days on Earth in constant sorrow.

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 03:43:23 am »

I do what I can.

And by "do what I can" I mean get drunk on cheap convenience store sake and post crap on message boards.