News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Castlevania II (Simon's Quest) - Multilingual enhancement  (Read 424208 times)

Easy

• View Profile
Re: Castlevania II (Simon's Quest) - Finnish & English re-translations
« Reply #700 on: October 25, 2013, 07:10:29 pm »
Wanna play this in Japanese taxt. Is it possible to add japanese version?

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #701 on: October 26, 2013, 02:23:15 am »
Im more curious if this project is still being worked on. I hope it is.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #702 on: October 26, 2013, 07:30:20 am »
I doubt it. Too bad. We never got the version with the new intro story.

Bisqwit

• Polite, but politically incorrect.
    • View Profile
    • http://iki.fi/bisqwit/
« Reply #703 on: October 26, 2013, 07:39:05 am »
Hi! Sorry, no progress on the intro music for a month or two unfortunately. I have wanted to try my own hand at composing the music (so I would at least have options to compare against), but I haven't quite had the time to commit for such an undertaking either.

There is a fatal problem currently: The Finnish translation somehow produces a broken patch when downloaded from the patch vending machine. The last working version in that regard is 2.9.8.2. I am at loss what causes it. It is my highest priority TODO item at the moment. The English version is unaffected.

Re: Adding Japanese version -- That would be interesting! I could relatively easily add in the original Japanese text, and possibly also translate endings and stuff into Japanese. I will consider it. As for enhancing the Japanese text to take advantage of the added room... I am not that good in Japanese unfortunately. But I could indeed use the original text.

I doubt it. Too bad. We never got the version with the new intro story.

Would you please quit talking from your ass. The intro version has been available for more than half a year already.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #704 on: October 26, 2013, 09:42:39 am »
Yeah, I haven't been following the thread like I used to. I downloaded the patch a little after I said that and saw the intro. It's very well done.

If there's no further releases then this'd be good enough to call it a final version for me.

Bisqwit

• View Profile
« Reply #705 on: October 26, 2013, 10:15:05 pm »
Wanna play this in Japanese taxt. Is it possible to add japanese version?
Something like this perhaps?

Actual in-game screenshots from a WIP version. Because of VROM constraints, most screens, including the in-game dialog, only use the katakana lettering style. I planned to use katakana+hiragana, but I had to scrap hiragana and use katakana-only. Then I also had to scrap handakuten&dakuten versions of glyphs and instead use the separate ゛ and ゜ glyphs, just like the original game, for pretty much the same reasons. There just weren't enough unused syllables to spare.
The mapping system resorts to rōmaji because the number of glyphs required by katakana (70-80) would be significantly higher than the number of glyphs required by alphabet (~20), and the more tiles there are available for the map graphics, the better it looks. Conversely, compared to the original game, I changed the title screen & menus into kana; they were originally in English.
Line spacing was put as two-lines because so far, all dialog lines (all the original dialog plus the few added lines) fit in five lines.
There is still a lot of work to do before a Japanese version could be released.
- The text typing speed must be changed
- The intro must be translated
- The endings must be translated
- Numerous bugfixes
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 10:34:25 pm by Bisqwit »

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: October 27, 2013, 03:10:10 am »
Glad to see this project continue. :D

Easy

• View Profile
« Reply #707 on: October 27, 2013, 06:55:58 pm »
Something like this perhaps?

Actual in-game screenshots from a WIP version. Because of VROM constraints, most screens, including the in-game dialog, only use the katakana lettering style. I planned to use katakana+hiragana, but I had to scrap hiragana and use katakana-only. Then I also had to scrap handakuten&dakuten versions of glyphs and instead use the separate ゛ and ゜ glyphs, just like the original game, for pretty much the same reasons. There just weren't enough unused syllables to spare.
The mapping system resorts to rōmaji because the number of glyphs required by katakana (70-80) would be significantly higher than the number of glyphs required by alphabet (~20), and the more tiles there are available for the map graphics, the better it looks. Conversely, compared to the original game, I changed the title screen & menus into kana; they were originally in English.
Line spacing was put as two-lines because so far, all dialog lines (all the original dialog plus the few added lines) fit in five lines.
There is still a lot of work to do before a Japanese version could be released.
- The text typing speed must be changed
- The intro must be translated
- The endings must be translated
- Numerous bugfixes

Yes Yes Yes  That so cool.  :crazy: :crazy: Don't forget to change title screen form Castlevania II Simon's Quest  to  ドラキュラⅡ呪いの封印.
Maybe I can help you about translate to Japanese text conversation.

