News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Castlevania II (Simon's Quest) - Multilingual enhancement  (Read 424389 times)

Vanya

• View Profile
Re: Castlevania II (Simon's Quest) - Multilingual enhancement
« Reply #800 on: March 15, 2014, 11:43:14 am »
Hey. I just noticed that the patch isn't working on FCEUX 2.2.2
It just brought up a grey screen. I tried an earlier version of the patch so it is likely a problem with the emulator.

Bisqwit

• Polite, but politically incorrect.
    • View Profile
    • http://iki.fi/bisqwit/
Re: Castlevania II (Simon\'s Quest) - Multilingual enhancement
« Reply #801 on: March 19, 2014, 08:13:22 am »
Hey. I just noticed that the patch isn't working on FCEUX 2.2.2
It just brought up a grey screen. I tried an earlier version of the patch so it is likely a problem with the emulator.

I tried FCEUX 2.2.0 and FCEUX 2.2.2, and it works well in both...
But what doesn't work is that bringing up the PPU viewer always crashes/disables Aero (regardless of ROM).
However, now that I test it, I'm not sure whether collecting clues still works properly.

March 20, 2014, 09:58:32 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
EDIT: I got the gray screen on real hardware... But only when I accidentally burned a version with wrong mapper!

In other news, considering that I also do PIC programming and other related stuff once in a while, I ordered an universal programmer (TL866CS) from Alibaba. It arrived today. Yay!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 12:04:57 pm by Bisqwit »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #802 on: March 20, 2014, 06:43:36 pm »
FCEUX 2.2.2 still gives me a grey screen from the moment I load it.
Nestopia 1.40 works just fine.
I'm going to test out some earlier version to see what happens.

This is the current patch I'm using: cv2eng-2_9_8_13-ntsc-stm24mwfmFrup4

Bisqwit

• View Profile
« Reply #803 on: March 21, 2014, 07:16:47 am »
FCEUX 2.2.2 still gives me a grey screen from the moment I load it.

Please make sure you don't have an errant cheat code activated...

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #804 on: March 21, 2014, 03:03:59 pm »
Please make sure you don't have an errant cheat code activated...

nope. never even opened the cheat window before.

Bisqwit

• View Profile
« Reply #805 on: April 26, 2014, 11:05:19 am »
Version 2.9.8.14 released!

Changes include:
-- Added Filipino (Tagalog) version contributed by Zynk Oxhyde. This enhancement is thus now available in five languages: Finnish, English, Japanese, French, and Tagalog. More languages may be upcoming.
-- Some workaround for the cursor flashing / disappearing bug in SRAM screen observed on Dendy / PAL famiclone consoles.

If you want to contribute a translation to another language, contact me. You will need to prove that you can work with text files in a specific format, by completing a test I give to you. The only tool you will need in the translation is a text editor, such as Notepad++ or Emacs.

Carnivol

• Consider it a privilege!
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 27, 2014, 05:11:35 pm »
If you want to contribute a translation to another language, contact me. You will need to prove that you can work with text files in a specific format, by completing a test I give to you. The only tool you will need in the translation is a text editor, such as Notepad++ or Emacs.

Been looking for something to whip together in Norwegian lately, so if you've got a spot open for a Norwegian translation; I'm all up for adding it to the agenda. :)

Bisqwit

• View Profile
« Reply #807 on: May 02, 2014, 06:23:23 am »
Been looking for something to whip together in Norwegian lately, so if you've got a spot open for a Norwegian translation; I'm all up for adding it to the agenda. :)
That would be great! Please contact me by e-mail and I will give you more information. -> bisqwit@iki.fi

Carnivol

• Consider it a privilege!
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: May 02, 2014, 03:41:36 pm »
That would be great! Please contact me by e-mail and I will give you more information. -> bisqwit@iki.fi

Excellent. Shot you a mail now.

Faan Waac Mienh

• View Profile
« Reply #809 on: May 11, 2014, 03:52:06 am »
Mind if I gave it a shot at translating into Iu Mien?
My name means translator or interpreter, which I hope to do a lot of here. Oh, it's an Iu Mien word.

Bisqwit

• View Profile
« Reply #810 on: May 11, 2014, 04:19:17 am »
Mind if I gave it a shot at translating into Iu Mien?
Whoa! I had never even heard of that language before.
Looks like it is written with just 26 latin letters, like English. How odd.
Sure, why not! That would probably the world's first Iu Mien language rom hack, too :-)

Faan Waac Mienh

• View Profile
« Reply #811 on: May 11, 2014, 08:11:25 am »
Whoa! I had never even heard of that language before.
Looks like it is written with just 26 latin letters, like English. How odd.
Sure, why not! That would probably the world's first Iu Mien language rom hack, too :-)

