News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: RPG games made in either batch or c++ on youtube  (Read 6214 times)

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
RPG games made in either batch or c++ on youtube
« on: December 15, 2012, 04:11:28 pm »
You thought my battle system sucked?

Take a look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc_oHJalSRM

So you just enter the battle and win? Can't you at least see ANY action? Or even do any action? Kinda boring in my opinion.

This one is slightly better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n33RFK1T1E
Yeah, more like just keeping pressing random keys until you win. Also, I'm pretty sure those lines are mostly output and variabes.
What the hell is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EbER7pKqzw
Same old shit as the first link but even worse this time. Notice in the description this game was 357 lines of code. What was he typing out? Some horrible method?

And what the hell is going in this game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkZiaiw7t-k

You just keep selecting fight until the battle is over? Would I be wasting my turn if I viewed my stats? Seriously, my battle system alone is like 200+ lines of code. That says something. Those battle systems listed above were just easy and boring. Was there ANY way to die in those? I think somebody really clueless on what they're doing would do just fine. With my game, not so much.

Nagato

• View Profile
Re: RPG games made in either batch or c++ on youtube
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 04:21:07 pm »
What point are you trying to make exactly? No one cares who is a better programmer. Almost half of your programming related posts that I've seen have been you putting down other people (your friend(s) and now these random Youtube people), and the other half of your programming posts are, as another user stated in the last thread you made, simple battle systems that prove that you have a long way to go as a programmer. If you come here looking for advice on how to become a better programmer or how to improve your battle engine then by all means feel free to post something. But next time please leave your ego at the door.

Pyriel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 05:29:52 pm »
It looks like whoever coded that last game knows your secret of using a second variable to test for critical hits.  You should probably seek counsel from an IP lawyer.

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 05:37:47 pm »
What point are you trying to make exactly? No one cares who is a better programmer. Almost half of your programming related posts that I've seen have been you putting down other people (your friend(s) and now these random Youtube people), and the other half of your programming posts are, as another user stated in the last thread you made, simple battle systems that prove that you have a long way to go as a programmer. If you come here looking for advice on how to become a better programmer or how to improve your battle engine then by all means feel free to post something. But next time please leave your ego at the door.

I don't put down anyone. However, this thread was just to show you why I'm so happy with my battle system. I have not found anyone on youtube that has a battle system that's not 1 on 1. Those battle systems are cheesey. Its probably because they're making it in batch. But even the other ones are just that same old battle system. Is that like popular? Easy? idk.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 05:47:09 pm »
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 05:52:41 pm »
Ok dude we are all kind of tired of your text based battle system. Everyone's system is going to be different because, guess what? Everybody's game is different.
Come back and show us your code when you have made a graphical rpg. Here is something I did for college a few years back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdQiWfQHMcw

Yes, the battle is one on one but I had only two weeks to slap the WHOLE game together.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 01:42:56 am by Pikachumanson »

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 06:34:02 pm »
Come back and show us your code when you have made a graphical rpg.

Don't feel forced...

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 07:45:45 pm »
So, it can be fun and interesting learn new things. Looking at less experienced programmers can give you an interesting perspective on how far you've come. It's definitely interesting to figure out how to do something. These things are all interesting to you.

Think about how many people there are on this site who can program. If we each "blogged" all of our programming minutiae and vanity on the forum we would drown out everything else as well as each other. Besides that, imagine everybody here who has more experience than you posting topics about how much better their code is than yours. Not only is it insulting to you, but other people just don't care to hear it.

When you've got a game that actually works to some extent, by all means, post a video or a screen shot.

Bongo`

• Hatred is an illness...I feel your pain.
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 06:01:24 pm »
Here are some of the things I've made in my spare time. :)
I doubt it will go anywhere anytime soon.  My Fan-made game and The Editor used to make the game.

EDIT:
One more video just added. :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:07:49 pm by Bongo` »
R.I.P Rose Mary C. 11/20/1937 - 2/11/2007
Dynamic-Designs Over 30 years of video game experience!
Completed: Doraemon RPG, Fuzzical Fighter, Gulliver Boy, Just Breed, FEDA, Mystic Ark, Slayers ( Co-op ), Lennus-II
Current: Aretha-2 and many more...

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 08:28:35 pm »
I was thinking about making a job system in my GUI version I'm working on. It might be just the same as FFT. FFTs battle system looks like fun to recreate. So far I've figured out their turn based part. Now making the point where you can see the turn list would be difficult since I've never attempted that. I suppose I can like a fake loop that just iterates through the array and just increases the counter and returns its like index number and then plot the players name out and what index number they're at. It shouldn't be that hard.

Also, I'm making my graphical remake in VB for simplicity. However, once I make the abilities and such, I have to use like redim to set the array size in the struct which I think is pretty stupid. You didn't have to do that in C++.. Well, its a different language.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 08:46:56 pm »
That 3d Cave dungeon is badass Bongo!

Bongo`

• Hatred is an illness...I feel your pain.
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 09:09:19 pm »
That 3d Cave dungeon is badass Bongo!
Bah! just a stripped down version of a raycasting engine I wrote some time ago. :) Thanks though!
R.I.P Rose Mary C. 11/20/1937 - 2/11/2007
Dynamic-Designs Over 30 years of video game experience!
Completed: Doraemon RPG, Fuzzical Fighter, Gulliver Boy, Just Breed, FEDA, Mystic Ark, Slayers ( Co-op ), Lennus-II
Current: Aretha-2 and many more...