News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Pokemon Yellow NES Translation Project  (Read 147641 times)

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Yellow NES Translation Project
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2013, 05:14:07 pm »
As it's not your project, Lugia is free to name the character as he pleases. I support the fact that he is following the naming the Chinese game used. Also, Pokemon Yellow (as this game is based on) follows the Anime, and not Red from Red or the various manga, so he has every right to go with "Ash" as the name. If you don't like it, I am positive it's a very simple hack the change the name to Red. I'm surprised you're not arguing over the Gary/Blue/Green dilemma as well.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2013, 07:10:01 pm »
The problem I have with the brown Pokemon is that when you use the golden brown pallet, they closely resemble their shiny sprites from Generation II and not the normal colors. Look at bulbapeida's sprite section for each Pokemon to see what I mean. The chinese creators made the pallets look like what SGB Yellow did.

With the NES pallet you can only work with what you're given, but even so I think it best if you used the SGB and GBC pallets as a guide when deciding the exact colors each Pokemon should be.

Space King

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2013, 11:10:46 am »
I can agree that I may not have used 17 as liberally as I could have; in retrospect, if the PAL palette is considerably lighter like I've heard of, it's probably the best choice in many situations.

Still, more concerned about using light blurple as a substitute for light grey; it's always a compromise between hue and luminance... It's not like I'm a dictator here; the thing's out there for people to do whatever they want.

On the "use Pokemon 2 as the guide", I empathically disagree. On three main counts:

* Consistency. The rest of the game uses GBA-style saturated colors.

* Many of those sprites look really assy.

By your own testimony, you agree with point #2 as you haven't used Venomoth as an example of heathenism. Despite it being far and away the biggest departure from Pokemon 2. On the same line, Cubone, Kangaskhan... always were big giant balls of eye needles in that game.

The NES is completely capable of displaying a bulbasaur that looks much like this:

But you'd have to be a bit of a weirdo to want to.

Especially considering that a TV doesn't have that heinous gameboy greenish beige as its base color. And doesn't make you struggle and squirm around to get every ounce of reflectable light onto the damn thing.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 11:31:50 am by Space King »

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2013, 12:38:02 am »
This is one impressive project, and I'm surprised at the quality.  Nice work!  I'm not sure if you're a high caliber hacker, but I was wondering if you could disassemble whatever you have so far of the game, so that others could hack it to see fit.  Most of the game's problems stem from the original game itself, so fixing some gameplay issues shouldn't be your responsibility.

Ideally, I wish I could hack this game to use MMC5 (for the per-tile BG palette assignment and more graphics memory) and to make it look closer to GSC, but be a remake of RBY.  Additionally, while the game already pushes the NES' calculation and sub-calculation systems, I wish I could make all the battle gimmicks mirror the later games as well, or at least implement some fixes/traits of the newer games (split Attack and Sp. Attack for one).

Also, doesn't the NES have a limit with how many palettes you can define?  Like 16 for backgrounds and 16 for sprites?  Or is there a trick to create multiple "unique" palettes by taking an existing palette and making the game alter the colors, like how it's done for the Mega Man games?

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2013, 03:33:46 am »
I think it's limited by cartridge space, although it's true that the NES can have only 25 colors on-screen at a time (one background color, 12 background titles, three three-color sprite palettes).

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2013, 03:44:50 am »
Hmm, I could've sworn that I read that the NES has this bizarre palette limitation, which restricts how many palettes you can define and use.  Not as in the 4 for backgrounds and 4 for sprites regarding display, I mean storage space.  Not sure if it's related to storage space or a design choice on the Famicom's hardware.

In either case, I'm curious, this might conflict with certain Pokemon and how they are colored, especially since there are 161 unique Pokemon in this game.  But yeah, I believe this hack should stay as close to the pirate game as possible so that it can be later hacked by others as they see fit.

<<<always wanted to play the first Pokemon games on TV and in color, specifically NES.

Space King

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2013, 11:11:16 am »
On the subject of the Pokemon 2 sprites, let's be serious here. The GBC colors were never canonical. They were created in greyscale mode first and foremost, and the color mode was an afterthought at best.

Eh, and another version of the Palette Patch. Just a small fix - had two colors flipped on Nidorina..

which restricts how many palettes you can define and use.  Not as in the 4 for backgrounds and 4 for sprites regarding display, I mean storage space.

Eeeeeh not in any absolute sense. I mean, this game or Final Fantasy 3 simply would not work if they didn't have virtually infinite palettes to swap to.

