News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Want to make an NHL version of Ice Hockey or Blades of Steel  (Read 5815 times)

dewedup88

Want to make an NHL version of Ice Hockey or Blades of Steel
« on: December 14, 2012, 08:50:22 pm »
I want to create a hack of Ice Hockey or Blades of Steel that features the teams of the NHL, but I've never done this before. Anyone willing to help?

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
Re: Want to make an NHL version of Ice Hockey or Blades of Steel
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 10:28:43 pm »
I will! PM me.

keithisgood

• [DANGER ! ! ! ! ! ! ] [TERROR HORROR]
    • View Profile
    • keithisgood
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 09:02:36 am »
If you don't mind the top-down style, it may be easier to hack Pro Sport Hockey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9kbhAXUKKU

Pro Sport Hockey features 18 teams (I think) and more players; and from what i've dug into the rom, everything is uncompressed and rather simple to adjust.

dewedup88

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 09:54:37 am »
@ pikachumanson: I will do that as soon as I get these kiddos settled down. @ keithisgood: I'll have to check Pro sport out. Never played it.

keithisgood

• View Profile
    • keithisgood
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 10:08:56 am »
Yeah it has its pros and cons. It plays more like a nex-gen hockey game (NHL 94 for SNES/Sega comes to mind). The tradeoff is that the actual play system is a bit tougher to master. Therefore it loses some of the 'fun' factor inherent in Ice Hockey or Blades of Steel. I offered it as an alternative simply b/c you'd have more freedom in roster/team alterations. 

That said, an NHL version of Blades of Steel would probably be a better overall game.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 01:39:05 pm »
If you guys manage to make the Ice Hockey hack then it'll be a great contribution to the community. Especially if you manage to fit all the teams in. That game was fun. I guess you might have to remove the character customizability tho if you plan to represent real people. Unless you are just gonna add listings for the teams and not the players.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 04:32:54 pm »
While ice Hockey would be a bad ass hack I'm not sure how one would format the extra teams on the screen without forgoing the speed options. Pro hockey I think would be perfect for a NHL overhaul.

QuadrupleDeke

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 12:56:36 pm »
Hey guys...
I was just wondering if the NES Ice Hockey "hack" ever materialized?  I would love to learn how to edit this game.  Not so much add teams, but change team names, team colors and difficulty levels if possible.

Deke

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 08:59:23 pm »
It seems there are already two Blades of Steel hacks in the database here.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

QuadrupleDeke

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 01:08:30 pm »
It seems there are already two Blades of Steel hacks in the database here.
Yeah, I saw there was a Sochi 2014 update for Blades of Steel which is probably the result of this thread - and does look awesome.  I'm more of an "Ice Hockey" fan, though, not Blades of Steel - so was hoping someone knew how to edit that game.  In looking at the replies here, it seems like a long-shot, but I thought I would check anyway.

Deke

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 08:56:21 pm »
Blades of Steel is the superior game, see why Here. There should be a hack to make the shooter game appears more frequently. :)

QuadrupleDeke

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 05:50:50 am »
Blades of Steel is the superior game, see why Here. There should be a hack to make the shooter game appears more frequently. :)
You make a valid point!  :thumbsup:
Or maybe a hack that just cuts right to the shooter game so you don't have to play the actual hockey.  8)
Blades of Steel just seems...robotic, to me.  I love the arcade style of Ice Hockey.  Customizable players with certain attribute sets (although simple).  Fat guys with blazing slap shots....and zambonis!

Does anyone know how to change team names and colors at least?  I'm at a loss with the team names as you can't just update them in hex, they are graphics that get "pulled in" somehow and teams use the same letters from 1 single location - I'm not familiar enough with that.  Colors should be easy enough, I just don't know where the locations are in hex.

Deke

keithisgood

• View Profile
    • keithisgood
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 10:31:04 am »
Okay. You're dealing with simple table file text editing.  There are docs in the database which cover the topic, but for brevity's sake, I'll explain text editing in Ice Hockey.

