News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Stand Guard 4.0  (Read 6598 times)

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
Stand Guard 4.0
« on: December 29, 2012, 02:27:08 am »
Okay.

I started here with an arrogant, presumptuous attitude that earned me no friends and lukewarm response to my first hack, Stand Guard. I get passionate and excited about what I do. Normally, that's writing song lyrics and playing 60's era guitar solos. But after a series of unfortunate events, I returned to Final Fantasy 6. It was my security blanket in a time of great hardship, even when I first got it for Christmas in 1994 (which, for those of you keeping track of real minutae, would have been the time when the box said Final Fantasy 3).

You see, early in 1995, I gave my brother a barefoot kick in the teeth near our townhouse apartment's coat closet that left a bite in the knuckles of my foot. Since my brother wasn't a big tooth-brusher, this bite created a redline infection that started to crawl up my leg, and eventually made me as sick as the proverbial dog. I couldn't put weight on my right foot, and I was throwing up a lot. I was on crutches, and taking giant antibiotic pills. Naturally, I was out of school for a good while.

During this time, I played Final Fantasy 6. This was the first time (SPOILER ALERT!!!) that I saw the destruction of the world, saw the suicide attempt of Celes, and saw the World of Ruin.

This profoundly affected me. I (like you, dear RHDN readers and hackers) am a nerd. I don't have a lot of friends, and I've been majorly depressed since I was old enough to understand emotions. The overworked, underpaid, under-respected game makers in the tiny island country of Japan managed to create something that touched my heart. We in the creation business call this "art."

So when I came back to Nashville, Tennessee after two months in Dallas, Texas failing at staying married, I decided to do something mega-crazy, and re-make Final Fantasy 6. FF3usME gave me the tools; all I needed was gumption, and the ability to eat my parents' food and live in their house for six months.

I no longer eat my parents' food, and I no longer live in their house. But Stand Guard isn't finished.

There are text formatting issues. Lines that don't "ring." Interesting challenges that need to be introduced. And perhaps ideas that I haven't yet considered.

I'm inviting anyone who loves this game to join me in a quest to make the FF6 hack to end all FF6 hacks. I only have one requirement; the music must remain untouched.

Contact me at 615-934-0710 to inquire. Voice communications are preferable.

In RPGe's translation of Final Fantasy 5, when there was a boss fight, Bartz would yell "Stand Guard!" This is the reason for the name of my hack. It's a throwdown. It's power. It's adrenaline. It's excitement.

It's Final Fantasy, boys and girls. Let's show Square what this game means to us. You never know; maybe they'll get off their slow-moving asses and give us something to remember for a change.

~ Spoons
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
Re: Stand Guard 4.0
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 03:07:16 am »
I just can't say no to you.  :-\  Hit me up if you need any translation/language/drinking related help. I know what it's like to have a game help (hell I think everyone does) through a hard patch of one's life. I'm behind this project 100%, and that's not just the liquor talking.

DrROBschiz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 04:50:57 pm »
I personally welcome anyone that is willing to take the time to work on one of my favorite games of all time.

The FF6 romhack scene has kind of died down which is a real shame since the games has so many endless possibilities for great gameplay

Some of My favorites so far have been oldies like Sage Acrin's Eviltype and the massive Collaboration behind Pandora's Box.

Recently there is a really cool challenge hack called Dancing Mad over at Insane Difficulty forums. I have also really enjoyed Hatzen08's recent FF6 hacks.

I am still working on putting together the Definitive FF6 experience.

I highly recommend DarkMage's Mega Patches since he combines just about every Modern patch and a Very awesome and Modern Retranslation.

You can find it over at his page
https://sites.google.com/site/shadedmagus/home/projects/ff6-improvement

I hope these examples provide some good resources and inspiration! I look forward to what you come up with!

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 09:08:52 pm »
How come no one has mentioned this FF6 hack before? Definitely interesting.

Though it's sad that he went with GP after all these years. Seriously, make a squishy tile of "il" and be done with it. It looks fine.

I'm definitely interested in seeing his script, though. I've been wondering why no one's taken the FF6 GBA script and put it into the SNES version.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

dn

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 02:11:16 am »
Perhaps somebody has done it and simply hasn't released it yet, because it's part of a larger project.

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 08:44:55 am »
presumptuous attitude that earned me no friends and lukewarm response to my first hack, Stand Guard. I get passionate and excited about what I do.

Ahem! I really liked you  hack. If I forgot to thank you, I sincerely apologize.