A lot of games criminally under use palette swapping imo. Dragon Quest locking itself down to only four palettes for overworld sprites (because they decided they NEEDED to display your entire party walking around at the same time), is an example.

I think it's limited by cartridge space, although it's true that the NES can have only 25 colors on-screen at a time

I believe there are a few games that have it where the tiles don't have to share a color through some wizard doodad, boosting this up to 28?

Um.. still, the Master System blows the NES out of the water on the graphics front. I think they even have the colors red and brown on that beast.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 12:18:46 pm by Space King »

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2013, 02:01:37 pm »
To be fair, the Final Fantasy games blatantly re-use palettes for things, much more obvious examples being the Black Mage sharing colors with the Monk and Thief, or the Fighter sharing colors with the White Mage and Red Mage.  But I still think it's a mystery.

I kinda liked the GSC sprites, they did excellent looking sprites with just 3 colors and transparency.  Some came out obviously wrong like the -Saur family, while the rest came out surprisingly good.  The cross hatching though is very hit or miss.

Also, regarding your previous idea of using sprites to overlap the Pokemon background graphics, that sounds like a great idea.  However, there's a tiny problem with that.  The Pokemon attacks use sprites, and they would likely cause flickering once too many of them are on the same line.  The GBC, despite being miles ahead of the NES, still suffered from the flickering problem.  Only difference is that the screens are way narrower (160 vs 256), so there was no need for more graphics on screen.  Shantae on GBC is designed the way it is because of flicker.  Shantae herself uses loads of palettes stacked on top of her, which would cause flickering if more than 2 enemies are onscreen.

Just curious, but how tricky would it be to make the health bars change color?  I was thinking the best way to do this would be to have BG palette with the colors black/green/green.  How this works is that the one green is for your own Pokemon, while the other is for the opponent.  When your Pokemon reaches 1/2 life, the first green will then turn orange, while the second green stays green since their HP is above 50%.  Sounds like it could work?  Also, is there enough room for there to be 8 different tiles for the HP bar, with each bar being 1 pixel smaller than the last?  Or how does this game handle the HP increase/decrease animation?

Also, what mapper does this game use, a proprietary Chinese mapper?  If so, what would be the most realistic mapper this game could use for reproduction purposes?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 01:34:14 am by OneCrudeDude »

mcmustang51

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 03, 2013, 12:15:37 pm »
Where are we at with this project?

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 03, 2013, 08:33:11 pm »
To be fair, the Final Fantasy games blatantly re-use palettes for things, much more obvious examples being the Black Mage sharing colors with the Monk and Thief, or the Fighter sharing colors with the White Mage and Red Mage.  But I still think it's a mystery.

I kinda liked the GSC sprites, they did excellent looking sprites with just 3 colors and transparency.  Some came out obviously wrong like the -Saur family, while the rest came out surprisingly good.  The cross hatching though is very hit or miss.

Also, regarding your previous idea of using sprites to overlap the Pokemon background graphics, that sounds like a great idea.  However, there's a tiny problem with that.  The Pokemon attacks use sprites, and they would likely cause flickering once too many of them are on the same line.  The GBC, despite being miles ahead of the NES, still suffered from the flickering problem.  Only difference is that the screens are way narrower (160 vs 256), so there was no need for more graphics on screen.  Shantae on GBC is designed the way it is because of flicker.  Shantae herself uses loads of palettes stacked on top of her, which would cause flickering if more than 2 enemies are onscreen.

Just curious, but how tricky would it be to make the health bars change color?  I was thinking the best way to do this would be to have BG palette with the colors black/green/green.  How this works is that the one green is for your own Pokemon, while the other is for the opponent.  When your Pokemon reaches 1/2 life, the first green will then turn orange, while the second green stays green since their HP is above 50%.  Sounds like it could work?  Also, is there enough room for there to be 8 different tiles for the HP bar, with each bar being 1 pixel smaller than the last?  Or how does this game handle the HP increase/decrease animation?

Also, what mapper does this game use, a proprietary Chinese mapper?  If so, what would be the most realistic mapper this game could use for reproduction purposes?

FCe Ultra will tell you what mapper, and there's no board outside the  original board where this game will be able to be reproduced. Our best option is to have InfiniteNESLives design a board.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2013, 05:03:21 pm »
Now that I've finished working on Final Fantasy VII. This project has now been picked back up. 

There's been some changes since the last update, I recolored all of the menus to give them more vibrant color, all pokemon have been recolored, and all trainers names have been translated.  I also altered the pokedex screen a little to make the area for text larger so it can support another line of text.  I'll be able to give better Pokedex descriptions now. Also the orange text boxes of the battle menus have been changed to white.