Bisqwit

• View Profile
I have now released version 2.9.8.7.

Compared to 2.9.8.5 (and the no-changes 2.9.8.6 release), this release adds the following new features:

-- There was another missing tile on the title screen, a bug from the original game (the tail of the "Q" letter in "Quest"). I have fixed this bug.
-- If you die right after walking past a road-sign, the gameover screen is no longer mistakenly rendered in oblique font.
-- A Japanese untranslation was added! See below on the features of the Japanese version.
-- The Finnish release is no longer broken.

Japanese version contains all features from the English re-translation, except:
-- The password screen is in English (except for the "end" icon, "おわり")
-- The added intro is in English.
-- The no-added-intro version (i.e. scrolling title screen) is probably very broken.
-- The ending texts are in English (they were so in the original Japanese version too, but this is actually just a TODO)
-- The original game's dialog is always used where applicable, without any changes.
-- There are a few extended dialog lines that have not yet been translated into proper Japanese. A short placeholder text can be seen instead.

The title screen graphics were as not changed into Japanese for the Japanese version. I feel that I am not qualified to touch those logos.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 10:42:58 am by Bisqwit »

Bregalad

• View Profile
日本語 re-translation
I think it's about time you stop calling this complete hack a "re-translation"...

Bisqwit

• View Profile
I think it's about time you stop calling this complete hack a "re-translation"...

So I fix a bug in the game and add an extra language, and you think the appropriate response is to bitch about the project being pointless. Good going sir.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
It is a re-translation. On the patch page you must select a translation as part of the patch. The extra stuff is optional.

Bregalad

• View Profile
So I fix a bug in the game and add an extra language, and you think the appropriate response is to bitch about the project being pointless. Good going sir.
Just to clear it up, no that's absolutely not, not what I said !
I am interested into this project and I find it very interesting, not pointless at all. If I thought it was pointless I wouldn't have posted anything in the 1st place. Why did you think I was so negative about it ? This is a misunderstanding.

It just is more a complete hack than a retranslation. The language changes is now about 20% of the changes you made on the project at the very most, and you add as an option to not re-translate it. So this is not (only) a retranslation. It does of course not means it is bad or whatever, on the contrary.

tryphon

• View Profile
I agree with Bregalad. It's so much more than a retranslation now... One of the most breathtaking work I've seen on this board!

Bisqwit

• View Profile
Re: Castlevania II (Simon\'s Quest) - Multilingual completization
« Reply #714 on: October 29, 2013, 10:02:05 am »
Thank you for the clarification.

What do you suggest for the project name then?

October 29, 2013, 10:42:33 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Maybe I can help you about translate to Japanese text conversation.
I sent you a private message :-)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 10:42:33 am by Bisqwit »

keropi

• View Profile
Re: Castlevania II (Simon's Quest) - Multilingual completization
« Reply #715 on: November 06, 2013, 02:17:19 pm »
great! nice to see you Bisqwit not forgetting this project!
Now with the ED it's a piece of cake to try new versions  ;D
 :woot!: :woot!: :woot!:

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #716 on: November 06, 2013, 03:11:48 pm »
I'm surprised you transcribed "Password" using パスヲード
I've read that ヲ was reserved for the grammar particle and was "forbidden" for foregin transcription. I suck at japanese so I might be completely wrong, but that's was I saw.

Google translate (worst reference ever, I know) gives me パスワード

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: November 06, 2013, 03:16:40 pm »
Indeed password is "wa". Correct. I don't think "wo" is ever used except as a grammer particle (and as such, katakana wo is never used except for katakana-only video games, and maybe robot-speak).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Bisqwit

• View Profile
Re: Castlevania II (Simon's Quest) - Finnish, English & 日本語 re-translations
« Reply #718 on: November 06, 2013, 04:57:30 pm »
Indeed password is "wa". Correct. I don't think "wo" is ever used except as a grammer particle (and as such, katakana wo is never used except for katakana-only video games, and maybe robot-speak).

Thanks for the information, Bregalad and KingMike. I will correct the use of "wo" into "wa" in this context. I was simply going by how I pronounce those words.

I am currently waiting for feedback from Easy with regards to the other translations, especially the secret lines (which I sent by private message).
(Is there anyone else who would like to help, in case I never hear from Easy?)

How about the project title?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 05:41:36 pm by Bisqwit »

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #719 on: November 06, 2013, 09:06:50 pm »
I like the title, but maybe "enhancement" would be a better term than "completization"? It's not like the game was unfinished when it was released, y'know. :P
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR