News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Castlevania II (Simon's Quest) - Multilingual enhancement  (Read 417902 times)

Bisqwit

• Polite, but politically incorrect.
    • View Profile
    • http://iki.fi/bisqwit/
Re: Castlevania II (Simon's Quest) - Multilingual completization
« Reply #720 on: November 08, 2013, 09:02:31 pm »
Ok. I changed it into "enhancement" in this thread then. I also edited the first post of this thread today and added some information about the project's goals, among other things.

Vanya

• View Profile
Re: Castlevania II (Simon's Quest) - Multilingual enhancement
« Reply #721 on: November 09, 2013, 09:04:37 am »
Groovie.
Out of curiosity, ant word on the state of the new intro?

Bisqwit

• View Profile
« Reply #722 on: November 09, 2013, 11:21:45 pm »
Out of curiosity, ant word on the state of the new intro?

Well, the new intro is already there. As I don't remember there being important bugs in it that require solving, for all intents and purposes it's final.

With the exception of the audio that is.

I planned to set the version number milestone of 3.0 to when the music is added to the intro.  But so far, there is no music that I have been completely satisfied with for the intro, which is why I have been procrastinating on the issue, and therefore working with that narrow and cumbersome 2.9.8.x version window.

EDIT: Just for fun, I added some images illustrating the bugs listed in the first post of this thread.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 05:30:18 pm by Bisqwit »

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #723 on: November 10, 2013, 09:49:19 pm »
Something you might want to fix regarding the patch vending machine: When I downloaded the most recent version of the patch, it gave me two very similarly named IPS patches in the ZIP file, and I was confused on which one to use. The only difference in the name was that one letter was capitalized on one patch and wasn't in the other. I went with the capitalized one since that letter was capitalized in the ZIP file name, but you should probably fix that to prevent further confusion.

For reference, it was the English patch, NTSC Version 2.9.8.7, IPS packed in a ZIP, MMC4 chipset, Additional dialog, Map, SRAM - remove passwords, Whips and clue browser, and the rest all Yes.
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: November 11, 2013, 02:13:00 pm »
But so far, there is no music that I have been completely satisfied with for the intro, which is why I have been procrastinating on the issue, and therefore working with that narrow and cumbersome 2.9.8.x version window.

Maybe you should consider just using a single looping track with a simple beginning middle and end instead of trying to match up every single scene. Most of the games in the series have fairly simple pieces of music for their intros. I suggest going on youtube and watching all the intros and requiring any composer that wants to tackle the job do the same.

Bisqwit

• View Profile
Re: Castlevania II (Simon\'s Quest) - Multilingual enhancement
« Reply #725 on: November 11, 2013, 02:28:18 pm »
Something you might want to fix regarding the patch vending machine: When I downloaded the most recent version of the patch, it gave me two very similarly named IPS patches in the ZIP file, and I was confused on which one to use. The only difference in the name was that one letter was capitalized on one patch and wasn't in the other. I went with the capitalized one since that letter was capitalized in the ZIP file name, but you should probably fix that to prevent further confusion.

For reference, it was the English patch, NTSC Version 2.9.8.7, IPS packed in a ZIP, MMC4 chipset, Additional dialog, Map, SRAM - remove passwords, Whips and clue browser, and the rest all Yes.

This should not happen. I think it's something how kzip works. Give a filename to kzip to put into zip, and it puts all files matching that name, case-insensitive, into the zip, even when running on Linux.
Thanks for the report. I confirmed the problem. I'll see how to fix it.
There does not seem to be a commandline option in kzip to turn this misfeature off... Which is sad because on unix systems, a program has to go out of their way to do something like this. The normal action (open file) just opens literally the desired file, and that's it. I'll switch to infozip for now.

November 18, 2013, 10:37:10 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Version 2.9.8.8 released.

It includes the following changes:

-- [Japanese version] Fixed a misplaced colon on the status screen.
-- [Japanese version] Fixed switching whips causing leftover kana on the status screen. [If whip_ext enabled]
-- [All versions] The status screen cursor will no longer stop over those lines that contain no items, mitigating the lost cursor phenomenon a little.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 10:37:10 am by Bisqwit »

TimeCop

• View Profile
« Reply #726 on: November 21, 2013, 06:44:53 am »
This is like the best romhack ever. I have always loved Simon's Quest but didn't like the localization. Some ideas:

1. Prologue might make more sense to be simply text. Old games may times would do that, such as Zelda II.

2. Speaking of, I really like how in that game it warped you back to the beginning. Would you be interested in adding that as an option at least? I know a lot of people didn't like that, but I love that as a feature in ZII. Or maybe it's something I could do.

