News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Zelda Minish Cap Level Editor  (Read 16516 times)

Lin

• View Profile
Zelda Minish Cap Level Editor
« on: January 01, 2013, 10:02:29 pm »
Recently I played Zelda Minish Cap for the first time and after getting through the first dungeon I realized the game was just like the Oracles and needed a level editor. I've only attempted GBA hacking once before but regardless I dove right in and now it's a project that's made decent progress. Right now it only has map viewing, which I'm pretty sure is flawless but I'm not entirely sure since I haven't even beaten the game yet! Here's a screenshot.

The layout isn't official or anything but to actually get the maps displaying took a few days. The compression used is the regular GBA LZ77 for everything. Before releasing it, I plan on having the basic stuff for a hack - character editing, warp editing, map property editing (I already have this data figured out), connection editing, level editing (obviously), chest editing, and anything else I feel is necessary.

~Lin

granz

• View Profile
    • granz' corner
Re: Zelda Minish Cap Level Editor
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 10:19:50 pm »
This would be really nice! Are you planning to allow the user to re-arrange properties related to Kinstone fusion events? (i.e. the locations of monsters and treasure chests that appear as a result of fusing)
I'm no longer active on RHDN, but I keep coming back to troll, whee!

Lin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 11:21:35 pm »
This would be really nice! Are you planning to allow the user to re-arrange properties related to Kinstone fusion events? (i.e. the locations of monsters and treasure chests that appear as a result of fusing)
Oh yeah, I forgot about those. More than likely yes, although it all depends on how they work.

granz

• View Profile
    • granz' corner
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 11:47:14 pm »
There might be a few events that can't be relocated. For instance, there's one fusion (or set of fusions) that actually re-arranges the contents of a section of Hyrule Field. I think it removes several trees. Other fusions result in things like stairwells appearing where a pond used to be, or beanstalks protruding from the ground and leading the player to a secret area in the clouds. If the editor changes those parts of the map that are normally affected by these events, then it could lead to some issues.
I'm no longer active on RHDN, but I keep coming back to troll, whee!

Fatories

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 12:49:36 am »
There might be a few events that can't be relocated. For instance, there's one fusion (or set of fusions) that actually re-arranges the contents of a section of Hyrule Field. I think it removes several trees. Other fusions result in things like stairwells appearing where a pond used to be, or beanstalks protruding from the ground and leading the player to a secret area in the clouds.

Of course it all depends on how it works; however, I would imagine yes because something like this would be to good to pass up on. Looking back at the Oracle games, one of the major things wanted was the ability to have something done in one room affect something in another; which users could do after the creation of ZOSE (Zelda Oracles Script Editor). We should be able to modify kinstones to do exactly that, and even take the alteration part of it and use it with a different trigger (instead of the kinstone fusion).
"The force of a true man can penetrate all. Nothing is safe."

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
    • Stuff Jigglysaint has done(like discover the Crocomire in MZM)
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 02:25:30 pm »
Of course it all depends on how it works; however, I would imagine yes because something like this would be to good to pass up on. Looking back at the Oracle games, one of the major things wanted was the ability to have something done in one room affect something in another; which users could do after the creation of ZOSE (Zelda Oracles Script Editor). We should be able to modify kinstones to do exactly that, and even take the alteration part of it and use it with a different trigger (instead of the kinstone fusion).

Oracles used three different systems to make room alterations.  Single block alterations that triggered when room flags were set, map swaps under certain conditions, and ASM scripts.  If Minish Cap was created by the same team, then I will wager that one of those three systems would be used, most likely ASM scripts.  There is also the chance that altered data could be held offscreen and copied in like it's done in Chrono Trigger.  Maybe I should get to work and help out.

tigrou

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 06:51:01 pm »
Nice project. did you plan to release any doc/information about how zelda rom store map information ? I search on the web and found nothing about that.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 07:10:04 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:57:07 am by Chpexo »

ReBirFh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 01:16:22 pm »
Good to see this project. A bit offtopic but seeing this thread reminded me that while watching the movie Labyrinth (1986) last week, I noticed that one of the characters had a taking hat that looks quite "similar" to the minish cap, coincidence?

