News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Pokemon Yellow NES Translation Project  (Read 149826 times)

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
Re: Pokemon Yellow NES Translation Project
« Reply #180 on: September 25, 2014, 03:04:44 am »
Sorry for the bump, but I have an acquaintance by the name of Dr. Floppy who seems quite adept at converting mappers.  No telling if he could modify a proprietary Chinese mapper.

Probably.

But like KingMike said, if you want this thing to run on a PowerPak, MMC5 is out. Most of the Pingpong Pirate mappers are MMC3 variants, so if the total memory could be parred down to 256/256, this could definitely be a thing.

Question of the Day: If regular pirates say "ARRRR!!!", do Chinese ones say "ELLLL!!!"?

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 25, 2014, 02:22:09 pm »
Some more progress has been done, the game up to Lavender Town is finished.  Once Celadon City's finished, I'll release a new patch.
Enjoy Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy? Check out my Dissidia Duodecim mods!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjcyBHNeY1g&app=desktop

FastFourierTransform

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 25, 2014, 02:27:34 pm »
Probably.

But like KingMike said, if you want this thing to run on a PowerPak, MMC5 is out. Most of the Pingpong Pirate mappers are MMC3 variants, so if the total memory could be parred down to 256/256, this could definitely be a thing.

Question of the Day: If regular pirates say "ARRRR!!!", do Chinese ones say "ELLLL!!!"?

Glad its possible. Can you do it though? (When the project is finished.)

SBolton123

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 04, 2014, 10:10:40 pm »
One thing that sometimes bothers me when playing, in the party menu, a few of the Pokémon have some sprites that don't match what they look almost like in their actual appearances and sometimes different colors. I can give a few examples, Nidoqueen being colored orange, Nidoking being colored blue, Koffing looks a bat, Exeggcute looks like a blue ball (although a ball does match him but I think red/pink/purple is more appropriate). Exeggutor looks like a green Rhydon, Mewtwo looks like a blue Dragonite and there's probably a few more then what I can think of. But would be great if there was an editor or something to fix some of the party menu sprites.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 09:59:04 am by SBolton123 »

MrFaust

• Noob Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 05, 2014, 10:13:26 am »
Honestly I'd like to see the game completely translated before any of this other stuff is addressed.
I feel asleep

SBolton123

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 06, 2014, 02:03:04 am »
Honestly I'd like to see the game completely translated before any of this other stuff is addressed.
I guess you do have a point but it might be possible to do a few of the extra features in-between the translation.

m0sh

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 06, 2014, 03:16:09 pm »
will you release a translation-only patch as well? I would love to play this game exactly the way it was released but in english. I loved everything. from the. titlescreen to the washed-out colors just the way they are lol BTW huge fan of your work on restoring FF7 and can't wait to see what you do with BioHazard!

CloudGamerX

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 13, 2014, 04:37:31 pm »
Probably.

According to the ROM size, it's 2MB. so that means even if you split it, it would be 1MB CHR + 1MB PRG. From my understanding, only MMC5 can really handle this much data, and even then it would have to be modified a bit to even work. MMC3 can handle only 1/4 of that, so that means many things would need to be cut out of the game's code to make it possible to run on MMC3. This goes for Final Fantasy 7 as well, sadly.

SBolton123

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 09, 2014, 02:37:09 am »
So how are we with this project? Almost feels abandoned for some reason.

Space King

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 11, 2014, 08:37:47 pm »
But would be great if there was an editor or something to fix some of the party menu sprites.

It could probably be trivially added to the editor I made. If the colors are three sequential bytes, all you need are the addresses. But those would have to be identified by someone who is not me. As I am exceptionally lazy.

The addresses are loaded already from FrontLocations.txt, you can just add them to the end of the file and it should work.. if they're sequential bytes.

SBolton123

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 12, 2014, 08:38:22 am »
Yeah I'd probably wait until a new version of the editor has that feature, seeing as I'm no expert (and kind of lazy at the same time) in what you just mentioned.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 16, 2014, 03:11:54 pm »
Sorry for the lack of updates, I haven't had much time to work on this game this week.

