News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: And EA proves once again they are a bunch of jackasses.  (Read 2668 times)

Lilinda

• View Profile
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
Re: And EA proves once again they are a bunch of jackasses.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 03:01:10 pm »
EULAs as they are currently written are just evil. Most of them have language that an average user can't help but gloss over. Not because they're dumb, but because they're not a lawyer and aside from that, no one wants to sit there for an hour, reading all the fine print.

They should have simpler EULAs so we don't feel intimidated by them and can not only read them, but also understand "oh, alright, I shouldn't do this".

In any case, I doubt EA can truly act on this because... how can you prove that someone overlooked a bug? It happens all the time. Many times, a bug never even gets noticed. And this is with a team of professional software testers who are genius but brain damaged enough (or heavily well paid) to do this kind of thing.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

MegaManJuno

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 03:08:44 am »
It seems a bit like they are mainly just trying to weed out the people who just want early access to play from the people who will actually, you know... beta test.

That being said, this seems like a very heavy-handed, asinine way to go about it...

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 03:18:58 am »
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/23/ea-wont-ban-for-simcity-bugs-eula-changes-inbound/

The idea all along was to prevent people from exploiting bugs to harm others, apparently. I had guessed this yesterday, but damn.

I mean, what kind of jackasses release a EULA with language like in the first link anyway?
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • et tu gamer
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 06:42:43 am »
It seems a bit like they are mainly just trying to weed out the people who just want early access to play from the people who will actually, you know... beta test.

That being said, this seems like a very heavy-handed, asinine way to go about it...
Except that a beta test that is open to the public shouldn't come with heavy-handed stuff like this.  This is something that's typically reserved for stuff like NDAs, which are signed by... you know, QA departments.  If I got paid for fixing their shit, sure, I'd sign off on something like that, but these testers aren't being paid.

MegaManJuno

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 11:15:33 am »
Except that a beta test that is open to the public shouldn't come with heavy-handed stuff like this.  This is something that's typically reserved for stuff like NDAs, which are signed by... you know, QA departments.  If I got paid for fixing their shit, sure, I'd sign off on something like that, but these testers aren't being paid.

...that was kind of my point by saying it was heavy-handed and asinine...  :banghead: