News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Pokemon Yellow NES Translation Project  (Read 160662 times)

Zoinkity

• View Profile
Re: Pokemon Yellow NES Translation Project
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2013, 07:56:15 pm »
Wow, when was this game made?  That's crazy that they have generation 3 moves in a NES title!  It's cool it has all the type rollovers from metals, but wow, meteor punch!?

pikahax

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2013, 06:01:00 pm »
It could be as early as 2004 that this game was made.

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2013, 07:41:19 pm »
Its ironic how the NES version has better graphics then the original.

Lugia2009

• Yes that was a banana. No one expects the banana
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2013, 10:04:15 pm »
I think it's sometime in 2005. Samurai Spirits Shodown 2 is dated 2005. That game is labeled NJ033 and Pokemon Yellow is labeled NJ046. But it probably was developed before 2006.
Considering how they added Pokemon from Gen II and III to this game, I would imagine if the Gen IV games were released, some of those Pokemon would've made it into this game too.

Space King

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2013, 07:17:48 pm »
Hated the battle palettes in this thing, very washed out - not even up to gold/silver standards. Magicarp isn't red, Nidoking looks like a dark purple turd - just barely any consideration to contrast and saturation at all.

Coulda been closer to the GBA colors, in many cases : /
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 12:42:10 am by Space King »

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2013, 04:47:55 am »
Its ironic how the NES version has better graphics then the original.

That's because the Famicom pirate version "borrow" its tilesets from the GBA's FireRed and LeafGreen, not the original GameBoy's Red and Green or even Gold and Silver.

Hated the battle palettes in this thing, very washed out - not even up to gold/silver standards. Magicarp isn't red, Nidoking looks like a dark purple turd - just barely any consideration to contrast and saturation at all.

Coulda been closer to the GBA colors, in many cases : /

I think that's harsh, considering the NES's limited pallet and how dang good this effort is compared to pretty much any other example. How about the Famicom pirate versions of Chrono Trigger, Golden Sun or Tales of Phantasia?

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2013, 04:51:49 am »
Man those chinese guys are killer with their hombrew!

Space King

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2013, 07:27:09 pm »
I think that's harsh, considering the NES's limited pallet and how dang good this effort is compared to pretty much any other example.

I don't mean to crap all over it, it is indeed a great product; but as it's been said they had GBA-era sprites to plagiarize and could have matched colors better to it or the animu. It's just really weird - while the battle sprites seem to be all from Gold and Silver, the palettes of some are inconsistently from Yellow or Red.

While some of them are due to hardware limitations (that Pikachu is as yellow as he's going to get, but he looks pretty good still. Magikarp doesn't have a (255,0,0) red to select.) there's nothing keeping the less attractive palette picks from being refurbished, is there?

<- (Knows one or two things about pikachus, but no more than that)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 10:10:03 am by Space King »

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2013, 12:33:34 pm »
I can see what I can do the brighten some of the colors for the Pokemon.

Space King

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2013, 03:43:52 pm »
I... I've been fiddling with it myself a little. (And would have saved myself half an hour if I knew 0F was the black they use*.) I promise nothing, but uh, if it's trivial I'll do it maybe.

Uh, back, back burner it waaaay in the back is all I mean to convey here.

* "Nah they wouldn't use that! Better use some corruption up in here...."
/brb palette data stored on a 27 0F 38 silver platter

Light orange Pikachu versus current lime Pikachu:

Doesn't seem as trivial as I had hoped. There doesn't seem to be a fixed distance or pattern of distance between entries as far as I can tell??

That each bloc seems to start with 30 and end with trailing 00's means it might be simple to search them out...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 07:44:24 pm by Space King »

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2013, 04:06:46 pm »
Question: Is the name for the protagonist fixed? If yes, the name Ash should be replaced with his original name, which is Red.

Space King

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2013, 05:55:56 pm »
With a tiny bit of game time under my belt:

Is it just me, or does the move speed of the protagonist... is it a little wonky in places? Moving slower vertically, and some random ground tiles slow him down like he's walking through mud?

Re: Title Screen Stuff, I love the title screen they shipped with. It is the best screen.

Also: How they toggle between the Silver and Gold sprites for the "animation" at the beginning of each fight: that works way, way better than it has any right to.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2013, 10:08:24 am »
Doesn't seem as trivial as I had hoped. There doesn't seem to be a fixed distance or pattern of distance between entries as far as I can tell??

