News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Zelda Minish Cap Level Editor  (Read 18127 times)

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
Re: Zelda Minish Cap Level Editor
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 11:48:38 pm »
For those still interested in this project, I've recovered spikeman's code and am in the process of refactoring it into something functionally usable. I would like to know if anyone else has attempted to further this project. I'm also going to be working on the European version of the game. If anyone wishes to contribute, i'm best contacted on Discord as Mikesky#3456, or Twitter as @m1kesky.
Very nice. Are you going to do a beta testing period or just go for a full release?

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2017, 03:06:40 am »
Really surprising this project didn't get a lot more love.

Yeah seriously. If anything i'm surprised this sort of software wasn't used to remake Zelda 2 into a more proper Zelda game =X
I might have to play around with it for just that reason

For those still interested in this project, I've recovered spikeman's code and am in the process of refactoring it into something functionally usable. I would like to know if anyone else has attempted to further this project. I'm also going to be working on the European version of the game. If anyone wishes to contribute, i'm best contacted on Discord as Mikesky#3456, or Twitter as @m1kesky.

I most certainly am! I'd love to use it to remake Zelda 2. 3rd Quest is a fine remake of 1 and Link to the past holds up, as does Links Awakening and Oracle of Ages/Seasons but something REALLY needs to be done about 2 lol The Map, plot and general outline are there, it just needs de-sidescroll-ifying and put in a more tradition Zelda style and BAM! Done!

Sorry to necro this post, but I think a fair amount of people might come across it.

It seems as if the original creator of the Minish Magic tool (Spikeman)'s Dropbox links have died. While I don't have the notes they posted anywhere, I was able to find an old copy of the source code for Minish Magic, so here it is rehosted if anyone would like it. If you face any problems compiling, make sure you change the AppPath constant in the MainForm's code.

http://misc.nommiin.xyz/gba/mc/files/MinishMagic.zip

This might be a dumb question but where is the link? I cannot find it :/

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 03:13:54 am by Shade Aurion »

Mikesky

• Minish Cap s c i e n c e
    • View Profile
    • Minish Maker Development Server
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 08:45:25 pm »
Very nice. Are you going to do a beta testing period or just go for a full release?

I've been pretty busy with university stuff this year but I hope to release a beta with basic level editing in the coming months.

Yeah seriously. If anything i'm surprised this sort of software wasn't used to remake Zelda 2 into a more proper Zelda game =X

This might be a dumb question but where is the link? I cannot find it :/

Both of these projects were very early days and only allowed level viewing, but that sounds like an awesome project once we somewhere with this editor.

I have both Lin's and Spikeman's original code on the project's Discord Server (https://discord.gg/ndFuWbV) if people are interested in joining the project, or simply playing around and observing development. Please be aware that progress will be slow due to more pressing commitments like university.

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2018, 05:14:36 am »
I appreciate the offer but i've moved onto Solarus. And a fair ways into the project ;)

ChaosPrime8

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2018, 06:05:24 am »
One thing I would like to do with a Minish Cap editor is to make the game less linear.  The game is gated way too much just like OoX and there are no i-frames when getting hit.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2018, 09:19:06 am »
I just want to be able to get the houses for all three sisters instead of just two.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 12:03:27 am »
I appreciate the offer but i've moved onto Solarus. And a fair ways into the project ;)
Solarus?

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2018, 03:15:02 am »
Solarus is a game making engine somewhat similar to programs such as GameMaker. It's specifically for making Zelda 3 style adventure games.
It has a resource pack for Zelda 3 meant to be used to create fan games.
However, that is a separate download, and the main program can be used to create commercial games on its own.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 11:03:55 pm by Vanya »

ChaosPrime8

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2018, 12:31:57 pm »

Mikesky

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2018, 02:01:36 pm »
That's just caused by the (DEBUG) Cell Overwrite Set item in the game, and isn't permanent. Interesting how it continues to store all the tile's properties though.

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2018, 12:23:39 am »
Lin,
If you could try and document the memory locations (in hex,asm,c#,etc.) of certain items like master key, compass, dungeon map, and items. That way someone can create a randomizer for the game. Those are always fun.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

ChaosPrime8

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2018, 07:29:31 am »
This will be another project of mine should an editor ever get released.  my romhack series consists of every top down zelda game that contains a QoL theme and open world design. furthermore, i streamline the gameplay experience by removing padded segments and add new surprises.  if I ever get around to making a hack for TMC, then I will make sure i-frames exist. 

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2018, 12:03:52 pm »
If you have the resources from Minish Cap, you can easily use Solarus to create this sort of project.
Sorry for the late reply btw - http://www.solarus-games.org/

Mikesky

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2018, 08:19:25 am »
Lin,
If you could try and document the memory locations (in hex,asm,c#,etc.) of certain items like master key, compass, dungeon map, and items. That way someone can create a randomizer for the game. Those are always fun.

Lin's moved on from the project. Additionally TMC is an incredibly linear game (and the flag control is very heavy, well played Capcom) so it will incredibly difficult to randomise this game, though it's an end goal of mine. As we work on it we'll be providing documentation for different resources of course, we're already building the room and flag list as we discover things.

If you have the resources from Minish Cap, you can easily use Solarus to create this sort of project.

Sure, but it's nowhere near as fun as trying to do it in the original engine. Sure, I could just build my own game engine to mimic TMC (and I'd be faster at it too with my background) but there's something special about breaking this engine apart to see how it works.

Zeemis

• ジーミス
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2018, 06:00:47 pm »

People want a level editor for Minish Cap so they can hack the game, not download Solarus, hence the point of this forum, "rom hacking".

ChaosPrime8

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2018, 06:35:57 am »
when it comes to a good editor, i would like to see event flags edited so i can remove the railroading in the game.

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2018, 03:37:17 pm »
I've noticed when you edit a lot of the R.O.M., you also have to scroll through a lot of the R.A.M., to even find out what is going on. Was there ever a Zelda game where Link didn't begin with receiving the sword as the first item? Although, I don't understand why I care so much. Maybe Nintendo will abandon this series in the future.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2018, 08:12:28 am »
People want a level editor for Minish Cap so they can hack the game, not download Solarus, hence the point of this forum, "rom hacking".

Obviously. It's what I wanted originally, but when this project did not progress and the tools to "hack" are so limited, Solarus is a good option for those trying to make a Zelda game the way they want, which is much of the reason people want this editor in the first place. The site is called Rom Hacking. This sub-forum however is called 'Personal Projects' I'm not going to NOT mention something that might satisfy a few people because one person might take things overly literal. Especially when it's going great for me :p Gotta share the love dude