News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: シュビッ?  (Read 13096 times)

granz

• View Profile
    • granz' corner
Re: シュビッ?
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 11:06:35 pm »
Like i said i just did it for the hell of it because i was wondering what it said myself. I dont see what the big deal is anyway. If i offended anyone then i do apologize, it wasnt my intention.

I don't think anyone was addressing you with those comments. It was just a general sentiment toward people who complain about fan translations not being 100% inclusive or literally accurate, even though the people complaining don't understand Japanese themselves.

No worries :)
I'm no longer active on RHDN, but I keep coming back to troll, whee!

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 11:07:24 pm »
Like i said i just did it for the hell of it because i was wondering what it said myself. I dont see what the big deal is anyway. If i offended anyone then i do apologize, it wasnt my intention.

What? No. We're complaining about something completely different now. People piss and moan like cats sleep and eat around here, gotta keep on top of all the first-world-problems if you want to stay alive kiddo.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 07:14:54 am »
I don't think anyone was addressing you with those comments. It was just a general sentiment toward people who complain about fan translations not being 100% inclusive or literally accurate, even though the people complaining don't understand Japanese themselves.

Here's a worst-case scenario for you: people who not only don't understand Japanese, but base their attitudes about translations - official and otherwise - on other people's translations which are wrong.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 07:41:27 am »
Here's a worst-case scenario for you: people who not only don't understand Japanese, but base their attitudes about translations - official and otherwise - on other people's translations which are wrong.

I've never had that before. Does it not make you just want to up and quit?

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 08:15:53 am »
I've never had that before. Does it not make you just want to up and quit?

Why take the easy way out?
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2012, 09:09:16 am »
I should've added this earlier: A lot of people seem to hold certain languages that they don't fully know as this mystic thing that has a near ritual for every word, sentence, everything.

A thousand times this. I think anyone who's learned Japanese has been guilty of this at some point or another, though.
Sign THIS!

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2012, 09:16:19 am »
Why take the easy way out?

Why bother doing unpaid translations for ungrateful patrons?

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2012, 09:16:27 am »
A thousand times this. I think anyone who's learned Japanese has been guilty of this at some point or another, though.

Probably. I won't deny that some words sound much cooler in Japanese (to a person who's native language isn't Japanese). But c'mon. If you're writing a translation, translate it, don't keep it there and then add a subnote saying "Keikaku = Plan". Puh-lease.
Who will quote me next?

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2012, 10:00:05 pm »
Why bother doing unpaid translations for ungrateful patrons?

Most depressing thing I've read all day.  :(
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2012, 10:50:30 pm »
Most depressing thing I've read all day.  :(

?

Eien Ni Hen

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2012, 11:19:40 pm »
?

I interpreted your comment as: "Fans suck. Why bother doing something for fun? Just get that money." Probably not how you intended it, but damn if it didn't depress me. I've been doing fan translation as a hobby for a long time, and if I were only in it for the fans/appreciation/notoriety I would've stopped long before now.
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2012, 11:40:31 pm »
I interpreted your comment as: "Fans suck. Why bother doing something for fun? Just get that money." Probably not how you intended it, but damn if it didn't depress me. I've been doing fan translation as a hobby for a long time, and if I were only in it for the fans/appreciation/notoriety I would've stopped long before now.

Exactly. Most of the translators on this board do translations primarily for themselves and their friends, yet are nice enough to release their translations to the public. When I meant was simply not releasing translations to the constantly-complaining-yet-somehow-feel-entitled masses. Let them play the game in Japanese if they feel they are proficient enough in the language to take pot-shots at someone else's translation. It's like complaining about the free samples you get at the supermarket.

I translate professionally and have never been subjected to the level of rudeness, ungratefulness and all-round bullshit that a lot of fan translators put up with.

It's not just games and rom-hacks either. I remember browsing some anime related boards a while ago and people were  complaining about (what they perceived to be) mistranslations in the fan-sub. So they were complaining about an anime series they didn't pay for, which was subbed by someone for free so they could enjoy it in the first place. It makes me rage so hard that I can't stand to read anime forums anymore.

Anyway sorry for bringing you down. This should cheer you up.

Eien Ni Hen

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2012, 12:10:32 am »
Exactly. Most of the translators on this board do translations primarily for themselves and their friends, yet are nice enough to release their translations to the public. When I meant was simply not releasing translations to the constantly-complaining-yet-somehow-feel-entitled masses. Let them play the game in Japanese if they feel they are proficient enough in the language to take pot-shots at someone else's translation. It's like complaining about the free samples you get at the supermarket.

I translate professionally and have never been subjected to the level of rudeness, ungratefulness and all-round bullshit that a lot of fan translators put up with.

It's not just games and rom-hacks either. I remember browsing some anime related boards a while ago and people were  complaining about (what they perceived to be) mistranslations in the fan-sub. So they were complaining about an anime series they didn't pay for, which was subbed by someone for free so they could enjoy it in the first place. It makes me rage so hard that I can't stand to read anime forums anymore.

Anyway sorry for bringing you down. This should cheer you up.

Ah, that makes more sense. You meant it in a "I can't believe you put up with this." way, rather than a "Why are you doing this for free, sucker?" way. That (and the crazy video) make me feel better.  :D

I've never done fansub work (partly for the reason you describe), but the closest thing I've gotten to complaints are that I'm not working fast enough (manga translations). To those people I say TS. :P

jka12002

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2012, 02:31:51 pm »
Professonal translators make this mistake too you know. Remember Super Street Fighter 2, cammy's ending?

Japan version - She was actually a body created by Shadaloo for Bison to transfer himself into.
USA version - Bison and Cammy were former lovers.  ::)

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2012, 04:38:06 pm »
Japan version - She was actually a body created by Shadaloo for Bison to transfer himself into.
USA version - Bison and Cammy were former lovers.  ::)

Actually... I doubt that was an accident. Given what you just revealed, there was probably a moral issue here, what with a guy transferring himself to a woman's body. In the localizers' minds, they probably felt that wouldn't go over too well with the Moral Guardians, at least not in the USA. (Obviously an irony, and hypocrisy, considering how USA is the land of the free and home of the brave, but whatever)
Who will quote me next?

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2012, 04:52:24 pm »
That's not even completely true, Japanese SSF2's ending only stated that she was a spy working for Shadaloo who lost her memory. Though the translation still is pretty... off; I wonder why they changed this, it isn't nearly as controversial as the cloning one (which actually was in the English version of SFA3, as far as I can tell), and it makes no fucking sense, to boot.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2012, 06:26:07 pm »
Professonal translators make this mistake too you know. Remember Super Street Fighter 2, cammy's ending?
1) Most likely not professional translators in any sense besides doing it for pay.
2) Most likely not a mistake; Capcom changed all sorts of things due to hasty marketing-type decisions back in the day. It’s the same sort of thinking that brought us Bad Box Art Mega Man from a time when Japanese video game companies in the U.S. tended to be little more than a marketing sub-department with a company name.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2012, 07:49:50 pm »
I'll also agree that first ending sounds really creepy and possibly controversial. I'd be surprised if NoA wouldn't have censored it.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2012, 08:27:01 pm »
Lost is correct. The Japanese SSF2 ending is actually less spicy.

Of course, another reason the official SF2 translations don’t read very well is that they decided to stick with space limitations.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

jka12002

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2012, 08:39:35 pm »