But I have a new update!  I finished the translation up to Saffron City.

So here's the new patch for the game: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w63yu607gua187v/Pokemon%20Yellow%20English%20Translation%2011-15-2014.ips?dl=0

It goes over the original Chinese version of the game

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 11, 2014, 01:15:17 pm »
Some more progress!

All of Saffron is finished along with Route 12.  So with them, the translation's 60% finished!

And so far I have about 50 unused dialogue pointers for extra stuff. I'm hoping to have plenty of extra space in the dialogue banks for the extra stuff.
But I'll have to wait until after the PokeDex descriptions are done to do anything extra since I know they'll take up a hefty bit of space.

December 14, 2014, 11:12:23 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I just found out I'm actually a bit farther ahead than I thought.  Route 15, 16, 17, 18 don't exist in the game. 

So I finished Route 13, 14, Fuchsia City, and Sea Route's 19 and 20. 
Which puts me at about 80% finished as far as the translation goes!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 11:12:23 am by Lugia2009 »

SBolton123

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 19, 2014, 01:15:43 am »
Not bad, the translation has gone very quick and its been two years since this project started. I was actually gonna point out that Cycling Road doesn't exist in the game and I guess you could say that Route 14 is merged in with Routes 13 and 15.

Don't forget to translate the post game events I brought up earlier back in July XD

m0sh

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 22, 2014, 03:25:44 am »
i sent a PM but ya...Jncota's POKEMON PLATINUM FAMICOM PIRATE HAS BEEN DUMPED! Translate & Restore THAT why don't ya?  ;)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 03:57:04 pm by danke »

mcmustang51

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 23, 2014, 09:56:56 pm »
Some more progress!

All of Saffron is finished along with Route 12.  So with them, the translation's 60% finished!

And so far I have about 50 unused dialogue pointers for extra stuff. I'm hoping to have plenty of extra space in the dialogue banks for the extra stuff.
But I'll have to wait until after the PokeDex descriptions are done to do anything extra since I know they'll take up a hefty bit of space.

December 14, 2014, 11:12:23 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I just found out I'm actually a bit farther ahead than I thought.  Route 15, 16, 17, 18 don't exist in the game. 

Keep up the good work, I've been following this for a while now.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 15, 2015, 05:32:03 pm »
I hit a bit of a bump, I couldn't get the man blocking the way to victory road to move after getting the 8th badge.

But I figured it out, so got a bit more done! The only thing left to translate is Indigo Plateau and the post game stuff, which puts the translation at 94.4% done!

90s Retro Gamer

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 15, 2015, 06:18:44 pm »
Cool project. I remember first playing Pokemon Red on my big red Gameboy. Then when Pokemon Yellow came out in '99(?), it was like a treasure hunt to find a copy of it still on store shelves. I ended up getting that and a teal GBC!

Perhaps this tool can help. Select "Chinese" to "English"
https://translate.google.com/

SBolton123

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 17, 2015, 01:38:23 am »
I found Lugia in the first area after getting Pikachu T_T
Might wanna point that out again but the Level 10 Lugias on Route 1 still appear, not sure if its been fixed for other people but it still happens for me  :huh:. Although they do make perfect for leveling up faster when starting a new game and I don't have to keep grinding levels on Pokemon the same level as mine seeing as its a bit slower.

shadowmanwkp

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 20, 2015, 05:24:03 am »
Perhaps this tool can help. Select "Chinese" to "English"
https://translate.google.com/

Don't ever use machine translations. They botch grammar, word meaning and a whole slew of other things simply by clicking on the translate button. This is especially apparent in translations from Japanese and Chinese, because they are not like English at all.

Case in point:
Hij valt met de deur in huis

Google translation:
He falls to the door at home

Literal translation is: "He falls along with the door into the house"
Correct translation is: "He's cutting straight to the point"