News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Dreams Do Come True, Arabian Nights Translation Finished  (Read 33730 times)

Ryochan

• View Profile
    • Warped Lodgic
Re: Translations: Dreams Do Come True, Arabian Nights Translation Finished
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2013, 08:52:17 pm »
Merta, you'll enjoy Arabian Nights.  Even if the script I had been working with when Yonin no Translators apparently had some issues, the story is just darling.  The gameplay is wonderful, and easy to use.  Even with my basic Japanese (you'll notice I mentioned a friend up there, she helps me with translating) I was able to play the game all through with just Japanese and a map basically (there's also a guide on gamefaqs if you get stuck).

As for helping, I'm not quite sure.  But look around the board, especially personal projects and help wanted ads.  You never know when you may see something that you just happen to be able to do!
Who needs a signature?  After all I'd only say something random, stupid, or throw in my latest insanity...

Merta

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2013, 10:59:36 pm »
Merta, you'll enjoy Arabian Nights.  Even if the script I had been working with when Yonin no Translators apparently had some issues, the story is just darling.  The gameplay is wonderful, and easy to use.  Even with my basic Japanese (you'll notice I mentioned a friend up there, she helps me with translating) I was able to play the game all through with just Japanese and a map basically (there's also a guide on gamefaqs if you get stuck).

As for helping, I'm not quite sure.  But look around the board, especially personal projects and help wanted ads.  You never know when you may see something that you just happen to be able to do!

Yeah I had been looking forward to it and I heard that it was great. The screenshots show your traditional JRPG with a battle screen that reminded me of Ogre Battle's so that already is getting me excited.  So you were one of those who worked on the translation? Glad to see the spirit still alive, and I also like that I am talking to an individual who works behind the scenes in the underground industry of video game translations. Anything to look forward to coming from you?

Ryochan

• View Profile
    • Warped Lodgic
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2013, 11:57:13 pm »
Sadly, I only worked on the original project from YnT.  This one is a completely renewed version of the project with translations done by a single person (which is probably much easier!) and completed.  So I can't claim to have helped on this release.  I just have an idea on the story due to the last group.

As for me, I sadly can't hack and since my partner in crime is often away, I haven't committed to any projects at the moment.  Perhaps in the future though.

And oh gods, Ogre Battle... the cards in AN are so much easier and you don't get the negatives as much lol.
Who needs a signature?  After all I'd only say something random, stupid, or throw in my latest insanity...

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2013, 11:40:41 am »
Even if the script I had been working with when Yonin no Translators apparently had some issues, the story is just darling.

I think I mentioned this in my section of the Arabian Nights FAQ, but the worst of the YnT script I got were the diary entries. They were practically Engrish. If you're interested in some of the specific issues with the old AN script, feel free to PM me. :)

And I agree that the story is really cool. I think it could've been fleshed out a little bit more, but on the whole it's very different and intriguing.
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

Ryochan

• View Profile
    • Warped Lodgic
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2013, 12:24:45 am »
I think I mentioned this in my section of the Arabian Nights FAQ, but the worst of the YnT script I got were the diary entries. They were practically Engrish. If you're interested in some of the specific issues with the old AN script, feel free to PM me. :)

And I agree that the story is really cool. I think it could've been fleshed out a little bit more, but on the whole it's very different and intriguing.

lol, I may just.  I recall working on some of the Engrish when Pennywise and I were in YnT, and I had to play the game in Japanese and make screen caps just to fix up the areas we couldn't understand (there's probably an old thread here on RHDN with me making sure of a few things), doing an entirely new translation of those areas in order to know WHAT was going on.  It was a mess!

I agree.  It would have been a lot of fun to have more fleshed out on the story, but for what it was, I enjoyed the game very much.  It was nice to have a slightly lighter take on the old world in danger bit.  Didn't hurt that you also had a female lead AND a speaking protagonist, something that wasn't exactly common in the SNES days, especially in America (we missed all the good things, and some of the terrible).

Someday I'll get the game working and I do look forward to seeing the script fixed up!

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2013, 09:46:50 am »
Because this is a common complaint I'll release an optional patch that makes walking on the map faster and reduces the encounter rate (on the map). In the meantime, setting 0xd278 to 0x02 and 0xda64 to 0x0a will achieve just that. Seems to work fine, but be aware that I haven't thoroughly tested it.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2013, 11:49:54 am »
Because this is a common complaint I'll release an optional patch that makes walking on the map faster and reduces the encounter rate (on the map). In the meantime, setting 0xd278 to 0x02 and 0xda64 to 0x0a will achieve just that. Seems to work fine, but be aware that I haven't thoroughly tested it.

Cool, thanks for sharing. That was also my complaint with the game. Speaking of which, I've found a checksum routine while trying this out and being puzzled why battles broke. Is this your handiwork? :)

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2013, 12:52:14 pm »
Yeah, but it was a last-minute job, so it's not that great ;) I'll probably replace it in the next patch.

cantankerous

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2013, 08:10:36 am »
This spot, right?