The distance is different because the color for the Pokemon is also located within the graphics and tile layout.  Since the Pokemon sprites vary in size, the space between the color settings is going to be different.

I thought I'd help you with the Pokemon recoloring.  If you want to adjust which pokemon you run into in the wild, go to 0x074fbb-0x074fca. 

This area controls the type of Pokemon you find in the beginning area of the game, and the level they are when you encounter them.

They are made up of 4 digit sets. The first 2 digits controls the pokemon you find, the second 2 digits is for the level.

Change 0x026a3d to 04 to change the store inventory of the first town so they sell masterballs.

And change 0x02fc32 and 0x02fc33 to 00 to change the price of the masterballs to 0.

Hope this helps :)

Question: Is the name for the protagonist fixed? If yes, the name Ash should be replaced with his original name, which is Red.

I thought about naming him Red, but this is a remake of Pokemon Yellow, his name would have been Yellow.  His original name would be Red in Pokemon Red.  But since this game follows the show a little more closely than Pokemon Red, and Blue, I think the name Ash is more appropriate.

Space King

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2013, 11:43:57 am »
Okay, mah palette editor is finished. Behold its majesty.

Just have to finish out the last ~250 addresses. Considering I knocked out the first ~50 before noon with time for breakfast and finishing out the editor, shouldn't be too onerous, despite that entering stuff by hand is error-prone. <- (Famous last words)

I thought I'd help you with the Pokemon recoloring.  If you want to adjust which pokemon you run into in the wild, go to 0x074fbb-0x074fca. 

This area controls the type of Pokemon you find in the beginning area of the game, and the level they are when you encounter them.

They are made up of 4 digit sets. The first 2 digits controls the pokemon you find, the second 2 digits is for the level.

Change 0x026a3d to 04 to change the store inventory of the first town so they sell masterballs.

And change 0x02fc32 and 0x02fc33 to 00 to change the price of the masterballs to 0.

D'aw, was hoping for the moon (a save from someone with all or most of them captured) but this will indeed help a metric fuckton.

TYVM.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 12:08:57 pm by Space King »

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2013, 01:39:02 pm »
Your Welcome and great job on the palette editor :thumbsup:

Just keep in mind that there's 159 Pokemon in this game, not 151.  (160 if you want to count) After Mew is Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-oh, Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza.

Space King

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2013, 08:25:42 pm »
The IPS Patch
The Palette Editor Program

The zip with the editor includes the IPS patch.

Do whatever you'd like with either.

This modifies only the in-battle palettes of pokemon. None of the in-battle trainers or any other sort of palette has been altered.

If Pokemon Lei melts your eyes while playing, you probably have to change your emulator's palette settings. This brought up a question I wondered about: does the Famiclone system this game was made for, does it have a different system palette than the Famicom?

A before/after; most of these are on the more dramatic side of the transformation.

(An aside: I tried to add this image along with its RH entry, as I feel it's a better representation of the scope of my three days of effort. It was summarily rejected by the system in place, which makes me sad.)

My intention here was "what if the colors selected for the pokemon were developed by a human being, and not by the automated sprite-ripper/stuffer/plagiarizer software they use?"

In an ideal world, the GBA colors trumped the GBC ones. Much more often then not, that fell through:

* The pokemon in question has a few components that require more than two colors to color. The Bulbasaur series is an example - you can't have a green plant and a cyan lizard-frog. The colors in GBC are what they are for a reason.

* Irresponsible cross hatching. Sometimes a perfectly good sprite was ruined by Game Freak's automated cross-hatching algorithms for no reason. As trivia, the biggest offenders of this are: Blastoise, Ekans, Exeggutor and Farfetch'd. Ekans could have a red mouth and purple body if only his body segments were outlined in black. Farfetch'd in particular is grating since they shipped the game with neon green speckles all over his body - it's like a joke character no one ever looked at during QA or something. Slowbro also has a little of this - his shell could be any color, if it also weren't the same colors of the black lines on his body.

So in practice, this ended up applying only to Venomoth and the Machop line.

Quality disclaimer

I checked all 160 front sprites with the editor - I'm pretty sure they're modified correctly. The backsprites....... well let's just hope I didn't botch one or two of them, which is completely possible.

Even if the editing locations were 100% correct, it is possible I made some errors in input (just a few minutes ago I discovered I didn't match Chansey's back with its front) or some terrible color combination selections. There's only two chinpokomon who I don't have using the same palette front and back: Arbok and Rattata. Any other mismatch, and it's probably an error from being on autopilot.

