The thing about those title screen modifications is that the consistent style needs to carry to three things:
- Title screen
- Main menu screen
Now, for the main menu screen, there are three different versions. One with "game start", "password" and "load game"; one with "game start" and "password", and one with "game start" and "load game". Technically there's a fourth one with just one option, but this one is not offered in the vending machine. The one with three options has different geometry from the one with two options.
The vending machine option that gives you the updated prologue is a separate one from the one that chooses which options you want in your main menu.
People may want these different options for different reasons. Some may want them for puritan reasons ("don't you dare to touch the game as I remember it! None of that extension crap for me, thanks"); some may be putting the game on cartridge that does not have the hardware for SRAM support, or they may want to remove the password feature because they feel it's redundant with the SRAM being there.
It is because of this that I cannot make an all-empassing change that affects everything at once. And if I add another selective special case there, the number of files I have to maintain for all the different options increases once more. For instance, for the main menu & title & gameover screen options alone, I now have a total of 12 text files (these files also contain the nametables & attributetables for those menu screens):
For the map renderer assembler module, there are 28 different builds (selected by -D options in assembler):
And the menu handlers' assembler code exists in 24 different variants (selected by -D options in assembler):
I'm really wary at adding anything that increases the number of any of these files. Some types of changes, such as whether to use a consistent style for these three screens, would practically double the number of existing files.
Currently I don't need to have different files for the different title screens, because there's only one title screen for each language.
Also, I really like to keep the version number on the title screen. It is easy to read from there, not bothering much, well, technically
. Now, artistically, I would like it laid out horizontally somewhere, but the reason why I put the text in a rectangle formation like that was to save VROM space. When you're using a 5-pixel tall font, you can fit much more text per N tiles of text when you lay it out in lines than when you waste the bottom 3 pixels of every single tile contributing to the text. The "Simon's Quest" title is HUGE, and does not leave many spare tiles. I'm currently using all spare tiles that there are in that page.
In comparison, here's another one of my translations that includes the version number and the URL on the title screen:
Admittedly, in ToP it can be much briefer, because there the version number does not need to convey a list of patch options...
So yeah... These are the downsides to trying to please everyone.
Also, personally, I really do not like the black inset for the title screen, but I realize that nobody else has voiced this kind of opinion.
In other news, I'm still trying to figure out what went wrong with the last release. It is some kind of random bug with the sprite renderer, and I haven't discovered its source yet. I have seen signs of such a random bug once in a while in the form of random (compile-time random) artifacts on the screen, but this is the first time it becomes a showstopper.