You have to wiggle the d-pad a bit, especially diagonally, to fit through. If you really can't get through whatever you do I can take a look at it if you upload a savestate or sram.

This is mentioned quite a few times, with not being able to get past this particular mountain part.  Is this a bug in the game itself, the hack/mod, or just user error?  Considering more than one person has mentioned this is a problem to get past, it really has me wondering how I will fare when I get to this game (after the next patch for faster running and less encounters).  I am wondering what the official response is to this?

Thanks for anyones time in responding.

January 28, 2013, 08:48:14 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Thanks a lot for considering to do this.  Your time in making this game better is certainly appreciated.  The random battles are a bit much in this game in general, how about lowering the encounter rate overall throughout the game and not just on the world map?  Is this possible and something you would consider?  I would love to roam around more freely and level up in my own way, not by being forced into constant battle after battle.  This may help make the game a little longer and harder too, as being too short and easy is something else that is noted about this game.

Faster walking and less encounters on the world map is still a great change however, so thanks again.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 08:48:15 am by cantankerous »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2013, 01:45:35 pm »
That issue with passing between the mountains was never an issue for the team while betatesting. Therefore it does not concern us as we were able to pass through it without any trouble. I don't know what the problem is, but it's not a bug in the game or in our patch.

cantankerous

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2013, 01:46:14 pm »
That issue with passing between the mountains was never an issue for the team while betatesting. Therefore it does not concern us as we were able to pass through it without any trouble. I don't know what the problem is, but it's not a bug in the game or in our patch.

Ok, thanks for sharing, your input is appreciated.

Ryochan

• View Profile
    • Warped Lodgic
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2013, 01:11:46 am »
I think I remember that mountain when I played through without a hack.  As the suggestion in the image shows, it's just wriggling around until you manage to get through; frustrating, but doable.

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2013, 07:32:48 pm »
The problem with that mountain pass is you must pass through it diagonally!

Emulator users with keyboards won't be able to press up+right (if I remember correctly), possibly other combinations.  Many emulators have a sort of workaround; some allow you to set diagonals on keys, some allow you to set a button as a 'combination' or other such thing, and worst case you could map up and right to two combinable keys, like shift+M or something.

Not a bug--input error.  If you use a joystick/gamepad/etc. you shouldn't experience this.

cantankerous

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2013, 09:38:13 pm »
The problem with that mountain pass is you must pass through it diagonally!

Emulator users with keyboards won't be able to press up+right (if I remember correctly), possibly other combinations.  Many emulators have a sort of workaround; some allow you to set diagonals on keys, some allow you to set a button as a 'combination' or other such thing, and worst case you could map up and right to two combinable keys, like shift+M or something.

Not a bug--input error.  If you use a joystick/gamepad/etc. you shouldn't experience this.

Thanks a lot for this info, makes perfect sense and I appreciate you chiming in with this.  I most certainly will be using a control pad, so I am glad to read I won't experience this issue and it is nothing to worry about bug wise in the game.

RetroHelix

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2013, 06:09:43 am »
I was finally able to play the game. I like the story, the graphics are great and the cards give the battle system a fresh touch. I does not encountered any bugs and the translation with all the different fonts (diary, intro, etc.) looks great. But I'm about 6 hours in the game and I think its quite a challenge, if you don't stock healitems. The cards are mostly useless if they don't nullify magic attacks, recover hp or let you always crit. I don't have any problems with physical attacks but with the magicattack cards of the enemy. Maybe I have to waste my cards to counter this...

Anyway, good job!

cobaltex

• View Profile
    • anime4psp
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2013, 10:51:00 pm »
I was wondering about the status of this?

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2013, 05:41:29 am »
I was wondering about the status of this?

I'm working with others on two non-English translations of AN (both have their script already translated) and I'm planning to release everything (said translations and the bug fixes for the English one) at the same time. Hopefully it doesn't take too long.

cantankerous

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2013, 10:18:54 am »
I'm working with others on two non-English translations of AN (both have their script already translated) and I'm planning to release everything (said translations and the bug fixes for the English one) at the same time. Hopefully it doesn't take too long.

Thanks for the info!  It seems many are waiting patiently for this updated patch.  I am sure it will be well worth the wait!

Keep up the great work!

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2013, 09:27:31 pm »
I finished to copy-paste the french texts in the new dump but your inbox is full, so I used the email of your blog (admin@xxxxx).

Maybe it'll be put in the spam as there is a link in it (the link of the texts).

March 07, 2013, 03:18:15 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Did you received my email?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 03:18:15 am by Hiei- »

etking

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2013, 01:06:37 pm »
It would be nice to have a patch that reduces the random encounter rate to 20% and provides 5x Exp to compensate this. The game is just unplayable in its current state, even if you are a hardcore JRPG fan the encounter rate is far too high in my opinion.