The team names are stored from 0x005e3a to 0x005ebe. The first three bytes at address 0x005e3a are D5 D3 C1, spelling "USA." If you were to open up the PPU viewer in FCEUX, you'd see how the letters are stored in the game, and you'd get this table file to translate between hex code and game text:

B7=0
B8=1
B9=2
BA=3
BB=4
BC=5
BD=6
BE=7
BF=8
C0=9
C1=A
C2=B
C3=C
C4=D
C5=E
C7=G
C8=H
C9=I
CA=J
CC=L
CD=M
CE=N
CF=O
D0=P
D1=Q
D2=R
D3=S
D4=T
D5=U
D7=W
D9=Y
DB=:
DC=!!
FF=K

What I recommend is using FCEUX to change team names. Load the rom, and from the "debug" menu, go to Hex editor. In the new hex editing window, go to view->ROM File to give you a look at the entire game code. Then go to file-> Load *.tbl File and load the file attached to this message. The table file will translate hex into usable text for you. Then its a simple matter of CTRL+F to Find and typing in the word you want to change, such as "SWE." THis will take you to the address you want. Click on the right hand column, and type whatever country name you want instead of SWE. Then save your rom. Voila! You have changed names.

Other games sometimes use more difficult methods of text storage, but many, less text-heavy games use what amounts to a simple cipher like this. Once you figure out the cipher, it's pretty easy.

Let me know if you run into any problems.

tkabt06

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 04:45:45 pm »
Where can I find the TBL file?

EricThaDead

• View Profile
    • DECI.ML
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 05:30:57 pm »
B7=0
B8=1
B9=2
BA=3
BB=4
BC=5
BD=6
BE=7
BF=8
C0=9
C1=A
C2=B
C3=C
C4=D
C5=E
C7=G
C8=H
C9=I
CA=J
CC=L
CD=M
CE=N
CF=O
D0=P
D1=Q
D2=R
D3=S
D4=T
D5=U
D7=W
D9=Y
DB=:
DC=!!
FF=K

Just copy all of that into a text file, change the file extension to .tbl and you've got yourself a table file!

tkabt06

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 04:45:44 pm »
thanx.

Question - How can i add other letters? I miss like.. F V and swedish Å Ä Ö

also.. could someone help me do an tbl for blades of steel?

EricThaDead

• View Profile
    • DECI.ML
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 07:09:26 pm »
To create a table file, for most NES games, you'd want to load up the ROM in FCEUX, and get to a point in the game featuring the type of text you want to change. Then from the Debug menu, open the PPU viewer. This should show you the tiles currently being displayed (although this isn't always the case with every ROM). Hover your mouse over a tile representing a text character and the hex value will be displayed below. So, in Blades of Steel, for example, E6=A, and you'd save that in your table file.

As far as adding characters new characters that don't exist in the ROM, you'd have to use a tile editor and add them yourself, being careful not to overwrite anything important.

tkabt06

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 02:57:09 am »
Yeah ok. So i need to make a tbl for every screen?
Tblater i wont get running on my Mac. :/

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 04:15:51 am »
Yeah ok. So i need to make a tbl for every screen?

No. One table should work for the entire game.

Question - How can i add other letters? I miss like.. F V and swedish Å Ä Ö

You would have to locate the graphics in ROM via a graphics editor and if you have room, maybe you could add the characters you need near the end in some open space (if you are lucky). Then you would need to update your tbl file to reflect the changes.

Blades of Steel is the superior game, see why Here.

I've played BoS but I can't really remember it. NES Ice Hockey was a lot of fun though. Really simple but good.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

tkabt06

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 01:47:22 pm »
Seems like i have two tables. one for start-screen and one for the game. I think I got it. But i don't know how to add my Å Ä Ö letters..

Also another problem.
If a text from the original in the game is in like 6 letters. For example SWEDEN. And i wanna write a new word in 7 letters, example LEKSAND. there is problem. How do i solve that?