3. Could you have it so that sprites go back to disappearing during text? Or at least make it optional? I don't think its the worst thing in the original, and it might be way more work than its worth to have an alternate solution.

4. Would you also be interested in giving the same treatment to CV1 and 3? 1 originally had saving in the FDS version, but not in the NTSC version. Saving in 3 would be nice in 3 too. Plus being able to press down and jump to fall down on stairs would be nice in both of them.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 06:55:37 am by TimeCop »

Bisqwit

• View Profile
« Reply #727 on: November 21, 2013, 07:42:35 am »
Thanks for your feedback!

To answer the points you made:

1. Prologue might make more sense to be simply text. Old games may times would do that, such as Zelda II.

Old games did that because it was cheapest in terms of ROM space and effort. I had the budget (and ambition) to go for this kind of feature, so I did.
Dracula II originally had a text-only prologue screen, but this was because there was little room in the FDS diskette for anything else. Simon's Quest did not change it in any manner, because they made the NES port of the game through the venue of least effort. They even copied inefficient stock I/O routines into the game to replace the FDS BIOS routines instead of creating optimized ones.

2. Speaking of, I really like how in that game it warped you back to the beginning. Would you be interested in adding that as an option at least? I know a lot of people didn't like that, but I love that as a feature in ZII. Or maybe it's something I could do.

I will keep that in mind. I don't personally see a good reason to add such an aggravating feature, considering how often deaths are caused by menial things like the water pits in towns.

3. Could you have it so that sprites go back to disappearing during text? Or at least make it optional? I don't think its the worst thing in the original, and it might be way more work than its worth to have an alternate solution.

It is an option already, but not provided in the vending machine. To get a custom ROM with this feature disabled, add &hideactors=1 to the vending machine URL that you get when the form is submitted.

4. Would you also be interested in giving the same treatment to CV1 and 3? 1 originally had saving in the FDS version, but not in the NTSC version. Saving in 3 would be nice in 3 too. Plus being able to press down and jump to fall down on stairs would be nice in both of them.

I have been considering Castlevania III, i.e. Akumajou Densetsu. But not Castlevania, because it does not have almost any dialog and I want to focus on translation patches. In any case, it is a lot of work to make something like this, so don't hold your breath. Might never happen.

TimeCop

• View Profile
« Reply #728 on: November 25, 2013, 12:25:27 pm »
I want to focus on translation patches.

Well, there's CV4 which I don't think has had a translation patch yet. There is not much text to translate as well (prologue mostly). The JP version is superior with the ENG version having a lot of silly or stupid changes. See here for details:
http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Castlevania_IV#North_American_version
http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Castlevania_IV#Regional_variations

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: November 25, 2013, 01:20:06 pm »
I have been considering Castlevania III, i.e. Akumajou Densetsu. But not Castlevania, because it does not have almost any dialog and I want to focus on translation patches. In any case, it is a lot of work to make something like this, so don't hold your breath. Might never happen.
About the original Castlevania, here's a few suggestions from the hack ideas thread.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: November 25, 2013, 08:57:48 pm »
a few suggestions from the hack ideas thread.

:D I totally agree with that insane poster. :P
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:02:49 pm by Vanya »

knighTeen87

• No More Room In Hell
    • View Profile
    • My personal site with Rom Hacks&Translations,Neo Geo Soundtracks,PSX Isos,CT 2007 Hack and more...t
« Reply #731 on: November 26, 2013, 11:03:53 am »
Can I contribute to your project with a Turkish translation? :)

Bisqwit

• View Profile
« Reply #732 on: November 26, 2013, 01:23:53 pm »
Can I contribute to your project with a Turkish translation? :)

Yes, you can!  The translation involves text files with a specific format.
You will need:
-- A text editor that supports monospaced text, such as Notepad+ and can deal with 8-bit text (not UTF-8) encoded in... well, your case, ISO-8859-9.
-- Some rudimentary understanding about markup in general (the text contains e.g. newlines indicated with [nl] and comments indicated with semicolon, and some configuration files contain JSON)

I have a syntax highlighting file designed for these files, in use with the Joe editor, but hardly anyone uses Joe other than me, so that is probably not useful for you.

Here is a small snippet of the translation material: http://bisqwit.iki.fi/cv2fin/dev/translation_snippet.html It has colors from my editor; you can disregard the colors. Just copypaste the content into a new text file and get started.

