Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: シュビッ?  (Read 13539 times)

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: シュビッ?
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2012, 09:01:49 pm »
I've never had that before. Does it not make you just want to up and quit?

It's made me want to facewall and eroded my faith in humanity. But I did win in the end.

Edo's Yu-Gi-Oh! Page is no longer misleading the fanbase with its incessant stupidity. And I've become something of a minor translation authority on the Yu-Gi-Oh! Wikia. :3
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2012, 09:42:39 pm »
It's made me want to facewall and eroded my faith in humanity. But I did win in the end.

Edo's Yu-Gi-Oh! Page is no longer misleading the fanbase with its incessant stupidity. And I've become something of a minor translation authority on the Yu-Gi-Oh! Wikia. :3

I'll keep that in mind. I sometimes get commissioned to write definitions of Japanese words in English for online dictionary sites (if someone searches for a word and there is no definition in the database then the searched word get put into a list and then that list gets sent to me to translate). Yugio card titles are surprisingly common. I normally have to take guesses as to what the card name in English might be and then search it in google to find the official translation, if there is one.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2012, 11:01:54 pm »
I'll keep that in mind. I sometimes get commissioned to write definitions of Japanese words in English for online dictionary sites (if someone searches for a word and there is no definition in the database then the searched word get put into a list and then that list gets sent to me to translate). Yugio card titles are surprisingly common. I normally have to take guesses as to what the card name in English might be and then search it in google to find the official translation, if there is one.
time to send more work your way, then, I guess ;P
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Myria

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2012, 07:27:19 pm »
This many more times.

One thing I can't fucking stand is people who cannot speak Japanese complaining about someone else translations. It just makes my blood boil.
I complain about Ted Woolsey's translations, and I can't read Japanese.

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2012, 07:56:01 pm »
I complain about Ted Woolsey's translations, and I can't read Japanese.

Go do a head stand into a lawnmower

Myria

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2012, 01:03:45 am »
Go do a head stand into a lawnmower

My point was that I don't think your hard line on criticism is entirely valid.  I can't read Japanese, but I know the alphabet, so I can complain about Woolsey renaming ティーナ to Terra and ミリア to Tyr (in two different games).

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2012, 01:29:44 am »
My point was that I don't think your hard line on criticism is entirely valid.  I can't read Japanese, but I know the alphabet, so I can complain about Woolsey renaming ティーナ to Terra and ミリア to Tyr (in two different games).

Well, complaining about the quality of something you actually paid for is a lot different and I can't really take away your right to moan about something you precieve to be stuff-up, but just remember that despite all that, Ted Woolsey is still infinitely better at Japanese than you are. So while you have the right to voice your opinions, complaining about his translations is a bit like a person with no taste buds complaining about the steak dinner you just ordered. No one is saying you can't do it, you just look like a complete asshole when you do.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2012, 08:22:23 am »

He had reasons to change Tina to Terra (I don't know anything about Miria to Tyr, I don't even recognize the reference). Supposedly, to the Japanese audience, Tina is an exotic name. In the US and Europe? It's not an entirely uncommon name. Terra sounds more exotic to English-hearing ears (or English-reading eyes). I won't claim that it's entirely great to be changing names around, but at least this example wasn't done on a whim. Check out Tomato's justification for changing Yokuba's name to Fassad (it had to do with puns).
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.