News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Pokemon Trading Card Game 2 Hacks  (Read 21702 times)

Drenn

• View Profile
Pokemon Trading Card Game 2 Hacks
« on: January 10, 2013, 09:32:41 pm »
I'll turn this into a general thread for my hacks of the ptcg2.

Here you can download a mini-patch which makes card-pop exclusive cards available in booster packs.

ORIGINAL POST

I can't even remember why I decided to do this, but I ended up making a surprisingly decent system to make new cards (not replacements) for the translated Pokemon TCG 2. So here's Missingno:

His pokemon power needed custom code. I originally based it off of the Pokemon Trader card, but I needed to dissect Computer Search and Dark Dragonite's "summon minions" power as well.

I don't know if he'll work properly when a computer uses him... I suspect not.

He should be in the "premier" booster pack. I'm pretty sure he can show up in it (let me know if you can confirm that!) but this gameshark code will give you 4 missingnos: 0004bea2 (you might have to restart the game with the code on.)

The missingno patch can be downloaded here. It should be applied over the translated rom (Artemis251's translation).

Here is a link to my sources. It can be used to add more cards (or edit existing ones) if you can wrap your head around it...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 12:09:30 pm by Drenn »
Zeldahacking.net: The hub for Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Seasons hacking. We have a discord!

locolol

• That penguin sure looks pissed.
    • View Profile
Re: Missingno. in the Pokemon Trading Card Game 2
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 12:48:16 am »
Haha, this looks great   :thumbsup:

Should i apply it over Danke's translation or Artemis251 translation ?

Drenn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 10:30:01 am »
Artemis's. It's the only completed translation, right?
Zeldahacking.net: The hub for Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Seasons hacking. We have a discord!

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 11:27:08 am »
In theory, it should be compatible with mine. I'll have to try it out later.

Drenn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 03:33:17 pm »
Come to think of it... the method I used shifts a lot of data, which might include all the text in the game. And I'm pretty sure IPS patches don't handle that very well, which is probably why my patch is half a megabyte big...
If this does work with your patch, it might actually end up copying all of Artemis's translation with it. If it doesn't do that then it definitely won't work, because I changed the bank used for text pointers. But I'm pretty sure I could "recompile" my patch to work with your translation.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 05:45:29 pm »
Awesome awesome. I'm a big fan of the TCG. Any chances you can add more cords? I'd personally love to see some more of the Generation 2 Pokemon in the GB card format.

Drenn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 06:38:54 pm »
Awesome awesome. I'm a big fan of the TCG. Any chances you can add more cords? I'd personally love to see some more of the Generation 2 Pokemon in the GB card format.
I actually did consider that. If I don't replace any cards, the engine could support an additional 66 cards, assuming I could find space for all the data. But I'm not sure if I'm willing to dedicate the time for that.

January 11, 2013, 08:25:18 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Okay, my setup isn't really working on windows. For some reason text reinsertion doesn't work. But I think I'll explode if I spend another second in my abandoned windows partition, so I'm uploading the sources now.

This needs a very recent version of wla dx to assemble. I committed my change earlier today, which adds support for 256 bank gb roms like this game.

Link
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 08:25:18 pm by Drenn »

cobaltex

• View Profile
    • anime4psp
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 01:29:57 am »
You know the card pop only cards from the first game? (does this one have card pop only cards as well?) would it be possible to make them obtainable in-game?

Drenn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 09:15:27 am »
I could probably assign them to a booster pack, but I don't know which cards those are. If you can give me a few examples it might help to locate the others, and it shouldn't be very hard from there.

You could also use the debug menus, but maybe that would be too easy.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:23:56 am by Drenn »

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 10:10:36 am »
"Here Comes Team Rocket!" and Lugia, along with a Venusaur and a Mew card.

cobaltex

• View Profile
    • anime4psp
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 11:58:05 am »

Drenn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 12:14:38 pm »
Thanks. The thing they all have in common is their booster pack # is 7. That just indicates that they're promotional cards, and there's no easy distinction between promotional cards found only in card pop, and ones you can trade for in-game. Here is a list of said cards:

VENUSAUR Lv64
VENUSAUR Lv67
CHARIZARD Lv76
ARCANINE Lv34
MOLTRES Lv40
BLASTOISE Lv52
MAGIKARP Lv10
OMASTAR Lv36
ARTICUNO Lv37
MARILL Lv17
PIKACHU Lv13
PIKACHU Lv16
PIKACHU Lv16
FLYING PIKACHU Lv12
FLYING PIKACHU Lv12
SURFING PIKACHU Lv13
SURFING PIKACHU Lv13
ELECTABUZZ Lv20
ZAPDOS Lv68
DIGLETT Lv16
DUGTRIO Lv40
MANKEY Lv7
MACHAMP Lv54
GOLEM Lv37
ALAKAZAM Lv45
SLOWPOKE Lv9
GENGAR Lv40
MEWTWO Lv30
MEWTWO Lv60
MEWTWO Lv60
GR'S MEWTWO Lv35
MEW Lv8
MEW Lv15
JIGGLYPUFF Lv12
MEOWTH Lv14
DARK PERSIAN Lv28
FARFETCH'D Lv20
KANGASKHAN Lv38
COOL PORYGON Lv15
HUNGRY SNORLAX Lv50
DRAGONITE Lv41
DRAGONITE Lv43
TOGEPI Lv8
LUGIA Lv55
IMAKUNI?
SUPER ENERGY RETRIEVAL
COMPUTER ERROR!
BILL'S COMPUTER
HERE COMES TEAM ROCKET!