Nintynuts

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 05:06:59 am »
Lin, are you still working on this? I looked for something like this years ago and was surprised to not find anything, so I'd love to see your tool released (and I would happily help if I can). I think this is the best looking 2D zelda game and I'd like to try and remake some older titles in this engine/graphical style. I know that would be a big project, probably requiring some ASM programming to change how equipment works, and some things would likely not work at all, but it seems like it would be a fun thing to try.

Spikeman

• *unce unce unce*
    • View Profile
    • None at the moment, check out my Last.fm page instead?
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 04:59:45 am »
Not Lin, but I worked on a similar project months ago.

Went ahead and uploaded an exe and the source code (C#):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5772976/rh/MinishMagic.rar

Yeah I had a similar idea in remaking other Zelda games in the Minish Cap engine, especially Link's Awakening or the Oracle games. I actually did a ton of disassembly and research into the game engine, which I could upload my notes if you're interested. It's still a project that I'd love to pick up sometime in the future, but I don't think I will be able to work on it seriously for a while, so feel free to use my code to start your own. :)
Open Source Hacking Projects: Guru Logic Champ, Telefang 2, (Want more? Check out my GitHub!)

Nintynuts

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 10:04:52 am »
Awesome, Thanks! I'll have a look at your code and try and teach myself a bit about how it all works. Maybe if Lin comes back we could all work on expanding your one to edit more stuff? I'm somewhat of a newbie to dis-assembly so if you could upload your notes too that might be really helpful.

Spikeman

• *unce unce unce*
    • View Profile
    • None at the moment, check out my Last.fm page instead?
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 08:57:02 pm »
I would definitely be down to collaborate with you and Lin if he ever returns. I already replied to you in a PM, but I'll post this for anyone else interested:

Here are my notes (warning: they not very organized): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5772976/rh/mm_notes.rar

Also, I will be done with finals in about two weeks, and then I will be available for more collaboration with anyone interested.
Open Source Hacking Projects: Guru Logic Champ, Telefang 2, (Want more? Check out my GitHub!)

Mizu-Kitsune

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 08:09:01 pm »
Is this thread still active? I have been dying to get to work on hacking minish cap for a long time now. I made an account specifically to find a map editor for it.
If possible, I would like to help in any way I can, though I'm not much of a programmer.

Also, i would like to add that the editor does not seem to want to work for me?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 08:50:41 pm by Mizu-Kitsune »

Zeemis

• ジーミス
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 09:15:02 am »
Is there a working version of this editor either by Lin or someone else? It crashes on execution.

Nommiin

• Profile Photo by AruUrara
    • View Profile
    • Nommiin
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 01:04:06 am »
Sorry to necro this post, but I think a fair amount of people might come across it.

It seems as if the original creator of the Minish Magic tool (Spikeman)'s Dropbox links have died. While I don't have the notes they posted anywhere, I was able to find an old copy of the source code for Minish Magic, so here it is rehosted if anyone would like it. If you face any problems compiling, make sure you change the AppPath constant in the MainForm's code.

http://misc.nommiin.xyz/gba/mc/files/MinishMagic.zip

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 07:20:23 pm »
Supplying a mirror is a good reason for a necro bump ... thanks!

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 05:41:35 pm »
Supplying a mirror is a good reason for a necro bump ... thanks!
Really surprising this project didn't get a lot more love.

Mikesky

• Minish Cap s c i e n c e
    • View Profile
    • Minish Maker Development Server
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 12:13:54 pm »
For those still interested in this project, I've recovered spikeman's code and am in the process of refactoring it into something functionally usable. I would like to know if anyone else has attempted to further this project. I'm also going to be working on the European version of the game. If anyone wishes to contribute, i'm best contacted on Discord as Mikesky#3456, or Twitter as @m1kesky.

shifuimam

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 09:26:10 pm »
Does anyone still have this level editor? I got all the way through the game (played on an EverDrive-GBA X5), and after the credits rolled and I saved my game...I'm back at my last save before killing Vaati. I'd like to edit it to get past this so I don't have to beat the stupid boss again.

Thanks!