News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy: All the Bravest  (Read 37329 times)

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
Re: Final Fantasy: All the Bravest
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2013, 08:25:08 am »
Well I don't think you have to fight anyone to claim something as your own personal favorite?  :huh:

What I meant was, I like Final Fantasy IX enough that no matter what anyone does to me or says, it'll remain my personal favorite. ...That probably made as much sense as what I said before...

...I like FFIX no matter what its faults are. There. :/ *melts into a puddle of goo*
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2013, 08:30:21 am »
So what do you think FFIX does better than all other Final Fantasy games?  A legitimate question, not trolling.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2013, 08:42:02 am »
I... I don't know. It's just got a sort of special place in my memories, being my first Final Fantasy. I feel like the environments are nice to look at, the music is gorgeous, the characters lovable (despite generally being unidimensional).

Before I got this game, the only other RPG I played was Pokemon. And, well, Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Somehow, Final Fantasy IX knocked them all out of the water in terms of presentaion. To my baffled 14 year old mind, Final Fantasy IX was just more amazing than anything I'd ever seen before.

Only later did I play the rest of the series (up to XI, I promise I'll eventually play XII). Even then, it still remains my favorite for illogical reasons. Following it are probably FFVI and the original. And well, Final Fantasy Dimensions is starting to rise in the ranks of my favorite Final Fantasy-ies.
Who will quote me next?

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2013, 08:50:01 am »
my first Final Fantasy / it still remains my favorite for illogical reasons

Sounds like the power of nostalgia to me.

I can't hold that against you.  There are plenty of old games that I will swear are awesome, even though they've aged terribly, or never really were good to begin with, all due to nostalgia.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2013, 09:18:19 am »
Sounds like it:

*Pets Final Fantasy IX* I remember Dagger being quite strong... And Beatrix, too. Eiko was some little runt there. Maybe I've got nostalgia filters but at least in there, the women were decently fleshed out... I think.

I tend to skew towards the light fantasy-adventure titles, as you've realized.
Who will quote me next?

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2013, 09:21:00 am »
I tend to skew towards the light fantasy-adventure titles, as you've realized.

Again man I really think you'd enjoy Skies Of Arcadia Legends.  It's light hearted and really gives off a Zelda vibe at times.  (I plan to get back to it when I finish Disaster.)

ANYWAY back to whatever this thread was about then...

I SLIDE MY FINGER AND THE LITTLE MEN BOUNCE AROUND

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2013, 09:41:34 am »
Yeah, but you say Skies of Arcadia goes for up to $100 nowadays? Man... I have trouble touching my consoles... If you told me it was a DS game, I'd end up hunting it down a little more readily... :/

By the way, I don't always enjoy bright and colorful stuff. I barely enjoyed Tales of Phantasia (I thought it was too boring and the dungeon designs were straight from a Hell of Boredom). Heck, I don't like the Tales series in general. Most mascot platformers make me sick (I guess I enjoy Mario out of a grandfather clause or something, and I'm one of those weird people who preferred Sonic Adventure 1 & 2). Anything Sims makes my head scratch "Why would anyone enjoy this?".

In the other scale, I ended up liking Shin Megami Tensei (even though I don't understand 80% of it because of language), I liked what I played of SMT II, Persona 2, Persona 4 (which is brighter, but still), Strange Journey, Devil Summoner, and Devil Survivor. I liked what I saw and heard (from you!) for Nocturne. I liked Fallout 3 and wouldn't be against playing any of the other games in the franchise (and would play the Elder Scrolls games). I've got Catherine which I'm excited about (but haven't found the time to play). I've got both Hotel Dusk games, which are my sister's, but I also want to find time to play them. I've played and enjoyed Amnesia and eventually, I may pick up Limbo (which I got for my sister).

But ugh. So much stuff to play, so much stuff I want to do with my life, so little time I'm home and awake. I've got no stamina.
Who will quote me next?

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2013, 10:29:53 am »
Yeah, but you say Skies of Arcadia goes for up to $100 nowadays?

Yeah it's one of those Cube games that just keeps getting more expensive every year.  I wish I had bought Path Of Radiance when it was still at a sane price.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2013, 10:40:12 am »
I've got Path of Radiance. It's... boring. To me, anyway. Maybe it's (as I hypothesized in the Project X Zone thread) because it's a console strategy game and I end up getting bored with them.

...or I don't like animal people. :S

I haven't beaten it yet. Every once in a while, I see it on my shelf and think "I should give it a shot" but I never do. :/
Who will quote me next?

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2013, 10:44:42 am »
Well I haven't felt too bad for not owning it because from what I've seen of Fire Emblem, they are all very much the same.  Thus since I have GBA and DS versions of the series' iterations, I'm probably not missing much by skipping the Game Cube or Wii versions.  (And yes the Wii sequel is ridiculously overpriced as well on the internet.)

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2013, 10:54:23 am »
Actually, the Gamecube one felt a little different to me than the GBA/DS ones. Mostly because of the inclusion of the cat people. I sorta stopped playing there. I don't really know why, but by then, I was getting fed up with the game's aesthetics and seeing those people was the straw that broke the camel's back. Or something like that.

Hmm... It goes for $70 at least...
Who will quote me next?

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2013, 11:08:08 am »
Considering I'm not a furry I think I'm not missing much by skipping the cat people.  (Ranulf looks retarded indeed.)

Yes you should sell that game if you don't want it.  You could use the money to finance Pandora's Tower:thumbsup:

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2013, 02:39:03 pm »
I actually never felt that it was so bad... But then again, I first played it before getting my hands on Final Fantasy VI (and even then, I play FFVI on a PSP SNES emulator when PSP emulation was in its infancy. I was playing with jittery animation.)

This thread is making me want to play Final Fantasy IX all over again. :'(

Do you know if you can play FFVI all the way through on the latest SNES9TYXL emulator? I'd like to play that instead of the massive psx version if it does work. Plus I can use the GBA US font patch with that too.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2013, 03:09:15 pm »
I played it all the way with a really old SNES emulator, probably Snes 9X Port to PSP. SNES9xTYL ME should get you through the whole thing and be smooth. Seriously, I should play that game again because there's no way I could have gotten the best experience out of it. I bet I could play through the GBA version and feel that it's perfectly fine because of how bad the way I play it was. :/ But I trudged on because man if it wasn't good... :D
Who will quote me next?

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2013, 06:48:07 pm »
As far as I'm concerned,

SNES FF6 > GBA FF6

I like the way the airship handles better in the SNES version. Fastest airship ever.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2013, 08:16:36 pm »
The comparison just reminded me of when FF6A was first released and people were like "SE sucks for making it. You can already play FF6 on SNESPocket." Or whatever SNES emulator was made for GBA, even though I recall the author even saying the GBA just can't handle a good SNES emulator for several reasons (not the least of which fewer buttons and a lower resolution screen)
:D

I tried coverting FF6 to a emu+rom .gba ROM and ran it on VBA. As I recall, it may have been able to show the opening, but after that it's just a glitched screen of random pixels.
Yeah, why on earth would SE bother to make a PLAYABLE port. :D
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018