And with the trainers, I found 2 unnecessary sprites. Thanks to what I've learned from working on Final Fantasy VII, I will likely be able to make special events from scratch for optional trainer fights.  From what I've seen, the event system commands for both games seem to be very similar. 

Not much more has happened with translating the main game (I lost my old game save), so I started the game over and just spent time catching all pokemon at level 99.

I tried looking into making pokemon "00" into MissingNo. but it looks like that won't be doable.  So I'm going to try and add a pokemon to the game, which may very well be easier said than done.

Here's some screenshots of the new menus and battle screen.

Here's an updated patch. enjoy :)

https://db.tt/dpNXnISA
Enjoy Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy? Check out my Dissidia Duodecim mods!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjcyBHNeY1g&app=desktop

gadesx

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2013, 07:19:22 am »
This game have ending? or its only a short version of the game?
There is a lot of ports/demakes in nes that are only 2 stages...

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2013, 07:58:00 pm »
This game have ending? or its only a short version of the game?
There is a lot of ports/demakes in nes that are only 2 stages...

From what I've seen, (I haven't finished the whole game yet), just about everything is there.  All cities, gyms, the elite 4, the trainers you meet that give the Red/Blue starters, and all legendaries. I know the mini game from the gaming corner is missing.  And you can't ride the bike in this game.

Also, there's a few special trainers that weren't even in Pokemon Yellow:

I'm not sure yet if they are even used in the game, but if they aren't, I can make new events to add them in

And along with them, all regular trainers from G/S/C that weren't in Yellow are in the game.

*Update*

I fixed the blue arrow in the battle dialogue that would sometimes cover up the text. I moved t to the bottom right of the text box.

Also, I fixed what was wrong with Pokemon 00, so now there is a total of 160 Pokemon in the game.  I just can't change it's name from ------------ since that is linked with the Pokedex, also the ? picture is also linked with the Pokedex, so I can't change that either.  But it does have it's own stat growth curve, moveset, and type. 
And it won't appear in the Pokedex.  If you do fill the pokedex, it'll say you've seen 160 pokemon and caught 159.

And I finished the sprites for the 2 extra trainers.

I probably should've put this before, but here's a comparison of the menus now and before:
Enjoy Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy? Check out my Dissidia Duodecim mods!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjcyBHNeY1g&app=desktop

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 12, 2013, 02:43:07 am »
I noticed that some of the fonts seem a bit strange looking in some of the translated pics. Will they be changed to look a bit better?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2013, 11:21:53 am »
I'd also suggest trying to make the font look more consistent between menu text.

ASH
MONEY
Pokemon
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Vague Rant

• Deceptively cute
    • View Profile
    • Vague Rant
« Reply #115 on: December 17, 2013, 10:11:27 pm »

I don't know if you're copying these descriptions directly from the Game Boy game/s and don't want to alter them, but if you're not averse to making fixes, the correct usage there would be "its" rather than "it's". Possessive "its" has no apostrophe, perhaps by relation to "his" and "hers"; I guess the rule is "possessive pronouns don't take apostrophes"?
I've got nothing to say, but it's OK.
Vague Rant

sanchez513

« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2013, 07:24:15 pm »
I don't mean to be pushy, I'm a huge fan of your work, but when you are finished would it be possible for you to post a patch that only includes the translation? with none of the other changes made. I would truly appreciate it.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2013, 11:27:33 pm »
http://imageshack.com/a/img834/3944/sp7o.png

Withdraw
Release
Stat

This needs work to be visually pleasing.

I take it that these are tiles, and not actual writable areas.

So what you ought to do is have centered text rather than the stretched, and the text should match for all entries. If you can't edit the size of the tiles so be it, but at least don't have the super stretched ugly look in your current beta.

Withdraw is the best word to use, but if it can't fit properly without looking awful as it currently does, use shorter words.

Take
Set Free or SetFree or
Set
Free
Status (there does seem to be room for the full word if you do it properly)

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 24, 2013, 01:12:15 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:24:39 am by Chpexo »

Chippy2000

• I'm the CREATOR Pokemon Gold Beta/Alpha Revival!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 24, 2013, 02:05:17 pm »
Hmm...I LIKE THIS  ;) !
*Downloads*

December 24, 2013, 02:15:32 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
JNES says 'Mapper #163 unsupported'

Why is this? I used Lunar IPS to patch it. Is that the problem?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 02:15:32 pm by Chippy2000 »
COO of The Chippy Cooperation (TCC)

I'm...just here...floating in space and stuff...