Be sure to preserve any indentation.
Please contact me with a private message or email (bisqwit@iki.fi) when you are done with that part, and we'll see about continuing with the full translation with you :-)

I can take care about the necessary font changes.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 04:10:20 pm by Bisqwit »

knighTeen87

• No More Room In Hell
    • View Profile
    • My personal site with Rom Hacks&Translations,Neo Geo Soundtracks,PSX Isos,CT 2007 Hack and more...t
« Reply #733 on: November 27, 2013, 07:21:30 am »
Yes, you can!  The translation involves text files with a specific format.
You will need:
-- A text editor that supports monospaced text, such as Notepad+ and can deal with 8-bit text (not UTF-8) encoded in... well, your case, ISO-8859-9.
-- Some rudimentary understanding about markup in general (the text contains e.g. newlines indicated with [nl] and comments indicated with semicolon, and some configuration files contain JSON)

I have a syntax highlighting file designed for these files, in use with the Joe editor, but hardly anyone uses Joe other than me, so that is probably not useful for you.

Here is a small snippet of the translation material: http://bisqwit.iki.fi/cv2fin/dev/translation_snippet.html It has colors from my editor; you can disregard the colors. Just copypaste the content into a new text file and get started.

Be sure to preserve any indentation.
Please contact me with a private message or email (bisqwit@iki.fi) when you are done with that part, and we'll see about continuing with the full translation with you :-)

I can take care about the necessary font changes.

To be honest man, I don't have that hacking knowledge. I'm just an amateur rom hacker with basic skills :) So all i can do for you is I can just send you the turkish translations of the texts in the game :)

Hielkenator

• View Profile
« Reply #734 on: November 27, 2013, 10:39:52 am »
Hello,

Castlevania 2 will always hold a special place in my heart.
It was one of the few games I finished as a child, despite of the horrible dialog.
Lately I spoke of this game with my old time friends. ( pushing 40 now...)
Big impression this game left in our brain...

I was doing a full translation in proper Dutch for the original ntsc version.
Had huge trouble getting the proloque right....
I also did some minor sprite editing..
But then I stumbled upon your version!
Wich is a HELL of a LOT BETTER!!!!
It feels polished and complete.

Awesome job!
I would love to do a proper dutch translation of your work.
I suspect you used compression methods in your patch?

Please let me know what you think.

Kind regards,
Hielkenator

Bisqwit

• View Profile
« Reply #735 on: November 27, 2013, 07:19:30 pm »
Thanks Hielkenator! I received your email and will check it in a few days and get back to you. Tentatively though, I see you did not change the whole file. I'd like you to implement changes to all the texts (including the clue names and the merchant/dialogbox lines) before continuing.
Dutch only uses A-Z, right? Nice, though there may be a problem if it uses all of those letters in both uppercase and lowercase, because my patch does not have the full set of the alphabet in both sizes. It can only produce mixed-case text because the text does not use all capital letters (and not even all lowercase letters).
(This of course applies to any other language as well. If this ends up being a problem, it's usually only when all dialog has been translated, and some lines have to be changed to avoid introducing unique letters.)

Yes, I used a compression method or two. :-) For the dialog, I only used methods that already existed in the game (but which were unused in the NES version). You may nevertheless find it difficult to locate the text in the ROM, because I scrambled the alphabet, and I use a linker which places each data item in any free hole instead of in its original location.

>knighTeen87

I await seeing your results. Let's talk after that whether you have the necessary skills or not.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 07:25:47 pm by Bisqwit »

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #736 on: November 29, 2013, 05:04:01 am »
Dutch also has that fun ij thing :D
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Bisqwit

• View Profile
« Reply #737 on: November 29, 2013, 06:06:13 am »
Dutch also has that fun ij thing :D

But it only matters in sorting, right? I don't think it applies in this game at all. No need to make it a digraph, even.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #738 on: November 29, 2013, 06:38:46 am »
In most monospace fonts, it’s more aesthetically pleasing, if nothing else. I don’t know Dutch, but I do know typography. In monospace typefaces, skinny letters like i, l, and in some respects j don’t really fill enough space on their own. They get all cold and lonely... :'(

At least they’re not like that fatass m, that layabout bilabial.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Bisqwit

• View Profile
« Reply #739 on: November 29, 2013, 10:06:07 am »
In most monospace fonts, it’s more aesthetically pleasing, if nothing else. I don’t know Dutch, but I do know typography. In monospace typefaces, skinny letters like i, l, and in some respects j don’t really fill enough space on their own. They get all cold and lonely... :'(

In my opinion, this is not too bad though! (Linebreaks added my me. The second text is courtesy Google Translate.)

Attempting to cram the "i" and "j" into the same 8x8 box would be rather inconvenient in this typeface, I believe. The serifs mostly help fill out the space for those skinny letters, except when there's several of them in a row, like in the word "familie" here.

It is not out of question to create special digraphs/trigraphs/ligatures for this language. My conversion program does support them out of box (for example, !! is an already existing digraph). However, the question is about how many unused slots there will end up being in the font.

(Hah, I wonder what this would look like in Fraktur!)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 10:38:51 am by Bisqwit »