As for the Stand Guard patch, last time I check (how the hell do I remember this?!?) they were like 30 downloads, now they're like 400+!

I don't care about post count or download count, but numbers don't lie buddy. :beer:

Since I'm no RomHacker I can't help you much, but I wish you good luck and look forward to v. 4.0.

Note: Happy New Year, folks!

Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 02:46:56 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:59:01 am by Chpexo »

Myria

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 08:37:53 pm »
Interesting...  The Tales of Phantasia hack copied the NeoPaint DOS font I put into FF5 rather than using the CT/FF6 Chicago font.  I didn't know that.

Sinthet

• A line of code a day keeps insanity away.
    • View Profile
    • I write stuff here, sometimes.
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 08:39:15 am »
If you ask me the overworld sprites I thought were always cartoony as opposed to the enemies. You could try to make them more shaded like in Tales of Phantasia.
This. I always thought FF6 sprites were weird looking personally.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 07:15:18 pm »
I'm no good at sprite editing, and besides, I kinda like the sprites the way they are. Why don't you do this "shading" thing you speak of and show it to me? I might be persuaded to change my mind.

I've begun reformatting the text, and making little edits here and there. Work on 4.0 has begun.

Madsiur

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • FF6 hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 08:01:56 am »
I never played your hack but I might as well try it when version 4.0 is done. I've been playing with FF3us for a year and a half now doing mostly events, music hacking and some ASM such as a status check and level check event commands. I also started working recently on a FF3usME clone for the advance version of the game. So if you need an extra scene (or two) in your hack, I offer you my help. As for ASM, I can do some stuff but I'm not as comfortable with FF3us RAM as other more experienced people...

I'm mostly at ff6hacking.com so you can find me there but I'll start hanging out here a bit more since it's a more active board.

Good luck with your project!

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 08:34:25 am »
I've been playing with FF3us for a year and a half now doing mostly events [...] So if you need an extra scene (or two) in your hack, I offer you my help.

I do have an idea for a slight alteration to an event already in the game. When Locke's flashback in Rachel's house starts, I want the party to sit around the table.

That one, there. I also want Locke to sit in the chair to the left, as though he is drinking the wine. Locke says his lines and we have the blur effect, and the party should still be around the table when we come back to the present. After the event is over, Locke should take one step down, and the party regroups "into" Locke. Whaddaya think?

Good luck with your project!

Danke schoen.

Madsiur

• FF6 hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 09:03:00 am »
I do have an idea for a slight alteration to an event already in the game. When Locke's flashback in Rachel's house starts, I want the party to sit around the table.

There would need to be 4 chairs around the table and if I remember right, there is chair tiles for the 4 positions.

That one, there. I also want Locke to sit in the chair to the left, as though he is drinking the wine. Locke says his lines and we have the blur effect, and the party should still be around the table when we come back to the present. After the event is over, Locke should take one step down, and the party regroups "into" Locke. Whaddaya think?

There is no problem with that, althought Locke has no drinking pose... haha!

More seriously I could start working on that this week and I'll send you a video link for revision. If nothing needs to be ajusted, I'll send you a patch.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 09:05:47 am »
He doesn't need to actually drink it, it'll be implied. And if you can add two chairs to the table, that'd be great!

Please note that I'm working with Final Fantasy III US version 1.0, so the patch will have to be made to that rom.

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 09:47:12 am »
Um.

There's a map editor for FF6. Go find it.

Madsiur

• FF6 hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 10:19:32 am »
He doesn't need to actually drink it, it'll be implied. And if you can add two chairs to the table, that'd be great!

I know. I was trying to do a joke...

Please note that I'm working with Final Fantasy III US version 1.0, so the patch will have to be made to that rom.

I always work with that version too, so there is no problem there. I'll send you a video link via PM when I'm done.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 10:22:49 am »
I know. I was trying to do a joke...

:| I guess I get a little carried away sometimes when I'm in hyper-work mode.

I always work with that version too, so there is no problem there. I'll send you a video link via PM when I'm done.

Thanks so much!

EDIT: I've got the main dialog script edited all the way up to the end of The Dream Oath. I was able to include an almost-perfect version of this libretto. It's really shaping up, but unfortunately, I have to work tonight, so I absolutely have to go to bed...

Kiyoshi, nice to see you here. I appreciate your advice on unnecessary line breaks way back when. I haven't forgotten it.

EDIT: The text reformatting is all done. Next, beta testing.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:43:23 am by Spooniest »

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 01:38:26 am »
I've completed version 4.0 and submitted it.

If you don't want to wait, just download it.