Post Mortem Thoughts

The nes palette desperately needs someone to build a time machine and add some brown and another grey or two to it. I now hate the color orange to a potentially irrational level.

You know how every pokemon game has a trillion new water types added? I think I know the REAL reason: the designers just desperately want to add the color blue to the game. And they can't add it anywhere else easily.

The party menu screen could use the lime > light orange shift for Pikachu's sprite too. And it has some old palatte selections of its own, such as the blue Nidoran Female being lime in the menu, and the purple Nidoran being blue. I remember these being pretty janky back in the Game Boy days though..

I always wondered if the team that made this game ever aspired to creating an original title of their own. I suppose from a practical standpoint that's a "maybe" - they clearly don't have the manpower to develop art and music assets on their own. But on the other hand, a cunning use of plagiarism can give you more than ample resources to put together a fantastic, original, patchwork game...

A GBC-exclusive Pokemon Gold/Silver could have looked way better, couldn't it have? A colored ground in the battle screen, extra sprites layered over the existed sprites to add more colors (there's only two static monsters on screen at once - they have room for overlapping some moar sprites onto things). Just an odd what-might've been..

*** Thanks again to Aerezoloh for the save file; saved me a lot of time.

---------------
Very close to finishing the address list and doing an automated test run to see if I hit everything.

If anyone has a save/state with a lot of guys already caught or just a very high number of monsters "seen" so they show in the pokedex, that'd help kickstart my QA immensely.

June 11, 2013, 12:06:42 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Confirmed face sprites 100%. Have not confirmed all back sprites - but I'm sure it'll be fine. It'll be fine.

The NES's palette is pretty miserable when it comes to anything with red in it. Three highlights for magenta, one shade available as blue-magenta. Nidoran isn't going to look that good with his ordinary scheme..

And GameFreak themselves seems to be trying to destroy me, with sprites like this.[/url] Why are there blue speckles on his chest? That does not make sense! All it does is limit the contrast you can have between skin and outline or shell to hide the ugly. Arrrg

But fortunately the in battle colors for this game are easy to improve - Charmeleon looks about three or four times better than how they had him.

June 11, 2013, 02:20:02 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
An amusing thing about this rom - they keep shuffling the order on their palettes so instead of  Black - Shade - Color they could be stored in any order. Apparently... even they found this slightly confusing: I am almost certain they put Fearow's colors in backwards on accident.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 12:12:40 pm by Space King »

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2013, 10:58:05 pm »
Great job with this :thumbsup:.  This is a much needed improvement to this game.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2013, 12:31:52 am »

Yeesh, talk about mixed results.

Charmeleon, Pikachu, Suicune, Venomoth and Poliwhirl are noticeably better, but...

Cubone, Raticate, Farfetch'd and Hitmonlee are far far WORSE with that pallet!

One step forward one step back.

Space King

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2013, 09:02:51 am »
Just a reminder, the IPS patches hosted on the mainsite here will be out of date for a couple months still, at least. The only changes I made in 1.1 is that the Clefairies and Jigglypoofs are light pink blobs like in the anime.

Cubone, Raticate, Farfetch'd and Hitmonlee are far far WORSE with that pallet!

One step forward one step back.

Wa, wat? Are you sure you're reading the picture right?

I've never seen a dark green jello Farfetch'd in me life. Or a pale-skinned Hitmonlee. Or a black and white uncolored blob.

Even blasting my gamma up to the max to simulate a LCD on crummy settings, I still don't see it.

Any way I try to look at it I, I can't parse what criteria you're using here. halp

If yes, the name Ash should be replaced with his original name, which is Red.

The wiki on contraband says the character is named after Ash's Chinese equivalent. So Ash should be most faithful to the creator's intent, according to the shady wiki about shady games.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 06:58:53 pm by Space King »

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2013, 11:56:14 am »
I still insist that he needs to be renamed into Red, in Pokemon Special [1] and all the other games, it is his name. Also in the manga and the games they own a Pikachu.
Ash is a inferior copy of the original. He is supposed to never grow up or to win the pokemon leagues. As long as Pikachu stays popular, Ash needs to be hold back, otherwise they would eventually lose their target group (which are children) and lose money.
To give Red the name Ash, is a offence, to what Red has accomplished.

[1] Creator Satoshi Tajiri has stated that it is more faithful to his original idea than any other adaptation.