I've crossed out the ones I know can be obtained through trade and whatnot. I'll assume the rest are card-pop exclusive unless you know otherwise.

cobaltex

• View Profile
    • anime4psp
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 02:30:49 pm »
Thanks. The thing they all have in common is their booster pack # is 7. That just indicates that they're promotional cards, and there's no easy distinction between promotional cards found only in card pop, and ones you can trade for in-game. Here is a list of said cards:

VENUSAUR Lv64
VENUSAUR Lv67
CHARIZARD Lv76
ARCANINE Lv34
MOLTRES Lv40
BLASTOISE Lv52
MAGIKARP Lv10
OMASTAR Lv36
ARTICUNO Lv37
MARILL Lv17
PIKACHU Lv13
PIKACHU Lv16
PIKACHU Lv16
FLYING PIKACHU Lv12
FLYING PIKACHU Lv12
SURFING PIKACHU Lv13
SURFING PIKACHU Lv13
ELECTABUZZ Lv20
ZAPDOS Lv68
DIGLETT Lv16
DUGTRIO Lv40
MANKEY Lv7
MACHAMP Lv54
GOLEM Lv37
ALAKAZAM Lv45
SLOWPOKE Lv9
GENGAR Lv40
MEWTWO Lv30
MEWTWO Lv60
MEWTWO Lv60
GR'S MEWTWO Lv35
MEW Lv8
MEW Lv15
JIGGLYPUFF Lv12
MEOWTH Lv14
DARK PERSIAN Lv28
FARFETCH'D Lv20
KANGASKHAN Lv38
COOL PORYGON Lv15
HUNGRY SNORLAX Lv50
DRAGONITE Lv41
DRAGONITE Lv43
TOGEPI Lv8
LUGIA Lv55
IMAKUNI?
SUPER ENERGY RETRIEVAL
COMPUTER ERROR!
BILL'S COMPUTER
HERE COMES TEAM ROCKET!

I've crossed out the ones I know can be obtained through trade and whatnot. I'll assume the rest are card-pop exclusive unless you know otherwise.
I bolded the card pop only cards for you.

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 02:36:15 pm »
All are available through trade or "give aways" in the game. Except those bolded as Card Pop! cards. Those you can only obtain through the IR port.

cobaltex

• View Profile
    • anime4psp
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 02:39:10 pm »
All are available through trade or "give aways" in the game. Except those bolded as Card Pop! cards. Those you can only obtain through the IR port.
And even then the chance is so slim that even if you card poped 1000 time theres still no guarantee you'd even get 1 of them.

Drenn

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 03:32:28 pm »
Oh, it's only those 4? I thought those were just a few of them. I'll see if I can make translation-independant patch this time.

locolol

• That penguin sure looks pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 05:29:52 pm »
That would be great,Drenn!  :thumbsup:

Drenn

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 06:15:45 pm »
I managed to force the game to give me a Lugia card in a booster pack by relocating all rare cards in that pack to elsewhere... so I'm pretty sure this will work. The only issue with it is that the cards don't show up properly on the card album. Most of them do show up, but... it's kind of wonky. They aren't assigned a blank line before you get them and they show up at the end, and without a proper number.

So maybe I can improve it. But here is the patch. It puts each of those 4 cards into one of the first 4 booster packs, with high rarity. It won't make the correct rom checksum because this ips was actually made between 2 of my homecooked hacks of the game. But it should work with the original japanese or whoever's translation.

Edit: Hold on, I was browsing bulbapedia and according to its page about phantom cards, Venusaur and Mew are actually obtainable in game - they can be bought from the GR game center for 2000 coins. So if I can fix the card album issues I'll probably leave them out of the booster packs, unless you really want them in, still.

CORRECTION: There's no problem with the album. The patch now only modifies 2 cards, Lugia and Here Comes Team Rocket.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 10:14:07 pm by Drenn »

cobaltex

• View Profile
    • anime4psp
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 08:13:57 pm »
I managed to force the game to give me a Lugia card in a booster pack by relocating all rare cards in that pack to elsewhere... so I'm pretty sure this will work. The only issue with it is that the cards don't show up properly on the card album. Most of them do show up, but... it's kind of wonky. They aren't assigned a blank line before you get them and they show up at the end, and without a proper number.

So maybe I can improve it. But here is the patch. It puts each of those 4 cards into one of the first 4 booster packs, with high rarity. It won't make the correct rom checksum because this ips was actually made between 2 of my homecooked hacks of the game. But it should work with the original japanese or whoever's translation.

Edit: Hold on, I was browsing bulbapedia and according to its page about phantom cards, Venusaur and Mew are actually obtainable in game - they can be bought from the GR game center for 2000 coins. So if I can fix the card album issues I'll probably leave them out of the booster packs, unless you really want them in, still.
Those two are card pops from the first game (where I'd like to see them attainable in game [I play both games]), so they more or less included them as bonus's in this (2) game, where you can get them the easy way or the hard (read:nigh on impossible) way.

Also I'd like to make a suggestion of Birthday Pikachu and Ancient Mew as cards to add to the game.

Drenn

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 09:13:38 pm »
Ah, I see you specified their respective games before but I didn't notice. A long time ago I made a simple editor for the original tcg, so maybe I'll do the same for its card-pop only cards if I find the time.

I'm not going to add more new cards right now until I decide where I'm going with this. Ancient Mew would be a possibility, but Birthday Pikachu? How would it know if it was your birthday? I could just imagine a prompt whenever you attack saying, "Is today your birthday?" :P

Edit: You know what I said about the weirdness with the card album? Well, nevermind. The album menu has them hard-coded to display at the bottom of the menu like that. They're just that special. So I'll fix the patch to only include those 2 cards, here comes team rocket and lugia, and not venusaur and mew.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:53:26 pm by Drenn »