Great! Thank you! I was looking for a project and Avi recommended me this one, I'm glad that you would consider my soon to be translation.  ;)
Iu Mien never had its own writing system, it was only since 1984 when they finalized an Iu Mien Romanized unified scripture so it would be easier for Mien people around the world including non-Mien people to read, write, learn, teach and communicate purely in Mien. Yes, 1984, so this is pretty new-ish still, and not very many Mien folks know how to read or write in Mien. I'm hoping to help break that habit through video games and fan translations of randomness. Even if it's just game hacks, I have to start some where.  ;)
Sorry for the little history lesson there, I like throwing it out there whenever I get the chance to. :D And yes, this will be the very first rom hack in the world in Mien, believe me on this. I've tried looking for Mien games, oh how I tried so hard...  :'( (I forgot to mention that most Iu Mien people use "Mien" for short.)
So whenever it is possible for you, I would like to get started on this project asap.
My name means translator or interpreter, which I hope to do a lot of here. Oh, it's an Iu Mien word.

Bisqwit

• View Profile
« Reply #812 on: May 11, 2014, 12:09:58 pm »
Just e-mail me and I'll send you information.

hossbags2

• View Profile
« Reply #813 on: May 29, 2014, 05:49:58 am »
can you also include an option to turn off/on possibly dialog changes as to what TheAlmightyGuru did for the Redaction version.....also option to turn off/on false floors as well.

Bisqwit

• View Profile
« Reply #814 on: May 29, 2014, 06:23:06 am »
can you also include an option to turn off/on possibly dialog changes as to what TheAlmightyGuru did for the Redaction version...
No. I don't like his changes. Sorry about putting it so bluntly.

..also option to turn off/on false floors as well.
It would be nice if you could see them with e.g. Dracula's eye, but there's no evidence anywhere suggesting that this kind of feature was planned for the game, and thus it falls outside the scope of this project.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 06:36:00 am by Bisqwit »

darkanx

• View Profile
« Reply #815 on: May 29, 2014, 07:44:12 pm »
It would be nice if you could see them with e.g. Dracula's eye, but there's no evidence anywhere suggesting that this kind of feature was planned for the game, and thus it falls outside the scope of this project.

It's an awesome idea, however. I would like to request this feature as an optional/separate patch, please.

Clippit

• View Profile
« Reply #816 on: May 30, 2014, 02:47:31 am »
Looks like a great opportunity to test my English to Spanish translation abilities. May I give it a try? If I get enough free time, of course.
"I swear my victory to this feather!"

Bisqwit

• View Profile
« Reply #817 on: May 30, 2014, 03:34:15 pm »
It's an awesome idea, however. I would like to request this feature as an optional/separate patch, please.
If someone spends effort in making that principally happen (for example, give me some assembler code that changes the trap floors/walls into a different texture depending on some runtime condition), I can consider putting it into the vending machine behind some secret/optional flag. It would probably be easy to permanently change those tiles, but the difficulty is in making it depend on a runtime condition.

Looks like a great opportunity to test my English to Spanish translation abilities. May I give it a try? If I get enough free time, of course.
If you wish to contribute a translation, just contact me by e-mail and I will send you a preliminary task and some information. (The same task and information can also be found in an earlier post in this thread, but I don't wish to re-post it in the thread, and I prefer to have dialog with the translator beginning from step 0.)
Is Spanish your mother tongue? I would prefer that each translation is created by someone who speaks that language natively. (Admittedly English is not my mother tongue, so my principle is a bit hollow.)

MegaManJuno

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: May 30, 2014, 04:42:49 pm »
(Admittedly English is not my mother tongue, so my principle is a bit hollow.)

Although, your grasp of it seems better than many "native" speakers. I can't decide if that makes it all the more funny or sad. :-\

Clippit

• View Profile
« Reply #819 on: May 30, 2014, 07:27:16 pm »
If someone spends effort in making that principally happen (for example, give me some assembler code that changes the trap floors/walls into a different texture depending on some runtime condition), I can consider putting it into the vending machine behind some secret/optional flag. It would probably be easy to permanently change those tiles, but the difficulty is in making it depend on a runtime condition.
If you wish to contribute a translation, just contact me by e-mail and I will send you a preliminary task and some information. (The same task and information can also be found in an earlier post in this thread, but I don't wish to re-post it in the thread, and I prefer to have dialog with the translator beginning from step 0.)
Is Spanish your mother tongue? I would prefer that each translation is created by someone who speaks that language natively. (Admittedly English is not my mother tongue, so my principle is a bit hollow.)
Even though I don't like to admit it, yes, Spanish is my mother language, and I always thought translating games could be kind of fun. Any idea of what could be done regarding Spanish's special symbols? "á, é, í, ó, ú, ü, ñ, ¿, ¡" Maybe the accents could be skipped without it being a big deal, but some words require the "ñ" in order to sound properly.
...anyway, I'll be sending you an e-mail soon-ish.
"I swear my victory to this feather!"